X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii's Interisland Air War - Chapter 2

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    Hint: It'll take at least 1 1/2 hours to get from OGG to Lahaina, barring an accident, because the hours of about 6:00-9 a.m. are peak commute times for people living up country and in Central Maui who have jobs on the west side.

Coming back to Central Maui from Lahaina, expect about the same amount of commute time if travelling between 3 and 6:30 p.m.

Miulang
    That's outrageous. With this information now known to me, I'm going to ask that the people who were going to meet me Kahului and take me back to Lahaina just stay in Kahului upon arrival...we can hui there just as well..no need to deal with that kind of traffic. I sincerely hope the traffic going from Lahaina to Kahului is better in that direction in the morning. An hour and a half minimum (with no accident) going to Lahaina from Kahului that time of day? Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
      That's outrageous. With this information now known to me, I'm going to ask that the people who were going to meet me Kahului and take me back to Lahaina just stay in Kahului upon arrival...we can hui there just as well..no need to deal with that kind of traffic. I sincerely hope the traffic going from Lahaina to Kahului is better in that direction in the morning. An hour and a half minimum (with no accident) going to Lahaina from Kahului that time of day? Yikes!
      Yeah, it really sucks, which is why whenever I'm on Maui I will rarely take that trip to Lahaina from Central Maui. Depending on the time of day you're arriving, you could go eat breakfast at Marco's (very near the airport) and catch up on things. Or you could head over to Paia and catch the wave action at Hookipa (the surfers are out in the morning). There's plenty to do in Kihei, too (and there are TWO ways to get to and from there from Central Maui! ).

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Aloha Airlines has announced that it will now allow 3 checked bags for free on it's flights during the Holiday Season!

This may influence a few passengers who might otherwise fly on Go or Hawaiian.

http://www.alohaairlines.com/3bagsfree.php

My question...what happens if the plane is full of passengers and each passenger has 3 checked items.... will there be room on the airplane? Or is there going to be the possibility that your luggage gets bumped to the next flight?

If there is room on the airplanes for 3 checked bags and a full plane... couldn't they make this a permanent policy?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
          Aloha Airlines has announced that it will now allow 3 checked bags for free on it's flights during the Holiday Season!

My question...what happens if the plane is full of passengers and each passenger has 3 checked items.... will there be room on the airplane? Or is there going to be the possibility that your luggage gets bumped to the next flight?

If there is room on the airplanes for 3 checked bags and a full plane... couldn't they make this a permanent policy?
          You'd never have to worry about any of this, Manoa, if you checked in 2 hours ahead of your flight departure ...the ones who might get caught are the ones who show up at the ticket counter at the last minute. But I seriously doubt you'd ever have that condition anyway...most people have learned to travel light, so I don't think the cargo holds would get overfilled. Now the overhead bins in the cabins are another thing entirely, with all that omiyage that people carry with them when they visit ohana on other islands!

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

You'd never have to worry about any of this, Manoa, if you checked in 2 hours ahead of your flight departure ...the ones who might get caught are the ones who show up at the ticket counter at the last minute. But I seriously doubt you'd ever have that condition anyway...most people have learned to travel light, so I don't think the cargo holds would get overfilled. Now the overhead bins in the cabins are another thing entirely, with all that omiyage that people carry with them when they visit ohana on other islands!

Miulang
            I'm always worrying about this Miulang... the fact that a Child car seat is considered a piece of luggage... this takes away from a suitcase that I could use.

And w/ the amount of flying and transporting of goods I do between islands between family members... I'm constantly being asked to bring up a box of something or another for auntie or uncle on another island...etc...

This is one of the reasons why I can't wait for the superferry... I will be able to transport a lot of stuff in my own car.... Frozen foods from the parents freezers....etc. Flowers from the Big Island....etc....

Comment

I think weight-wise, they've always left plenty of room, even if the plane is full of pax and each one has 2 pieces of luggage checked in. So adding a third, weight-wise, probably isn't a problem. Volume-wise, I think that will be a hit or miss. Say everyone checks in a surfboard, I'm pretty sure some luggage will be bumped to another flight at that point. As to why not make it standard, that's added cost in terms of added weight to the plane (extra fuel consumption) and additional ground crew staff and time to load and unload.

Actually AQ and HA could have been creative, before Mesa/go!, they could have offered cheaper tix by limiting allowed checked-in luggage. I'm sure there are light travellers that would have loved cheaper tix and not be bothered by no allowed checked-in baggage restrictions.

Comment

I'm always worrying about this Miulang... the fact that a Child car seat is considered a piece of luggage... this takes away from a suitcase that I could use.
                So don't check it in as baggage! I've seen parents take their car seats/strollers up to the gate and have it checked on board at that time. No way is the airline gonna know how many other bags you checked in! It gets put in the same cargo hold as the rest of your bags, but doesn't get counted as a piece of check in baggage. And if you're paying for a ticket for kiddo, he's entitled to check in 2 pieces of baggage anyway.

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; November 28, 2006, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Lugging around a car seat through an airport for an hour or two with a two year old that wants to be carried is not fun! Especially when it's just you and your two year old travelling! Try it sometime... a child who doesn't want to go down and walk...... a few carry on bags... and then a car seat that is very awkward and has no real handles....

and it is still considered one of your two allowed carry on bags...therefore decreasing the amount of carry on bags you are allotted.... plus the carry on luggage normally has a snacks for the baby and diapers etc....

Comment

Lugging around a car seat through an airport for an hour or two with a two year old that wants to be carried is not fun! Especially when it's just you and your two year old travelling! Try it sometime... a child who doesn't want to go down and walk...... a few carry on bags... and then a car seat that is very awkward and has no real handles....

and it is still considered one of your two allowed carry on bags...therefore decreasing the amount of carry on bags you are allotted.... plus the carry on luggage normally has a snacks for the baby and diapers etc....
                    Don't you have to buy a ticket for a 2-yr old anyway???

P.S. I never said travelling with toddlers was easy on the parents OR the passengers who have to sit nearby!

Miulang

Comment

Don't you have to buy a ticket for a 2-yr old anyway???

P.S. I never said travelling with toddlers was easy on the parents OR the passengers who have to sit nearby!

Miulang
                      Yes we have to buy a ticket... however in my case we use our frequent flyer miles on him...

However, he is not capable of carrying his own luggage...which makes me responsible for him and any extra luggage! And it is much easier when I have my wife with me... however, sometimes it's just me and the baby!

Comment

Yes we have to buy a ticket... however in my case we use our frequent flyer miles on him...

However, he is not capable of carrying his own luggage...which makes me responsible for him and any extra luggage! And it is much easier when I have my wife with me... however, sometimes it's just me and the baby!
                        But as a ticketed passenger, he gets to check in 2 bags, doesn't he? Even if he personally can't carry the bags himself?

Comment

yes he does... which we normally use for food items and omiyage (and dirty laundry sometimes! )

Comment

A 737 can handle a full load of pax and all their bags no problem. If it gets out of hand on one flight, Aloha also operates the largest Air Cargo operation in the State so all the bags will fly.

Heavier airplanes burn more fuel... That's just physics in simplest of all explanations... More fuel burned costs more $$$, normally there is a charge for this.

If each extra bag is given an assumed weight of 25lbs and 127 people bring an extra bag thats an extra 3200 lbs +/- and the aircraft will need more fuel which also weighs more so add that to your math. Carrying extra bags is not free, but Aloha will do it for Christmas and thats pretty good marketing in these very competitive days.

good for Aloha
                            GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

a car seat is not considered a carry on, neither is a diaper bag. And breastfeeding is also allowed!
                              GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                                I think weight-wise, they've always left plenty of room, even if the plane is full of pax and each one has 2 pieces of luggage checked in. So adding a third, weight-wise, probably isn't a problem.
                                There is a term called MGTOW or Max gross take-off Weight. I use it all the time. It is very easy to hit MGTOW on a full flight, add some bad weather where we are required to add holding fuel or divert fuel and we start bumping bags and pax because we would exceed MGTOW.
                                GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Working...
                                X