Crane crunches Aiea pedestrian overpass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Crane crunches Aiea pedestrian overpass

This might go against some of my thinking in this earlier thread...

But if the State can collect damages... the Bus Drivers get their overtime... city/state workers are getting compensated...etc...

WHY SHOULDN'T individuals that faced hardships also not be able to recover something?

I talked to a parent the other day that was trying to get home to pick up their child after they were pau hana... she had no cell phone... and no way to contact the school...

She was not able to meet her child until 9:00 at night.... 4 hours this 4th grader waited for there parents to pick them up....etc...

Emotional stress, Car Problems, Missed Appointments, Etc.

I realize it's taking from one government entity to another... but what about PRIVATE CITIZENS....

Geez...TUTUsue I'm so sorry for redirecting this and I should have really thought this through when this thing initially came up...

I say Tutusue at least should get compensated for some sort of thing for her daughter missing her flight which may have lead to a missed day of employment on both of their behalfs...etc....

and PZ should at least get some gas money and a home cooked meal re-imbursed!

OK everyone.... EAT ME UP now!
    Last edited by damontucker; September 12, 2006, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
      Everytime a suggestion comes up for relieving congestion there is always a reason why not to.
      H3 took forever to complete at a cost overrun that was exponentially too high.
      The light rail system is in the works but facing tremendous opposition
      An underwater tunnel thru Pearl Harbor? Never in a million years.
      An overpass over our existing freeways? Every environmental activist will scream bloody murder.

In Summary, The Politics of NO.
      I challenge every one of your assertions, tim. You are trying to apply your favorite phrase to a subject that just does not apply. With the exception of an absurdly rediculous “underwater tunnel,” (ease up on the science fiction, tim!) all of these things are currently being worked on in addition to a ferry system. Like I said like a broken record, watch the traffic issues edition of Voter Viewpoint on ‘Ōlelo Channel 49, and enlighten yourself. You just might learn something.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
        I challenge every one of your assertions, tim. You are trying to apply your favorite phrase to a subject that just does not apply. With the exception of an absurdly rediculous “underwater tunnel,” (ease up on the science fiction, tim!) all of these things are currently being worked on in addition to a ferry system. Like I said like a broken record, watch the traffic issues edition of Voter Viewpoint on ‘Ōlelo Channel 49, and enlighten yourself. You just might learn something.
        He's on the big island...no can catch that channel!

Comment

Well, no wonder! Now it all makes sense. Someone tell someone to get on it, since it has now been publicly admitted on HT that either Oceanic Cable or ‘Ōlelo itself is discriminating against Big Island viewers.
          Last edited by TuNnL; September 12, 2006, 10:48 PM. Reason: by request - sensitive topic

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
            Well, no wonder! Now it all makes sense. Someone tell someone to get on it, since it has now been publicly admitted on HT that either Oceanic Cable or ‘Ōlelo itself is discriminating against Big Island viewers.
            TuNnL - Can you please explain how Olelo would have anything to do with what you are describing in descrimination against the big island.

I don't think they have any control on the access stations on the outter islands. They are all seperate entities.

If someone has something that they want aired on any prospective island then it should be submitted to that islands PEG access center.

What is wrong with each island having their own channel(s)?

Back to the crane... good thing neighbor islands don't have over passes!

Comment

I think you just answered my question. It’s Oceanic Cable discriminating. Why would you not include ALL Hawai‘i public access channels, period? Don’t HBO and TNT come from two entirely different parts of the country? Why can’t channels that come from different islands all appear on the lineup? Anyway this is all completely off-topic at this point, so never mind. Ryan or Mel, feel free to file this conversation where it belongs. One of the Hawai‘i Media subtopics or The Tube, maybe?

USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                WHY SHOULDN'T individuals that faced hardships also not be able to recover something?

Emotional stress, Car Problems, Missed Appointments, Etc.

I realize it's taking from one government entity to another... but what about PRIVATE CITIZENS....

OK everyone.... EAT ME UP now!
                EXACTO MUNDO!!!!

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

good thing neighbor islands don't have over passes!

Better to have a STOPlight every 500 feet. BRILLIANT !!

Manoa, you know I badger you (though not as bad as others), but it is simply NOT a good thing that the neighbor islands have no overpasses.

Cars emit tremendous amounts of unburned hydrocarbons while idling slowly waiting for a stoplight, or in stop n go traffic.

Lines of cars stretch north beyond our airport during the commute. This has become worse since the STOPlight at the police station road was installed.

If trying to move cars, why install a STOPlight?

Every time a STOPlight is built, 20 years later you will wish you had built an overpass. Ask old timers in Kona about this idea when the Queen Kaahumanu "Blvd" was built 35 years ago. The intersection of Palani and Queen K is a nightmare because it is not grade separated.

Grade Separation in the roadway system is the ONLY environmentally wise way to facilitate the movement of vehicles.

How many environmentalists would tell you they oppose overpasses??

This is a poignant example of the widespread misunderstanding of Urban Planning and Societal Development that is epidemic in Hawaii.

Just another example of cognitive dissonance. Too Funny.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Hey TunnL, that was Craig who posted all the no, no, no.

I just summarized his statements into one phrase.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      [...]Geez...TUTUsue I'm so sorry for redirecting this and I should have really thought this through when this thing initially came up...

I say Tutusue at least should get compensated for some sort of thing for her daughter missing her flight which may have lead to a missed day of employment on both of their behalfs...etc....[...]
                      Fortunately there was no financial impact on my daughter...just a time impact which can be just as serious. The financial impact was all mine!<g> Including tip to the absolutely wonderful AAA tow truck driver, $631....not including gas!

Manoa, I admire that you've rethought this situation, regardless of the result. IMHO, you tend to be the whipping boy on HT because of the lack of thought put in to many of your posts. I think you shoot from the hip, so to speak, without rereading what you wrote prior to submitting it. At the risk of redundancy, that's just my opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                        Hey TunnL, that was Craig who posted all the no, no, no.

I just summarized his statements into one phrase.
                        There definately is the politics of "no" when it comes to many of Hawaii's needs (whether we actually need them or not).

This incident clearly indicates Oahu needs commuter options, but what I don't know. As I indicated before we can bandaid the problems by double and triple stacking our freeways, adding fixed rail or something else, however the problem lies in the fact that we will look at those bandaid fixes as our solution to traffic and will tend not to carpool or do otherwise to alleviate our worsening traffic problems.

It will come down to two things, 1) reduce our island's commuter population (fat chance) and 2) make driving an expensive proposition (as it is in Japan)

If we limit growth eventually people will tend to want to call somewhere else their home and they will leave. The problem is that limited growth also equates to limited economy and in our islands we cannot do that without suffering the consequences.

If we make driving an expensive proposition then the poor people suffer and then the politics of "No" prevail.

How do we fix this if nobody wants to give in? When we had our gas shortages and our governements decided to mandate who fills up on when (even and odd days) is when that will happen. Our government will tell us when we can drive and when we can't...if we can't do this ourselves.

I hope it never gets to the point where the number of cars you may own or drive may be limited by some government mandate but at this point it will.

We can blame the Feds for this foul up on the freeway but really, it was the mass of commuters that made up the congestion. The wreck just stopped that mass from moving along.

If we don't want this to happen again, we must reduce the mass of cars on the roads not make more roads. More roads means bigger mass, bigger mass means bigger mess when it happens again. Reduce the mass then you don't need to upgrade the infrastructure. That cost savings will benefit us in more ways including less dependancy on foreign fuel, more of our tax dollars being spent on the more important things like education and poverty.

But for as long as we drive our cars independently instead of collectively, we are to blame, not our government.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Would building tunnels under freeways instead of overpasses help?

No matter how many options there were for traffic alternatives, the people on the freeway were stuck there. Delaying the repairs to the overpass would be a better idea. Let people go home. Spend the time fixing it when the traffic is not as crowded.

Sorry if this has already been covered earlier. I didn't want to go through the whole thread after reading some it when it started.

Comment

I would be terrified if I were to be stuck in an underground tunnel for literally hours, I'm claustrapobic (sp) as is and I bet many others would suddenly become as such if they were stuck in a tunnel as well.

We dont need more roads, that means more people, more cars.

The latest projections in the paper are SCARY but make sense we have potentially a 30% increase in population/cars during the next 25 years.
                            Well if they keep building these high-rise condos all over the place then I believe them! So the rail transit is going to help by only 10%, better than nothing I say, and I assume the Bus will still operate as usual giving people more choices to commute to and forth their business.

I'm angry that the city is considering cutting out UH-Manoa and Waikiki from the rail transit route considering the students and tourists will be able to use it and PAY for it just like everyone else.

Possibilities could be closing off Kuhio to pedestrian/rail transit commuters only similiar to that of Hotel Street. Has even city planners looked into the possibility of using more streets like Hotel Street for buses only??

Or closing Ala Wai off to only pedestrian/rail use. Better yet have the rail transit line go over the Ala Wai with pedestrian bridges extended into buildings perhaps then you wouldnt have to close off the other streets.

KalihiBoy

Comment

More roads = More people??
                              More Condos = More people??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the number of people increases whenever babies are born. So if you want to get to the root of the problem, perhaps you should ask Unco DaDa why he got 14 grandkids.

It seems in Hawaii, folks like to ignore the root of the problem using make believe bad guys and dreamed up excuses. Confronting issues head-on with blunt reality is not politically correct over here.

Why is that?
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

The projected 25 year population increase has more to do with people MOVING HERE and moving into those newly built CONDOS rather than the norm death/birth rate population decreases/increases.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
                                X