Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Crane crunches Aiea pedestrian overpass

Originally posted by timkona
    First of all, DRIVER WATCHES THE LOAD. End of story. If you were under orders to drive over a bridge, and the bridge had been bombed, would you drive your load into the river? I think not.

TunnL, you need to point out the moments when I'm not being truthful. Otherwise it's just hearsay.
    My brother-in-law was assigned to many assignments as a "driver" during his first stint in Iraq.

Most of the times it was taking direct orders where to go and how to drive.

If you were under orders to drive over a bridge, and the bridge had been bombed, would you drive your load into the river? I think not.
    If I was under orders...sorry TK I'd drive that bugger where ever I was told.

and my brother-in-law has driven through many bridges that were bombed...
    Last edited by damontucker; September 6, 2006, 10:47 PM.

Comment

In this morning's Star Bulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/09/07/news/story01.html

Army regrets traffic jam
      The drivers who struck an overpass have their licenses suspended
      By Leila Fujimori and Nelson Daranciang

"The Army suspended the licenses to drive any military vehicles of both the driver and the assistant driver, a 19-year-old private first class.

The Army is conducting an investigation, which could result in either the driver and/or the assistant driver facing a court-martial, though it is not likely, stressed Army spokesman Lt. Col. John Williams.

» Gov. Linda Lingle acknowledged that her administration could have better communicated the freeway closure to the public and others. She said she regrets the inconvenience and frustration it caused. Lingle said the Army vehicle did not have a state permit to transport its load, a hydraulic excavator, on the freeway. She said even though the Army transported the excavator on the freeway before, it needed a new permit because it had another piece of equipment attached this time, which made it too tall to fit under the bridge.

Tom apologized on behalf of the Army, expressing "deep regret for the effect this had on families throughout the island."

"We empathize with the strain the resulting traffic placed on everyone," he said.

Tom, deputy commanding general for U.S. Army Pacific, said "the boom of the vehicle was in a position higher than in previous transports."

When asked about what police could have done better, Capt. Fujii said, "We did the best we could with the resources available."

From now on, any closure of a freeway will trigger notification of state Civil Defense, Lingle said."

Yep, Apology expected and noted. No word of where to send in claims for reimbursements of damages sustained from the mishap yesterday.

Hmmm...of course everyone could have, would have, should have but didn't and promises to do better the nexrt time around. What ya expect them to say?

K-den. I going back moemoe. I hope I made sense, I'm all gagas ova hea.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        An interesting and unfortunate side note from that same article:

Ambulance workers responded to one incident related to Tuesday's traffic delay: a motorist who died behind the wheel of his van. The van was on the side of the freeway near the Army vehicle that damaged the pedestrian bridge. A television camera man noticed the man was not moving and notified police.

Comment

KHON's 6 p.m. news broadcast last night was all about this accident. I mean, several segments, some live, about the mess, then weather, then sports. Nothing else. I was sure Joe was going to make some snarky remark, but he played it straight.

Over on KITV at 5 p.m., poor Paula Akana did her best to "anchor" the news live from the side of the freeway, but stumbled quite a bit and seemed on the verge of a hair and make-up catastrophe. After several segments on the accident, though, Shawn Ching took over in the studio, and started with, "In other news... and yes, there is other news..."

They're saying they're definitely going to rebuild the bridge. Still, it was interesting to hear how KHON played up the importance of the bridge (interviewing kids walking home from nearby schools -- who looked pretty young to be walking along highways alone!), while KITV minimized it (describing it as lightly used).

Coverage continues in this morning's Advertiser and Star-Bulletin. In addition to the highway signs that were struck moments before the bridge impact, the Advertiser notes the same vehicle may have been involved in another traffic accident as well. Both note the press conference in which it was revealed that the same excavator was transported the other way (Schofield to Pearl Harbor) without incident... because it was partially disassembled to fit under overpasses. Other big rig drivers are expressing amazement that the thing even got on the freeway, one saying, "The military has designated truck routes that require the use of Kamehameha Highway and Kunia Road instead of the freeway."

The driver may have been following orders, but common sense has got to kick in somewhere. When the first sign was struck (or, when another vehicle was hit), some light bulbs should have gone off. But it's obvious that there were huge gaffes further up the chain. The excavator was transported with the right paperwork and without incident before, so it's obvious someone seriously dropped the ball.

Lingle's acceptance of responsibility is appreciated, whereas Mufi's "it wasn't my call to make" position makes me fear his entire career will basically be based on blaming the governor. In particular, I was glad to see acknowledgement of the obvious failure to recognize the situation as a civil-defense level emergency. The comparisons to evacuations and other disasters were obvious to anyone stuck in their car for six hours, but I guess not to people in the Capitol.

And... that man's death is really a bizarre footnote to this whole thing. He was alive in the afternoon, working on his van, captured on film by news photographers and videographers... but eventually ended up slumped over inside, dead. They apparently thought he was part of the original Army caravan, and only went knocking after it left without him. KGMB hints that they were the ones that sent police over to check.

Comment

Speaking of H-1 overpasses, the other day I noticed that the bottom edge of the Gulick Avenue overpass, in Kalihi, looks pretty damaged too. There are big chunks of concrete missing, and the rebar is exposed in several places. When did that happen, and is it dangerous?

Comment

Wow - I spent a day or so away from HT, and come back to see all this. Reading the thread from start to this point was astounding and eye-opening; "knowing" some of you who were caught up in this mess made it a much more personal story than any on-line newspaper reports I read.

My sympathies to all of you who were affected by this incident, but it was a joy to see how so many of you handled it without going ballistic. Pzarquon's clarity in his location reports, tutusue's ease in finding pleasant aspects despite hardship and unanticipated expenses, scrivener's offers and recommendations...everyone, thank you for sharing your viewpoints so eloquently.

It's impossible to predict how anyone would react under these circumstances. I like to think I would be easy-going and looking for the humor in it all, but if my car broke down, or I were trying to get to a flight or on some kind of deadline, I'm not sure I would be so peaceful and zen. I hope not to be tested in this fashion, and I hope the rest of you never have to do it again.

Now you can go to CafePress and print up all those "I survived the H-1 overpass mess" shirts.

Comment

Okay with the freeway virtually shut down because of this incident, people are screaming that the DOT have some kind of contingency plan. What can they do?

Everytime a suggestion comes up for relieving congestion there is always a reason why not to.

H3 took forever to complete at a cost overrun that was exponentially too high.

The light rail system is in the works but facing tremendous opposition

An underwater tunnel thru Pearl Harbor? Never in a million years.

An overpass over our existing freeways? Every environmental activist will scream bloody murder.

At some point the DOT cannot wave a magic wand and make it better. The answer is in the drivers that make that daily commute that were stuck in that mess to begin with.

It is they who are the mass that makes the congestion. The DOT can only make that mass move so fast. There comes a point when the mass needs to be reduced.

The same can be said about the Ala Wai sewage spill. Those complaining about it were the exact ones that flushed their toilets contributing to it.

You want to reduce traffic, stop driving or at least do something proactive to reduce the congestion. We can complain all we want but if we still choose to drive ourselves to work and add to the congestion then who is to blame?

We need more roads? More infrastructure? Who's gonna pay for it? The taxpayers. That's us by the way.

We want better schools, better roads, better accountability in our government leaders and workers. But when it comes to paying for it, we cry when our paychecks are reduced to crap when the taxes to cover those costs are taken out.

Too many people on too small an island using too much of it's resources. And when that infrastructure fails, chaos occurs and shit happens. That's why I left for the Big Island. I did my part to reduce the congestion on Oahu by removing two cars from it's roads. Mine and my wife's.

Good luck with the mess on Oahu. I doubt much will change as more and more people live and work there.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

2 years ago a overloaded truck broke through the only bridge to city nearby!

No alternate routs without driving a 2 hour detour! Everyone complained and was so mad...took 2 weeks to get it fixed....BUT the second it was fixed No oone paid attention to the problem!

It's only watched when it affects every day life!
                  Who cares when its working??
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Everytime a suggestion comes up for relieving congestion there is always a reason why not to.
                    H3 took forever to complete at a cost overrun that was exponentially too high.
                    The light rail system is in the works but facing tremendous opposition
                    An underwater tunnel thru Pearl Harbor? Never in a million years.
                    An overpass over our existing freeways? Every environmental activist will scream bloody murder.

In Summary, The Politics of NO.

Nobody ever perceives the protester as evil. Not even in a 7 hour commute.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

This traffic mess was a perfect example of how we need alternate forms of transportation on the island. The Bus system works great to a certain extent, but they get stuck on the same roads as all of the other cars. I wonder if any opinions have now changed in regards to the rail tax increase we'll be starting to pay in a few months. I mean, everyone loves their cars and the freedom that goes along with it, but how many people could have had the opportunity to ride thr rail transit that day, watching all of the people down below stuck in their cars for hours while they went about their business with no problems.

I'm assuming bosses cut slack to workers who were late or couldnt make it into work the other day, but what will happen when the rail transit comes, no excuses in my opinion. If the freeways are jammed take alternate forms of transportation. I would also like to think that employers will encourage workers to take the rail transit into work, quite possibly giving some sort of discount for a rail pass and such.

Bottom line....If they build it they will come......and use it!!

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
                        [...] I mean, everyone loves their cars and the freedom that goes along with it, but how many people could have had the opportunity to ride thr rail transit that day, watching all of the people down below stuck in their cars for hours while they went about their business with no problems.[...]
                        I'm one of those who needs my car during the course of a work day so would not use a rail system to get to and from work. However, upon learning of the gridlock, I would've gladly left my car in town and taken the rail system to the closest point to home if that's where I was heading...then called a friend or neighbor to pick me up at that point and take me home. That procedure would be reversed the next morning, arriving at wherever I left my car. I certainly would've done that with my daughter to get her to the airport on time. Well, maybe not. I was all too happy to have her for those extra 12 hours!

That was an expensive traffic jam for me and many others, I'm sure. I will definitely submit a claim. I only wish there was one name and address published somewhere so that all the claims could be funneled to one person for impact purposes. Do I expect payment? Yah! Right! But I will submit it to the only name I know within the chain of command. Since he doesn't live here he'll never see it nor would he give a rip but, h3!!, I'll still do it anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                          I will definitely submit a claim.
                          Just don't let it get circulated around to your insurance company, or you'll end up paying for it anyway! I believe you'll get reimbursed on the day Beelzebub ice-skates to his office, but hey - at least you'll make a stand and send a message to someone. (And I would celebrate having that belief shattered.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                            [...]Now you can go to CafePress and print up all those "I survived the H-1 overpass mess" shirts.
                            I love that idea! However, I'd add: "and it only cost me $_______". The amount is filled in by hand with a Sharpie!

BTW...it was a full moon that night! It still must be 'cuz my rental car broke down on the H-1 on the way to the office this morning! (Don't even think of replying to this, Manoa. Seriously.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                              Just don't let it get circulated around to your insurance company, or you'll end up paying for it anyway![...]
                              Nah...I have no intentions of submitting it to my insurance company for exactly the reason you state! Plus I have a $500. deductible and the bill was $611., so not really worth it. But, it's definitely worth the satisfaction of submission!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

Plus I have a $500. deductible and the bill was $611.
                                Why was the bill so high, tutu? Aside from the towing charge and tip for the tow driver , what repairs did they charge you for? I was thinking that you might've had something like a blown radiator hose, but that bill seems to reflect something more serious such as a blown head gasket or a broken timing belt instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X