Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ford to discontinue Taurus line

Originally posted by mel View Post
    Just heard on Fox radio news this morning that Ford is reviving the Taurus name. They are going to rename the Ford 500 sedan, Taurus. The 500 has had slow sales since its introduction in 2004.

more info
    I was about to post that.

As a (former) taurus owner, I felt pain when they discontinued the taurus line. I thought it'd be the end, but Ford is now attempting to rename the five-hundred to the same name that it replaced!

The only thing that could save them is if they bring back the SHO model.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
      I was about to post that.

As a (former) taurus owner, I felt pain when they discontinued the taurus line. I thought it'd be the end, but Ford is now attempting to rename the five-hundred to the same name that it replaced!

The only thing that could save them is if they bring back the SHO model.
      I agree with you there. My first ride in a Taurus was in an '89 SHO model w/a 5-speed manual that looked exactly like: http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/images/CD_SHO.jpg. The irony is that the current Accord (#2 in sales) lineup includes a model w/very similar specs to that '89 SHO.
      Ford seems to think excitement should be limited to the Mustang (adios, Ford GT). I know it'll take more than neo-retro design to pull the company out of their current death spiral.
      "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
        After 21 years, the last Taurus is expected to roll off the Ford production line sometime next week. I didn't realize they were still manufacturing them, but it's a sad end to a car that sold 7 million units over its lifetime.
        If my dad's car had lasted one more year (a '66 Falcon), we would have bought a Taurus. Instead, we bought its predecessor: Tempo.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          If my dad's car had lasted one more year (a '66 Falcon), we would have bought a Taurus. Instead, we bought its predecessor: Tempo.
          Actually, the Taurus' predecessor was the Ford LTD. Tempo replaced the Fairmont and later was replaced itself by the Contour, which then was replaced by the Focus.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            Actually, the Taurus' predecessor was the Ford LTD. Tempo replaced the Fairmont and later was replaced itself by the Contour, which then was replaced by the Focus.
            I say it is predecessor because they share similar body, though the Taurus is more updated.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
            X