This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rail Transit

hi this is sansei and i spoke with my sister who live's in the mainland and i shared with her my thought's on rail and she said rail would work only if it was like a rail type like the muni bus or a trolley it wouldnt work is that's inconvenient and its somewhat noisy like what panos would think of our proposed rail.

my sister say's nowday's the rail is very quiet and sufficient and she sometime's ride's the rail and it's not noisy like when i was a youth that i rode the rail and it's quiet so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Watched the news the other night and saw the antis drove a truck with speakers in the bed blaring "rail noise."

Was wondering if they accounted for the elevation of the tracks and the speed of the train in their "experiment."

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
        Watched the news the other night and saw the antis drove a truck with speakers in the bed blaring "rail noise."
        Hey, what channel was that, dick? I’d like to check it out.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Was wondering if they accounted for the elevation of the tracks and the speed of the train in their "experiment."
          I don't know about the elevation, other than I'm wondering why the top-heavy speakers didn't tip over while the truck is moving.

As for the speed, the "experiment" truck can only go as fast as the regular traffic.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
            hi this is sansei and i just Ann k's new commericial and she think's rubber on concrete could be the best way only i disagree is i saw it with my eye's that it look's just like a modified bus and it's not like steel on steel rail and that's the true rail so i thought to share this with everyone.

I disagree with Ann K's stance based on the fact that it will cost tons of money to keep replacing those rubber tires. Besides, vehicle tires is a major pollutant for our ocean and streams. Probably the worse. When it rains, all that crud on the road ends up in our ocean waters.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
              I disagree with Ann K's stance based on the fact that it will cost tons of money to keep replacing those rubber tires. Besides, vehicle tires is a major pollutant for our ocean and streams. Probably the worse. When it rains, all that crud on the road ends up in our ocean waters.
              And what happens to all those worn-out tires?

At least with steel wheels the steel is easily recycled.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                At least with steel wheels the steel is easily recycled.
                With Steeler's Wheel, it's gonna be Stuck in the middle of...

Comment

Was it louder than an ice cream truck?
                  Comedian Steven Wright said that the ice cream truck in his neighborhood plays Helter Skelter.

Comment

I visited San Jose a little over a year ago. They have a steel-on-steel mass transit system that went right through town. I don't recall it being loud and obnoxious. I must say, though, I never saw a whole lot of people riding it.

Comment

I voted for Ann in the primary, specifically because she claims that her rubber tire-on-concrete plan will be cheaper. Both she and her campaign manager, Donovan Dela Cruz, have worked very hard to hold Mufi’s administration accountable. Here is just one example. Despite this, if Ann doesn’t come up with some “concrete numbers” soon, I will vote for Mufi in the general. We can’t have a wishy-washy mayor who relies on vague generalities. I demand specifics in exchange for my vote, and if you can’t provide it, STFU.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

I visited San Jose a little over a year ago. They have a steel-on-steel mass transit system that went right through town. I don't recall it being loud and obnoxious. I must say, though, I never saw a whole lot of people riding it.
                        From my mainland experience they were not overly loud either. As for ridership, they do tend to be a economic lemon.

Does anybody know what the predicted fare box return percentage will be on this thing?
                        Last edited by AlohaKine; September 25, 2008, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Fare box return percentage? You're kidding, right? The fare box return will be integrated into The Bus' numbers - breakout numbers will never be published. Since rail will only be supplemental to the bus transit system, most riders will be transferring from bus-to-rail and/or rail-to-bus. To estimate that figure, you'd have to review before/after rail integration numbers, correcting for factors such as fare increases (I'd expect one within a year [+/-] of the time rail goes online so as to 'muddy the waters'), bus route changes, etc.

Here's why the fare box return percentage will be integrated:

Let's say The Bus costs $300 million to operate a year and the fare box returns $100 million. Then the fare box return percentage is 100/300 x 100 = 33%. Now when rail goes online, let's say the bus/rail system costs $360 million to operate (financing costs are excluded, of course). If the fare box still returns only $100 million (fare box return increase due to rail equals zero), then the total fare box return percentage is 100/360 x 100 = 28%. Notice how 28% compares to 33% - doesn't look too bad for a rail fare box return percentage of zero, eh?
                          Last edited by salmoned; September 26, 2008, 09:07 AM.
                          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

At this point, farebox recovery with rail is nothing more than conjecture. Without real operational numbers, it is just best guess. While an integrated fare box recovery percentage may have bus numbers helping rail, it can equally be the opposite. That rail ridership could actually boost the bus fare box recovery percentage in an integrated percentage.

Comment

I attended the AARP sponsored shredaramarellathon yesterday in Kapolei. AARP is in favor of rail and handed out a flyer with reasons to vote Yes. Under the header..."If you think traffic is bad now...", 2 of the 4 points listed are:
                              ...by 2030 there will be an estimated 30% more travel on Oahu
                              ...by 2030 rail will shrink peak hour traffic congestion by 11%

I'm curious if that 11% figure is based on todays traffic count or on the anticipated 30% increase by 2030. If the latter, then that means we'll still be dealing with an anticipated traffic increase of 19% in 22 years. Even that is unacceptable! Also curious; they state 30% more travel, not 30% more cars. Am I the only one who finds these percentages and word choices confusing? In reality I'm confused about the entire issue as I see both pros and cons.

Comment

hi this is sansei and i saw the newest rail commericial and one person who support's rail say's to vote yes and one who is with the coaltion stop rail now say's vote no is he in his thought's think's rail would cost traffic congestion and i disagree,rail would help everyone.

if it was voted no on,then we'd wait for maybe more than 20-30 year's or more to have a mayor to bring rail back to the table and by that time,it maybe to late and we'd all sit in traffic congestion.

Comment

Working...
                                X