Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips on going on my first car shopping trip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any tips on going on my first car shopping trip?

Originally posted by doc1456
    I'll bring my mobile equipment to do a carfax report onsite.
    You might try Honda Windward. I bought one of their certified vehicles when I got here in 2000 and they were great. Jeez, I just saw your post. How much were you planning to spend?

I bought a new car today. Traded in my majorly supremo 1999 Honda Accord Coupe. Shiny black, black leather interior, all major options. Nothing wrong with it---it just doesn't fit my needs anymore.

Sorry I didn't see your post first. Would've offered you first pickings...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
      And NEVER EVER EVER consider buying a car without test-driving it. NEVER. (Did I already say, "never"?)
      No you never said "never"...you said, "NEVER". Upper case always gets the point across.

One thing I did learn many years ago is that some dealerships have a policy of not letting a customer out of the door without some kind of committment. Failure could mean points or being fired. I heard Honolulu Ford was like that.

But get as close to signing as you can get then make the gesture to walk out for a bite to eat and to ponder that quote from the "manager behind the frosted glass cubicle" And while the salesman is away talking to his buddies in the breakroom, sound as if you really want this car but that last quote just seemed a bit too high.

When I went to New City Nissan with my boy to buy the 2006 Sentra S with the sports package, everytime the guy left to talk to the manager, we would talk. When he came back he'd say something that had some connection to what we were discussing while he was gone...as if there was a hidden microphone under the desk or something.

So the next time the salesman visited the manager for a slight price break, we talked some more but this time we baited the conversation. Sure enough the salesman came back with startling good news...like he was reading our minds...or listening to the monitor.

Ultimately we got this fully loaded Sentra S that was MSRP'd at $17,500 for $12,500 w/$500 down and no trade in. Basically financed $12,000

But before signing I wanted to take my boy and his girlfriend to Wahoo's for dinner and come back and sign. I already wrote the check for a non-refundable $500 to "hold" the quote. When I told the salesman that he told me to wait cuz he needed to talk to his manager.

Next thing the General Manager comes out and tells me, "Mr. Watanabe...what can I do to make you sign right now?" I told him that there was nothing and that I already gave him $500 to hold the price while we filled our empty tummies (4-hours of negotiating). I told him we were going to buy the car but we just wanted to eat! If he had offered to buy and deliver three plate lunches to the showroom I would have said okay, but he made no such offer.

Out of the blue he blurts out, "I'll throw in free window tint if you sign right now!"

Wow that came out of left field...I wasn't expecting that pitch but I responded, "throw in that $25 neoprene cd case with the words Nissan Gear along with the tint for free and our quote and I'll sign right now".

Now it was his turn to act surprized but he pondered that one for a couple of seconds then nodded and agreed. I made him write it on the contract and made him sign and date it and we shook hands.

My boy was just totally amazed! I looked at him and told him, "Aaron now that's how you buy a car".
      Last edited by craigwatanabe; September 23, 2006, 11:27 PM.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Adrian, offer to fly Craig in from the Big Island on Go! for $40 round trip and pay him for his time with a good lunch and dinner. His haggling expertise to save you thousand's of dollars will be more than worth it.

I wonder if New City Nissan (and any other dealerships) actually have their offices rigged with microphones? That's totally devious.

You could easily check by saying stuff while the salesman walks away to see the manager like, "Our salesman's got some serious bad breath and stinks really bad, like he never showered for 5 days. Gross". Then see if there's any reaction when he returns. If he's chewing gum and suddenly smelling like cologne, it's rigged.
        Last edited by Pomai; September 24, 2006, 11:53 AM.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Well, I went on part 1 of my car shoppign trip. First, I went to Cutter Mazda, and the salesman greeted me as I stepped out of my car. He was very kind we talked story as we went to see my first car. I mentioned that I was looking at the Mazda 3 hatchback, but he said they didn't have any on stock (something about the Mazda cargoship getting lost at sea) but they did have a Mazda 5 (a small van). I accepted into looking at it, and he said that its their only one - which they got on Friday. I got the exterior tour and back at the showroom, he offered me first shot at that vehicle (but he didn't tell the price). I said I'll come back tomorrow after I looked at other models, and as I entered my car, another salesman stopped me and proceeded to help me. I told him that I already saw a car and he asked what other cars I was looking at (which I told him). He then proceeded to tell about Mazda's warranty length compared to the others, but I was already pinned on the Mazda3 if any. Over at Waipahu Auto, it was deserted - no salesman was there, but I did get to see the Toyota Matrix. Since I had no salesman breathing down my neck, I got to read the info, and it looks like they have the model I'm looking for.

Up next: Tony Nissan/Honda and maybe even Servco Scion.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
            I wonder if New City Nissan (and any other dealerships) actually have their offices rigged with microphones? That's totally devious.
            In the "confessions of a salesman" link I posted somewhere in my car threads, they maybe listened through the phone intercom.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
            X