This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rail Transit

Looks like one of the contractors for the rail project doesn't have a good reputation.

Los Angeles is not the only city that has complained about its business dealings with AnsaldoBreda. In 2004, Boston transit officials ended a $222 million deal with the company, and canceled delivery of train cars after "frequent breakdowns," according to The Boston Globe. Ultimately, the two sides reached a settlement.

Officials in Washington, D.C., have also complained about train cars manufactured by AnsaldoBreda's predecessor, Breda Costruzioni Ferroviarie. In 2005, the Washington Post reported the city's Metro had to spend $382 million to overhaul its fleet of so-called Breda cars, which needed new brakes, propulsion and other improvements.

Earlier this month, the mayor of Hornell, N.Y., reportedly complained about AnsaldoBreda's delays, which resulted in furloughs for workers, according to the Buffalo News. In 2009, the Copenhagen (Denmark) Post reported delays and operational problems with AnsaldoBreda cars.
    Honolulu rail spokeswoman Jeanne Mariana Belding told Civil Beat there is a clear distinction between AnsaldoBreda and AnsaldoHonolulu, which is handling core systems for the city's $5.5 billion project.

"In the contracting world, that distinction is actually a big deal," Belding said. "In this case, the contract was awarded to AnsaldoHonolulu, which is a joint venture of AnsaldoSTS and AnsaldoBreda. It's just not the same company."
    On one hand, I can see what she's saying; the son does not bear the sins of the father. On the other hand, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I also hear stories about business people starting new companies while their old one is still in the process of being sued.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Has the eventual fare ever been mentioned? I figure they'll place it $1 above The Bus fare, which would be $3.50 if we could ride today. Would you ever pay that much to ride a restrictive route that may not allow things like bikes?
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The deal-killer:
        Ansaldo Honolulu will build 80 rail cars for Hono­lulu. Each train will consist of two cars that will seat up to 72 people, with enough standing room for 318 people.

As tho the picture wasn't gloomy enuf already...
        Bum rush that boondoggle, baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          Has the eventual fare ever been mentioned? I figure they'll place it $1 above The Bus fare, which would be $3.50 if we could ride today. Would you ever pay that much to ride a restrictive route that may not allow things like bikes?
          Bikes are allowed, where does it say it won't?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            Bikes are allowed, where does it say it won't?
            Sounds like an assumption.... Remember what assumptions indicate:
            When one assumes it makes an ass of u and me. We need facts.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

We havn't yet been given info on pertinant minutiae like bikes and fares to my knowledge. Please point me to the decided facts on these.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                Sounds like an assumption.... Remember what assumptions indicate:
                When one assumes it makes an ass of u and me. We need facts.
                We havn't yet been given info on pertinant minutiae like bikes and fares to my knowledge. Please point me to the decided facts on these.
                I didn't say anything specific about fares. I only mentioned that the system accommodates bikes.

http://media.staradvertiser.com/imag...ewsRAILbig.jpg

Comment

I didn't say anything specific about fares. I only mentioned that the system accommodates bikes.

http://media.staradvertiser.com/imag...ewsRAILbig.jpg
                  That's more like it. Your previous post sounded like a guess. Quoting the specs in response to Ron's doubts about bike inclusion would have been clearer.

Good research, pardon my impudence.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                    That's more like it. Your previous post sounded like a guess. Quoting the specs in response to Ron's doubts about bike inclusion would have been clearer.

Good research, pardon my impudence.

Does that mean we can expect no tolerance of anti-rail hints without facts to back it up?

Comment

Each car can accomodate 1 bike, or 1 wheelchair... not too great, but better than 0.
                      What happens when a wheelchair comes on, as they probably get priority?

Comment

Each car can accomodate 1 bike, or 1 wheelchair... not too great, but better than 0.
                        What happens when a wheelchair comes on, as they probably get priority?
                        I would guess that becomes an odds statistic, probably on the low side. But if it happens, I would hope the person with the bike yields the space. The layout is similar to the Ansaldo cars on LA Metro's Red Line. A lot of bikers would just move their bikes to the standing area by the doors if the wheelchair spot is taken.

Comment

I would guess that becomes an odds statistic, probably on the low side. But if it happens, I would hope the person with the bike yields the space.
                          If it actually comes down to there being only one spot for all, it will usually be filled with a wheelchair, then surfboards, and that pretty much eliminates bikes on rail. Another blow to rail's midsection. If they instead are lax about bikes mingling with pax, then that will be 'interesting', but I don't see it happening.

Comment

If it actually comes down to there being only one spot for all, it will usually be filled with a wheelchair, then surfboards, and that pretty much eliminates bikes on rail. Another blow to rail's midsection. If they instead are lax about bikes mingling with pax, then that will be 'interesting', but I don't see it happening.
                            Since I've been asked to provide proof to back up statements, is there anything substantiative to show that bikes are not allowed to mingle with pax? I hope you can see that bikes mingling with pax will happen regardless because there is no separate "trunk" or "section" for the bikes to get to that designated spot. They all enter and leave through the same doors so that is mingling.

Comment

If they allow such a cattle car mentality to prevade this already muddled matter then the issue weighs even more on the side of failure from the start. I've long been for a killer rail system, but we'll never see one.

Comment

If they allow such a cattle car mentality to prevade this already muddled matter then the issue weighs even more on the side of failure from the start. I've long been for a killer rail system, but we'll never see one.
                                So what would be your notion of a "killer rail system"?

Comment

Working...
                                X