Crane crunches Aiea pedestrian overpass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Crane crunches Aiea pedestrian overpass

Governor Lingle used to be Mayor Lingle of Maui .............

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      KITV also interviewed some veteran big rig drivers who said that the destruction caused to that bridge could only have occurred if the driver of the rig was speeding; otherwise, the crane would have been wedged under the overpass.
      That's absurd. They had no way of knowing that. How would they know how structurally sound the overpass was, or how much mass his vehicle had, and exactly what speed a vehicle of that mass would cause collapse as opposed to wedge? Please.

Everyone has an opinion. Too bad some of them are self-proclaimed "experts."

(Yeah, I'm playing fast and loose with physics. Those who know better are invited to correct me! )

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific
        Governor Lingle used to be Mayor Lingle of Maui .............
        Yes, I realize the irony in that...
        Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I saw that KITV "speeding" speculation, too. Like MadAzza, I doubt a random observer could determine speed of impact just from the fractured concrete, and frankly someone's in big trouble regardless of whether he was going 55 or 65.

I'm not a physicist, either, but I'd bet that damage wasn't caused at the outset by the crane/excavator strike (in which case, perhaps, one might guess at a high speed impact). I'd bet the bridge was more 'hooked' in a way by some edge or protuberance on the arm. It didn't just 'whack,' it scraped then yanked, if you know what I'm trying to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe
            Stop by your mechanic and have him show you where all your fluid fill places are and what they're for. Make a little diagram or take a picture of the engine, print it out big and make labeling notes and arrows on it, then stick it in your glove compartment or someplace easy to get to.
            [...]
            Ah, jeez, Peshkwe...I'm beginning to think you're a German car mechanic with a shop on Kawaiahao St.! You sound just like him! Actually, that lesson has been taught...more than once! It's what allowed me to check the radiator and top it off prior to setting out on last Tuesday's fateful journey! I appreciate your advice, tho'.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
              All smiley faces and j/k's aside, please take what I am about to tell you as the gospel truth. Any thoughts of you were totally absent when I made that post.[...]
              It never occurred to me that Manoa was the object of your dipstick comment. Ha...it never occurred to you either. I had another first choice in mind then realized he doesn't post to HT. Ya know who I mean? Does Hui Lupo t-shirt ring a bell?

I almost PMed you to find out who you were referring to then realized that knowing wasn't going to change the quality of my life one way or the other!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                It never occurred to me that Manoa was the object of your dipstick comment. Ha...it never occurred to you either.
                I didn't think he meant Manoa, either, and I had other posters in mind. The beauty of lurkah's post lies in its flexibility - you can put whoever you like in the blank!

Comment

Ah, jeez, Peshkwe...I'm beginning to think you're a German car mechanic with a shop on Kawaiahao St.! You sound just like him! Actually, that lesson has been taught...more than once! It's what allowed me to check the radiator and top it off prior to setting out on last Tuesday's fateful journey! I appreciate your advice, tho'.

Hee...closest I'll ever be to a German mechanic, (or in a shop on Kawaiahao St. for that matter come to think of it), is doin it like the 6 degrees to Kevin Bacon game.

Now ya wanna talk about doin autobody work with duct tape, bailing wire and spray paint...I'm your girl!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    It didn't just 'whack,' it scraped then yanked, if you know what I'm trying to say.
                    Is this more dipstick talk?
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                      I didn't think he meant Manoa, either, and I had other posters in mind. The beauty of lurkah's post lies in its flexibility - you can put whoever you like in the blank!
                      Dippity do ba Dipitity yea
                      My oh my what a wonderful day!

I felt da same way. You could put whomeva's in the blank...even myself!

I love HT!!!

Auntie pUpule
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                        Speaking of H-1 overpasses, the other day I noticed that the bottom edge of the Gulick Avenue overpass, in Kalihi, looks pretty damaged too. There are big chunks of concrete missing, and the rebar is exposed in several places. When did that happen, and is it dangerous?
                        This piece by KHON touches on Glen's question about the Gulick Avenue overpass. Apparently it's infamous among commercial drivers, and new nicks and cracks are added to it all the time.

There are also interesting comments about disparities between stated and actual overpass heights, the fact that signs often descend lower than what the state reports, and that previously damaged signs hang even lower than that. It ain't easy being a big-load trucker on this island!

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                          Wow, Mānoa. I had no idea how divergent our views really were. To knowingly do something illegal because your boss told you to. I don’t think I could ever do that. But that's just my morality, pride and principles talking. I guess you give that up in the military. How far we’ve fallen since the Revolutionary War. Will we hit rock bottom?
                          Mr. TuNnL -

What you would do... is tell your military boss that you would rather be in contempt than listen to him... Yeah I believe you...

But then you would appeal and appeal and appeal and appeal the decision the military bestowed upon you until you ended up in the Brink (Gee...sound familiar in a way? Not in those exact terms... but I know you to be a person to appeal a thing or to on principles! ...and if you remember... it was someone divergent that helped you through it)
                          Last edited by damontucker; September 8, 2006, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe
                            [...]...I'm your girl!

And you know about "semi-velocity air cooled" and "good motion based air flow" and, stuffs li'dat? I seem to have missed your gender identification during the year I've been hangin' out on HT! Dang, Peshkwe, how 'bout I back you in your own repair shop...on South St., not Kawaiahao. That's even closer to my office! Oh wait...I'm broke but I have a sparkling new radiator to show for it...thanks to the feds!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                              I know you to be a person to appeal a thing or to on principles! ...and if you remember... it was someone divergent that helped you through it)
                              That’s thing or TWO and no it was only one thing that I appealed (that this so called divergent individual knows about, anyway).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

And you know about "semi-velocity air cooled" and "good motion based air flow" and, stuffs li'dat? I seem to have missed your gender identification during the year I've been hangin' out on HT! Dang, Peshkwe, how 'bout I back you in your own repair shop...on South St., not Kawaiahao. That's even closer to my office! Oh wait...I'm broke but I have a sparkling new radiator to show for it...thanks to the feds!

What....ya never heard about the two/sixty or four/sixty kinda air conditioning? That was strictly reliant on a 'semi-velocity, motion based airflow' process.

>;-}p~~~~

Nah...I'm a Detroit girl...my mom's dad had a dealership with new and used cars. My dad's dad was in the design section and used to do the modeling for the car parts...before they had the fiberglass molding stuff...he'd make the prototype parts out of wood. My little brother started out pouring steel in a mill and then worked his way from wrenching on the line into engineering, now he's a master engineer and fixing the the big machines that mill the auto parts...still a wrench but a high falutin wrench.

Both Grandfathers would let me help when they were working on cars when I was little. They believed their girls should know something about preventive auto maintanance, what did what and what to look for. They didn't want us totally clueless and break down from not keeping up with the car or get ripped off too badly by being told unnecessary stuff needed to be repaired or in buying a junk used car. But I usually go to my bro and get him to help me with the bigger things on my car 'cause he has all the tools....and a garage... 'cause everything that seems to go wrong works along with murphy's law and happens in the dead of winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X