X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rail Transit

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    So... you buy a bus pass and you can ride the rail too?
    It has become integrated in that fashion here in the Seattle area (and then some). There are different agencies involved (Seattle Metro runs the buses within the city, Sound Transit runs the light-rail within the city as well as the trains that run south of town, other transit agencies run other buses throughout the region, etc.), but now, you can buy one single pass-card that is good on all the systems. Not only that, but you can add value to the card in person, at transit stations, through the mail or online. Then you just scan the card at a reader on a bus or light-rail station, and don't need to carry "exact change." The value of one ride will transfer to another, no matter the vehicle, and if there's an additional fee (for a longer distance transfer, for example), the next scan will calculate that and subtract it from your account.

Comment

So... you buy a bus pass and you can ride the rail too?
      Since they've mentioned that transfers would work, I believe that will be the case. However, going forward, I hope they eventually segment the monthly passes into a bus only, rail only, and combo. Why? Because it would be a fairer price structure for those categories of users. Of course, this would work best if they switched from an honor system to one with turnstiles but I don't think we've reached that level of sophistication yet.

Comment

hi,i just recently spoke with my mom's youngest sis and she shared with me that when she once lived here many year's ago in about the early 70's-80's that she shared with me that when you wait for the bus,it's not pleasent and she waited for hour's to catch the bus and she shared with me,

that rail is good for here since she shared with me on her bus experience and that we'd all have trafficgridlock and that i shared with her on the new website system that'll keep an eye on the traffic only she shared with me that's not a good system is that people would have accident's here and there and that this new web system wont deleviate the problem of trafficgridlock and that rail is needed.

well thank's for your time

Comment

hi,i just not long ago,spoke with my mom's youngest sis and she shared with me that if our current gov doesnt sign for paper's for the rail,then we here would have much gridlock in our live's and then if pp was elected mayor,she shared with me that everyone here who didnt wish for him to be elected would certainly blame pp if he was elected mayor. if kc won and became our mayor, he and mh when of what i shared with my mom's youngest sis that she agree's that mh and kc would work together to put rail on the map and it would give people who live here job's and my mom's youngest sis is correct.

she shared that buse's and fixing road's and for people to be paitent while being in gridlock would be uptight and they wouldnt enjoy it.

when my mom's youngest sis lived here many year's ago,she wished they're'd be rail so she wouldnt have had to sit in gridlock.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

hi i just viewed a documentry on a local station which show's many thing's and this time,they showed gridlock in a foreign country and many people were unhappy due to the gridlock.

also if this happen's here even though if they tried toll booth's with a possible high price,it wouldnt work and this is a true reason we need rail so that their'll be less gridlock and people would get home eariler and not so many would be unhappy.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Hmmm... although I have been following (and occasionally participating in) this thread since its inception, I must admit I haven’t read all 1,056 posts. Did this ever come up? Being that Honolulu already has a problem with the practice, how much (if any) would steel-on-steel rail make it worse?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                Hmmm... although I have been following (and occasionally participating in) this thread since its inception, I must admit I haven’t read all 1,056 posts. Did this ever come up? Being that Honolulu already has a problem with the practice, how much (if any) would steel-on-steel rail make it worse?
                I would have to believe the issue would be limited because the system proposed here would be elevated. The train stations are scheduled to close 12AM - 4AM so conceivably, thieves could get onto the tracks then. But I don't know enough detail on the stations to know if they actually will have gates at the station entrances that close up during off hours. If so, then that should further reduce the chance of copper theft happening.

Comment

If the system is vulnerable at all, at any point, to vandalism then it is doomed from the start.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

If the system is vulnerable at all, at any point, to vandalism then it is doomed from the start.
                    Then that would mean anything.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                      Then that would mean anything.
                      You gotta take a prison toilet mentality, if there's ANY way for someone to !!!! something up, they will. It has to be designed 110% tamper-proof or gong it now.

Comment

You gotta take a prison toilet mentality, if there's ANY way for someone to !!!! something up, they will. It has to be designed 110% tamper-proof or gong it now.
                        I agree to a certain point. With public infrastructure, there's a level of acceptable risk that needs to be taken. Otherwise as stated before, then everything would be susceptible and nothing will ever get built.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                          I agree to a certain point. With public infrastructure, there's a level of acceptable risk that needs to be taken. Otherwise as stated before, then everything would be susceptible and nothing will ever get built.
                          This is different, any tampering can cause the system to be compromised enuf to shut it down completely or delay it into uselessness. There are no detours...

Comment

This is different, any tampering can cause the system to be compromised enuf to shut it down completely or delay it into uselessness. There are no detours...
                            No more different than someone tampering with copper wire for street lights. Or thieves stealing man hole covers. That's pretty detrimental for any vehicle traveling a decent speed. As I said, all public infrastructure should no longer be built if we can't accept a certain risk level.

Comment

Sorry for jumping into this one so late, as I am relatively new here, and I live on Kauai. I was born on Oahu, and lived in Kalihi Valley until I became an adult.

On the fixed rail, do you realize, for the amount of money we are going to spend on it, we could more than triple our bus system? That would include the purchases of the buses, the labor for operating it, the maintenance, and the parking areas when the buses are not in use.

I remember having to catch three buses in order to get from Kalihi Valley to Manoa, and two buses to get from Kalihi Valley to Wakiki, and the amount of time it took. Actually, I am old enough to remember the electric trolley buses that went from Kalihi to Waikiki and Kaimuki.
                              Nobu

Comment

Originally posted by Nobunaga View Post
                                Sorry for jumping into this one so late, as I am relatively new here, and I live on Kauai. I was born on Oahu, and lived in Kalihi Valley until I became an adult.

On the fixed rail, do you realize, for the amount of money we are going to spend on it, we could more than triple our bus system? That would include the purchases of the buses, the labor for operating it, the maintenance, and the parking areas when the buses are not in use.

I remember having to catch three buses in order to get from Kalihi Valley to Manoa, and two buses to get from Kalihi Valley to Wakiki, and the amount of time it took. Actually, I am old enough to remember the electric trolley buses that went from Kalihi to Waikiki and Kaimuki.
                                Nobu
                                I've heard this suggestion before but it doesn't quite address a critical component. Where will all the extra buses go with roads already being congested? If you think watching all the buses bunch up on Beretania is bad during rush hour, what will it look like when that number is tripled?

Comment

Working...
                                X