Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Crane crunches Aiea pedestrian overpass

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
    Sucking up resources will happen regardless.

And it's not just retirees. Ask Auntie Lynn about the Micronesians. They've been coming in droves the last few years.
    I know very well about the Micronesians. And the American Samoans, and the Filipinos.

I don't hate, though. Can't help myself. Once I get into pity mode I am rather pathetic. Just can't help but say "oh what the hell---one big damn planet." I sometimes wish I could be more hard-hearted, but I just can't.

The mainland retirees are the least of our worries, IMHO. But this is what so many people here focus on---the evil haole mainlanders.

Old habits are hard to break, I guess.

Comment

removing the post...

however PJ... please think about some things....
      Last edited by damontucker; September 16, 2006, 12:07 AM.

Comment

My mention of tunnels was in regards to a previous poster who mentioned tunnels. I assume they meant tunnels like the one's they have on the east coast where you can drive underwater and such. I would not want to do that it would scare me to death!

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
          But this is what so many people here focus on---the evil haole mainlanders.

Old habits are hard to break, I guess.
          Being a mainland haole yourself, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

I'm not "hating" on any particular race. Simply stating that the micronesians are one of the ethnic groups that have immigrated to the islands in larger numbers in recent years.

What I'd like to see is some of the kids who were born and raised here and are now in their 20's and 30's, college-educated and working on the mainland -- get THEM to come back and be a part of the community. We need them.

And what's to stop the state from building an underwater tunnel along the south shore? Has it ever been studied by the government?
          Last edited by Palolo Joe; September 16, 2006, 02:24 AM.

Comment

I'm not "hating" on any particular race. Simply stating that the micronesians are one of the ethnic groups that have immigrated to the islands in larger numbers in recent years.

What I'd like to see is some of the kids who were born and raised here and are now in their 20's and 30's, college-educated and working on the mainland -- get THEM to come back and be a part of the community. We need them.

And what's to stop the state from building an underwater tunnel along the south shore? Has it ever been studied by the government?
            What happens when the local kid born and raised here goes off to the mainland, gets educated, works, and then finds their "haole" spouse... and then "they" come back to Hawaii and raise their Hapa family? (And the local person now works for the Feds...and the person brought here from the mainland works for the State...both in positions that help the State in the long run)

I guess this would really piss you off huh? A local bringing back a mainlander then raising a whole ohana off this basis?

Now, wheres your beef?

and if Auntie see's this... doh... better be prepared to take some whacks pj!
            I think she would be the first to welcome anyone of any race to the islands!
            Last edited by damontucker; September 16, 2006, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Now that is pure truth. Last night at the football game, I ran into a kid who used to play for Honokaa a few years back. He went to Murray St and played football for 4 years.

He said he learned more about football in his freshman year than he had ever heard of in Hawaii. Now he is back on the island, and coaching Honokaa, and they did real well against the juggernaut Kealakehe last night.

This is true about many things that can be learned on the mainland, and are simply not known over here in the islands.

Then you got the other side of the coin, which says, "...no need your good ideas, we got our ways". Ah, the tragedy of xenophobic ignorance. It is ironic that Kamehameha was open minded enough to adopt western methods of warfare, and conquer every island. Nowadays, people revere Kamehameha, but they are closed minded toward new ideas or better ideas.

If you think Kamehameha was great, and he was, then why not emulate his ability to adopt western ways and use them to your advantage, instead of hiding under a blanket of closed minded xenophobia.

I bet Kamehameha built some of his heiaus over the graves of others, and did not give a hoot.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Yes, we mainland haoles are grossly lacking in perceptive abilities. We be just so damn dumb.

If you want to see kids who were born and raised here come back, PAY THEM. Give them good schools for their kids, affordable housing, a decent standard of living.

And I would bet that there are more than a few mainland "kids" that actually LIKE living on the mainland. They wouldn't come back if given the chance. I know a few new grad local born-and-raised nurses that I have precepted in the last seven years that left here and are loving life on the mainland.

From all indications, they have no intention of returning. They are making more money than they could here, better benefits, great affordable apartments. If and when they start having families, they'll find better public schools for their kids.

But I do agree---it would be wonderful if those who really do want to come back home were able to do so. I think it boils down to the money, honey.

And about that underwater tunnel along the South Shore---what about the coral reefs? IIRC the water depth might be a big issue, too. I would think those two things would kill any underwater project before it could even take a breath.

Comment

And I would bet that there are more than a few mainland "kids" that actually LIKE living on the mainland. They wouldn't come back if given the chance. I know a few new grad local born-and-raised nurses that I have precepted in the last seven years that left here and are loving life on the mainland.
                  Uh, yeah, no sh*t, WindwardOahuRN! This is what we are trying to AVOID. PJ’s point and I think timkona’s too, is we need to make it more attractive for our own keiki to come back to Hawai‘i, instead of having to re-educate and assimilate the “foreign” (using this word to cater to your perceptive abilities) migration of Micronesians and mainland retirees (who as the older set, are less adaptable). Bottom line: stop the brain-drain, and WindwardOahuRN, if it’s all about the money, we need to be more bullish on keeping it here.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                    Uh, yeah, no sh*t, WindwardOahuRN! This is what we are trying to AVOID. PJ’s point and I think timkona’s too, is we need to make it more attractive for our own keiki to come back to Hawai‘i, instead of having to re-educate and assimilate the “foreign” (using this word to cater to your perceptive abilities) migration of Micronesians and mainland retirees (who as the older set, are less adaptable). Bottom line: stop the brain-drain, and WindwardOahuRN, if it’s all about the money, we need to be more bullish on keeping it here.
                    I know what the "point" was. I just think it's a widely-distributed fallacy that all young people who leave Hawaii want to come back here. It goes beyond the almighty dollar, too. Cultural experiences, social opportunities, the ability to travel less expensively---all contribute to keeping young locals on the mainland once they've left.

But yes, it would be wonderful if those who have left and wish to return could do so successfully and without forfeiting the better lifestyle to which they may have become accustomed on the mainland.

(BTW there is no need to "cater to my perceptive abilities." Just say what you want to say. I think I'll be able to follow if you speak slowly and clearly. )

As far as Micronesian immigration goes, talk to the Feds about that one. The Compact of Free Association with the Marshall Islands. Visa-free immigration. The failure of the federal government to reimburse expenses incurred by these immigrants is putting a huge burden on us. There are limitations and regulations regarding the immigration and provisions for sending non-productive immigrants back but they are not enforced.

And of course we have to keep more money here. Tell that to the tourist industry---I'd love to see the stats on just how much money Hilton, Hyatt, et al spend on developing properties in other areas of the world. It's not all staying here, that's for sure.

IMHO, we need city planners and legislators who have the capacity to use what funds we do have in more intelligent ways. Look at the ridiculous VanCam crap---over a million dollars wasted. School books, computers...what could that million dollars have purchased to make life just a little bit better here?

Stupid, frivolous, poorly planned projects that do nothing to better the community. "Rumble strips" on the Pali---hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on that project, just to be removed a short time later due to complaints about noise.

I'm sure the long-time residents here can provide numerous other examples of government-approved stupidity and waste.
                    Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; September 16, 2006, 01:03 PM.

Comment

And I would bet that there are more than a few mainland "kids" that actually LIKE living on the mainland.
                      More of you're "I would bet" rhetoric... you're welcome to your opinion, but I'm also welcome to laugh at it. You accuse me of sticking to stereotypes, yet you do exactly the same thing. I have a lot of friends who like living on the mainland, but given the opportunity to move back under the right circumstances? They'd jump at the chance, but are much too realistic to expect that it's going to actually happen.

And keep trying to bait me into a confrontation Manoa. It's cute.

Comment

More of you're "I would bet" rhetoric... you're welcome to your opinion, but I'm also welcome to laugh at it. You accuse me of sticking to stereotypes, yet you do exactly the same thing. I have a lot of friends who like living on the mainland, but given the opportunity to move back under the right circumstances? They'd jump at the chance, but are much too realistic to expect that it's going to actually happen.

And keep trying to bait me into a confrontation Manoa. It's cute.
                        I'm not sticking to stereotypes. If anything, the stereotypical portrayal of the locals who leave Hawaii is the one where they are desperately trying to return, not where they actually prefer living on the mainland.

As far as "baiting you into a confrontation with Manoa"?? Are you delusional? Do you really think I care enough about some of the silly dynamics on this board to waste my time doing that?

I just thought this was a discussion. Apparently not.

:::shrug:::

Bye.

Comment

As far as "baiting you into a confrontation with Manoa"??
                          Reading comprehension. I said MANOA was baiting me. Not you.

Go ahead. Read it again.

Comment

FYI - PJ

I never called you a fish!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                              FYI - PJ

I never called you a fish!
                              Nope, but once again you try to speak for others by threatening me with "whacks" from Auntie.

Would you rather I use troll instead?

Comment

Like you haven't been for a long time?
                                Thanks for honoring me though

Comment

Working...
                                X