Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come our roads get potholed so fast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How come our roads get potholed so fast?

A December 2007 Advertiser article said that during the previous year the city filled 68,586 potholes in the 1,100-plus miles of the county's mostly residential roads.
    http://news.hawaii.com/article/2007/...712120426.html
    That is a lot of holes, and probably a lot of tire and rim damage! Wonder how many potholes were also filled on State Hwys?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
      Global warming.....hey they blame it for everything nowdays
      So then we can take it one more step and conclude that potholes and bad roads are caused by the Bush Administration!
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I think in Hilo at least, the dumb road crews try too hard to fix potholes. I witnessed during the last BIG rain, a road crew actually fixing a huge pothole in the hard rain! This amazed me because how is the asphalt suppose to set when the hole is full of water and debris? Today the same hole not 2weeks old is cracking and ready to go.....Auwe!
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

I think in Hilo at least, the dumb road crews try too hard to fix potholes. I witnessed during the last BIG rain, a road crew actually fixing a huge pothole in the hard rain! This amazed me because how is the asphalt suppose to set when the hole is full of water and debris? Today the same hole not 2weeks old is cracking and ready to go.....Auwe!

But gotta give them credit for trying right?

Comment

Potholes are triggered in already distressed pavement by the pumping action of water as it is pounded by the weight of vehicles. Water is not compressible and therefore the water in cracks tends to pry apart the asphalt when subjected to compression. Crews have a couple choices when trying to fill potholes while it's raining. One is to use a "cold mix" AC(asphalt concrete) that is workable at ambient temperatures but is not very strong since it never really sets up. This is a temporary measure. The other choice is to bring out "hot mix" AC which can be placed in light rain since it is batched at over 200 degrees. This choice of course requires an asphalt plant in operation and encourages one to go after multiple potholes to make it all worthwhile. You wouldn't do this for a single hole or even a few.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I witnessed during the last BIG rain, a road crew actually fixing a huge pothole in the hard rain! This amazed me because how is the asphalt suppose to set when the hole is full of water and debris? Today the same hole not 2weeks old is cracking and ready to go.....Auwe!
              They are supposed to try and keep the holes filled, even during rain, because if a rain puddle is hiding a big pothole and a car comes along and unknowingly runs over the hole it can be a dangerous driving hazard. The fact the holes need to be "refilled" later doesn't change the fact that the roads need to be kept safe.
              Thumbs up to road crews that work even in the rain!
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                Potholes are triggered in already distressed pavement by the pumping action of water as it is pounded by the weight of vehicles. Water is not compressible and therefore the water in cracks tends to pry apart the asphalt when subjected to compression. Crews have a couple choices when trying to fill potholes while it's raining. One is to use a "cold mix" AC(asphalt concrete) that is workable at ambient temperatures but is not very strong since it never really sets up. This is a temporary measure. The other choice is to bring out "hot mix" AC which can be placed in light rain since it is batched at over 200 degrees. This choice of course requires an asphalt plant in operation and encourages one to go after multiple potholes to make it all worthwhile. You wouldn't do this for a single hole or even a few.
                And to think it was the pothole ferries digging them up all this time

Comment

Why not quick set those rainy day patches with a little napalm-b?
                  Yah.
                  Cook for 10 minutes at 2,200 °F, lather, rinse, repeat.
                  "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Working...
                  X