Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How would you rank car makers?

Originally posted by Supercub
    Why not look into the Sonata? It's got great fit and finish, nice styling, and the V6 engine is impressive. Plus, it's 2 or 3 grand cheaper than the Camry and Accord.

Listen to your husband; don't buy a car you don't need. You'll pay for it in higher fuel costs and lower performance. If you buy a sedan instead of a SUV, then you'll really be thinking of the grandchildren.
    I was thinking more of dog and plant carrying ability.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
      I was thinking more of dog and plant carrying ability.
      The Subarus seem to fit that bill nicely, too. I've seen many Outbacks tricked out with those pet dividers in the back and they do have AWD and are cars as opposed to being SUVs. Subaru was another brand I was considering too, but I got spoiled by ease of getting into and out of my old Pathfinder, so I wanted to stay with an SUV (plus, driving on freeways, I didn't feel safe in a little car). Most of the "compact" SUVs (like the Murano, Santa Fe, CRV, etc) are built on car frames and not truck frames, so they do handle more like cars than trucks.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
        From what I gotten from my friends, imports are very reliable nowadays, but domestics are catching up. For a new car shopper like me, how would you rank car makers?

EDIT: for overall (price, reliability, etc)
        I'd say Lexus, Honda, and Toyota are the most reliable. However, Lexus probably has the best marketing...

www.tasteoflexus.com
        Last edited by Jonah K; September 17, 2006, 01:41 PM. Reason: Found a typo...
        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

My husband has owned 2 Toyota trucks and loves them! Me? I had a Honda Odyssey and drove that for 160K miles. I sold it just a couple months ago and got me a used Volvo 850 wagon and am very happy with it!
          Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
            I'd say the Lexus, Honda, and Toyota are the most reliable. However, Lexus probably has the best marketing...
            Lexus is Toyota.

I have a Subie (Legacy Wagon). It certainly has the utility of a CRV or RAV4, and gets better gas mileage with better handling. It also has a 5-star safety rating. I simply cannot think of a reason to buy an SUV unless you need ground clearance for off-roading. Of course, the CRV/RAV4/Santa Fe type SUV don't have the gear-ratio or suspension for real off-roading. I guess you get a higher vantage point in an SUV, but I'd take the safety advantage offered by a lower center of gravity over that any day. The little-ute segment is a really silly type of vehicle. There are many better options out there.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              plus, driving on freeways, I didn't feel safe in a little car
              Even though I have a mid size car, I too feel unsafe on the freeway (or on the regular roads for that matter) when I'm almost surrounded by SUVs. Plus, those chrome rims blind me.

And who makes the most hybrids in a brand? Even though I only fill up the gas once a week, I feel that's too much, and now that I'll be commuting downtown, I fear that I can't drive to work because of the gas.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Even though I have a mid size car, I too feel unsafe on the freeway (or on the regular roads for that matter) when I'm almost surrounded by SUVs. Plus, those chrome rims blind me.

And who makes the most hybrids in a brand? Even though I only fill up the gas once a week, I feel that's too much, and now that I'll be commuting downtown, I fear that I can't drive to work because of the gas.
                Toyota and Honda were the first; Ford has the Escape hybrid (but that's been subjected to numerous safety recalls). Any hybrid you buy (new or used) is going to go for full price because so many people are now looking to buy them. One thing about the hybrids is if the energy-storing battery (a second battery) goes bad on you, it will cost way more than a standard car battery to replace, and you might have overheating issues in Hawai'i, which definitely would shorten the life of the battery. So if you're going with a hybrid, I guess buying an extended warranty might be worth considering if you're planning to hold on to your car longer than 5 years.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Supercub
                  Lexus is Toyota.
                  Technically, Lexus is the luxury division of Toyota; however, there are now enough differences between Lexus and Toyota to view them as separate brands. For starters, the majority of Lexus vehicles are still built in Japan and are RWD. Toyota vehicles, on the other hand, are built in Japan, the United States, Canada, Thailand, Venezuela, and elsewhere and the majority of them (except for the trucks) are FWD. As an owner of a few Lexus vehicles, some Japan-built Toyotas, and a couple of U.S.-built Toyotas, I've definately noticed some quality differences among them.
                  Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                    Technically, Lexus is the luxury division of Toyota; however, there are now enough differences between Lexus and Toyota to view them as separate brands. For starters, the majority of Lexus vehicles are still built in Japan and are RWD. Toyota vehicles, on the other hand, are built in Japan, the United States, Canada, Thailand, Venezuela, and elsewhere and the majority of them (except for the trucks) are FWD. As an owner of a few Lexus vehicles, some Japan-built Toyotas, and a couple of U.S.-built Toyotas, I've definately noticed some quality differences among them.
                    Ok, but on the other hand... about half of the Lexus line-up are built on the same platform as Toyotas, and the Lexus models are marketed and sold as Toyotas in Japan (at least up until last year). Lexus cars are built at Toyota plants (including one in Canada) and designed by Toyota engineers. Click on the corporate information on Lexus's website, and you're sent to Toyota's website. It's the same company. Of course Lexus has superior quality, it's line-up is comprised of luxury vehicles built by Toyota.

But let's not argue...

Comment

How does VW rank among you guys?

Comment

fahrfrumgruven

Comment

ACURA-HONDA, LEXUS-TOYOTA, and INFINITI-NISSAN are generally the most well-regarded imports in terms of reliability and build-quality. Their luxury marquees are reserved for the USA market. For example, you will not find ACURA or LEXUS cars in Japan: those were sold as HONDA or TOYOTA. The ACURA RL continued to be the HONDA LEGEND in Japan and the INTEGRA was also branded as a HONDA. The LEXUS line is called the TOYOTA CROWN.

NISSAN has different model names in Japan, such as the CEDRIC, GLORIA, and SKYLINE. I recently saw an INFINITI on the road with the name SKYLINE and a "350" emblem in place of the "G-35." But, it was also "left-hand drive," not "right-hand drive."

MAZDA is controlled by FORD. The Mazda3 and Mazda6 models are highly-rated (ZOOM ... ZOOM ...ZOOM) for their "fun-to-drive" factor, but are under-rated when compared to Camrys and Accords.

My brother is a certified auto mechanic and swears by Japanese imports. And "swears at" most domestics and European imports. Unreliable (domestics) and expensive to repair (European "snob-mobiles").

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific
                            MAZDA is controlled by FORD. The Mazda3 and Mazda6 models are highly-rated (ZOOM ... ZOOM ...ZOOM) for their "fun-to-drive" factor, but are under-rated when compared to Camrys and Accords.
                            Control, as in Ford robots controlling the operation, or as in Ford overseeing the production? (in both cases, could be bad)

And when's the next big car sales? I know I missed the "clear the lot for next year's cars", so I guess I'll go with the next sale(s) - or atleast shop during that time.

Comment

Control, as in Ford robots controlling the operation, or as in Ford overseeing the production? (in both cases, could be bad)

And when's the next big car sales? I know I missed the "clear the lot for next year's cars", so I guess I'll go with the next sale(s) - or atleast shop during that time.
                              Ford and Mazda did a number of joint-venture projects. During the mid-90s, the Ford Probe (two-door hatchback) and Mazda MX-6 (two-door 626 coupe) were built side-by-side in the USA. They utilized the same power-train (engine and transmission. Then, there are the current Ford Escape-Mazda Tribute SUV line and the Ford Duratec V-6 powerplants in the Mazda6.

Ford initially held a 25% stake in Mazda. It was increased to 33% and Ford was able to control the board of directors via cumulative voting. Mazda did not market their products effectively, having far less resources to commit to advertising than Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. The lack of finances caused them to introduce their top-of-the-line MILLENIA in March 1994 as a MAZDA, not the up-scale AMATI line their executives earlier envisioned to compete with ACURA, LEXUS, and INFINITI.

"Clear the lot" sales occur year-round, as frequently as C.S. Wo furniture specials and the weekly Long's promos.

Comment

I drove the 2006 Hyundai Tucson and the 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe today. Both in the "Limited" trim level.

IMHO, the Tucson was just a touch nicer than the 2006 CR-V. I like the fold-flat passenger seats (including the front passenger seat), the lift-gate rear door, the open-able rear window. Automatic AC standard, sunroof, roof rails. Very nice leather---nicer than the CR-V, I think. Heated front seats. Please don't laugh---after 13-hour shifts, I love putting on the seat heaters on the ride home. I kick up the AC and heat up my aching lumbar region. Nice. And that warranty---it translates into not having to buy the "extended warranty," which I would have done with the Honda or Toyota, at a cost of at least $1300. Rebates, deals available. Less than MSRP, as per the salesguy.

The 2007 CR-V's are sitting in a lot on Nimitz right now, dealers declaring that they are "waiting for shipment and taking orders." Yeah, right. Too much hype, no deals available and, except for styling changes, not much different than the 2006 model. MAJOR disappointment.

The Santa Fe was quite nice, though a bit bigger than I actually had in mind. Very nice interior, great standard features, fabulous warranty. It would be a wonderful dog carrier . It had a bit of a mushy ride, though---more like a minivan. Swish/slush.

Went to Tony Hyundai---no pressure from our really nice salesguy, though I rankled a bit at that ridiculous routine of "greeters" with walkie-talkies who passed along info about your approaching vehicle to waiting salesman.

"Middle-aged haole couple in a late-model Nissan Frontier---look like idiots from the mainland."

Now that was just plain rude.

So---should I swallow my pride and give the Hyundai a fling?

All opinions welcome.
                                Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; September 17, 2006, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X