How would you rank car makers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How would you rank car makers?

I'm starting to lose the topics I made regarding cars, so I'll just stick to this until I buy it.

I made the decision to focus on these cars:

Scion xA and tC
    Mazda 3 5-door
    Nissan Sentra
    Toyota Corolla and Matrix
    Honda Civic (maybe)

Since these are "starter" cars, then I'm confident I can customize these with most of the features I want for under $21,000. If you guys can help me narrow these down based on the overall reliability, then that'd help. (and no, I have no plans on ricing up these cars. At the most, it'll be teched up with a lot of goodies, including clearwire internet )

EDIT: (wow, I can edit this three hours later @ 1641)

How would you rank Subaru and Mitsubishi? I'm looking at the Subaru Impreza and Mitsubishi Lancer.
    Last edited by adrian; September 21, 2006, 04:42 PM.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Please tell me that the new Ford Focus ZX5 improved in quality based upon the Tauruses and others of the past. Also, how about the Dodge Caliber?

(its hard to find those cars used and with the options I want, so I guess I'm forced to go new.)

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
        Please tell me that the new Ford Focus ZX5 improved in quality based upon the Tauruses and others of the past. Also, how about the Dodge Caliber?

(its hard to find those cars used and with the options I want, so I guess I'm forced to go new.)
        I found this site helpful when shopping for a car:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/

I like their reviews and spec pages, especially.

Comment

Doc I have a Focus... not a ZX5, and I love it.

I had an 86 Ford Tempo in 90...and it died less then a year after I got it.

Comment

I'd have to go with IMPORTS, nuthin' wrong with american cars ~ and I agree wit' Manoa on the fact that FORD and CHEVY has been stepping up their game.

In my opinion Japanease made cars are more durable & dependable, they seem to last along time. I had one Mazda 929 suka was old, bought used but it served its purpose ~ then went on to serve even though it had passed on, we donated it and hopefully it helped out delivering Kidneys ~ kidding ~

I've got a Mazda6 I Sport 5door. I chose a 4cy engine cause gas, and its not like I need the extra power, I live Kailua....well now I stay waikiki, but last time I checked we're about equal to or less than sea level;
            i picked a 5door cuz i need trunk space for musical equitment and ofcourse Costco monthly shopping, hooaaa man, talk about some 'junk in the trunk'. I'm loaded in the rear! <LOL>

P.S. , I can do 55 up Pali Hairpin turn & about the same going down ~ no brakes, unless get traffic or get one tourist in front me.

Aloha,

KaYa T
            Last edited by Got2HaVKaYaNoW; September 23, 2006, 07:10 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm starting to lose the topics I made regarding cars, so I'll just stick to this until I buy it.

I made the decision to focus on these cars:

Scion xA and tC
              Mazda 3 5-door
              Nissan Sentra
              Toyota Corolla and Matrix
              Honda Civic (maybe)

Since these are "starter" cars, then I'm confident I can customize these with most of the features I want for under $21,000. If you guys can help me narrow these down based on the overall reliability, then that'd help. (and no, I have no plans on ricing up these cars. At the most, it'll be teched up with a lot of goodies, including clearwire internet )

EDIT: (wow, I can edit this three hours later @ 1641)

How would you rank Subaru and Mitsubishi? I'm looking at the Subaru Impreza and Mitsubishi Lancer.
              IMO, Subaru is better built than Mitsubishi, but the Mitsubishi engine is primo (they have a racing team), but apparently their quality is slipping. They've apparently had numerous recalls on their models over the last 3 years.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

If you're buying new, Focus is about the best value as a first car. There are so many models available (including station wagons) and so many aftermarket products, I don't think you could go wrong. And the price is right. Any import except maybe Kia will cost more than the Focus. And with the company downsizing, my guess is you probably could get a smoking deal on a new Focus. If I was buying a Focus, I would get the 5-door hatchback or the station wagon.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I'll reconsider the Ford and probably visit them next weekend.

But my main choices are now the Honda Fit and the Scion xA - basically Honda vs Toyota.

The engines are almost the same, but the main differences are that the Honda has a long waiting list, and that the Scion was pulling in Honda's customers.

Comment

I'll reconsider the Ford and probably visit them next weekend.

But my main choices are now the Honda Fit and the Scion xA - basically Honda vs Toyota.

The engines are almost the same, but the main differences are that the Honda has a long waiting list, and that the Scion was pulling in Honda's customers.
                    I got a wee bit pissed at Honda.

I've been looking for a small SUV for quite a while now. Not desperate, just interested. The 2007 CR-V piqued my interest. I was hoping for a big improvement over the earlier versions. Much hype, lotsa hoopla.

I was disappointed. Style changes, that's about it. The back hatch now opens like a mini-van instead of a car door. They changed the back window to fixed glass, a detriment to me. Otherwise, nothing.

The only 2007's I got to see were in a lot. Never offered an opportunity to drive one or see one with the doors open.

I think Honda was hoping to build excitement by holding back on the 2007's but instead, they blew it.

I got annoyed and bought a Hyundai Tucson V6 LTD yesterday. More bang for the buck, excellent reviews, and a bumper-to-bumper warranty that will probably be outlived by my ownership of the car. Leather, automatic air, and a really pretty girly color (Arctic Frost).

Please don't laugh. In a neighborhood full of Lexii and BMW's, I am an anomaly. Tee hee...who gives a crap? Wish me luck.

Honda has gotten too damn big for its britches, IMHO.

Comment

One thing I've noticed about the Honda CRVs is as time goes on, they're getting larger and larger! Their first models were "cute" subcompact SUVs. Now they're almost as large as my Murano "compact" SUV.

Honda also announced today that they are rolling out a line of "superclean" diesel power plants. They won't be ready yet for the American roads because they still need to be tweaked to meet the new EPA standards that go into effect next year, but they should be rolling out within the next 2-3 years. The advantage that these diesels will have is their mileage will be greater than for conventional gas powered cars, and the technology has made it less dirty than diesel engines in the past (remember the diesel Rabbits and Mercedes?)

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        One thing I've noticed about the Honda CRVs is as time goes on, they're getting larger and larger! Their first models were "cute" subcompact SUVs. Now they're almost as large as my Murano "compact" SUV.

Honda also announced today that they are rolling out a line of "superclean" diesel power plants. They won't be ready yet for the American roads because they still need to be tweaked to meet the new EPA standards that go into effect next year, but they should be rolling out within the next 2-3 years. The advantage that these diesels will have is their mileage will be greater than for conventional gas powered cars, and the technology has made it less dirty than diesel engines in the past (remember the diesel Rabbits and Mercedes?)

Miulang
                        I had friends who had a diesel powered Rabbit in NY. God, that thing was awful in cold weather. They finally got one of those engine heater things to warm it up before starting.

They had a very difficult time when they tried to sell it. They may have even ended up giving it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                          Even the Civic is growing. The Fit was designed to reignite that tall hatchback that the civic first was introduced as. The only problem is that they have a limited production, so hopefully its sales will slow soon with competition.

Comment

Working...
                          X