Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oil Change Question

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    And maybe add: "...because the plug had been damaged during previous oil changes"!
    They probably over torqued it causing the damage. I'll just have to make sure
    the other place I go to for just oil changes doesn't do that in the future.
    Last edited by Konaguy; October 22, 2006, 05:29 PM.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
      Ninety-six dollars for an OIL CHANGE??? Did you pay extra for the unacceptably long wait and the service manager's obnoxious attitude?

Actually they replaced the air filter, the oil plug, did an oil change and replaced the oil filter = 69.00. Then they charged 20.00 for labor. With taxes and such it got up to 96.10.
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        Nothing on the list looks like only the dealer can do.
        True, but I bought the extended warranty on this truck (5 years or 75,000 miles).
        If I take it to somewhere else and they find something wrong (that the warranty
        or extended warranty covers) it will come out my pocket.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
          True, but I bought the extended warranty on this truck (5 years or 75,000 miles).
          If I take it to somewhere else and they find something wrong (that the warranty
          or extended warranty covers) it will come out my pocket.
          Ahh..then that's understandable. Hopefully, you'll never have to use that extended warranty. But then on the other hand, you kinda want to, to get your money's worth.

In that case, shouldn't the plug be covered under warranty? Or did they count that as wear and tear items?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            Ahh..then that's understandable. Hopefully, you'll never have to use that extended warranty. But then on the other hand, you kinda want to, to get your money's worth.

In that case, shouldn't the plug be covered under warranty? Or did they count that as wear and tear items?
            Well my next major service is due at 30K miles. Based upon the costs that were incurred at 15K and fact it will cover a lot more things like brake pads, and tranny flush.I will have to make choice to take it to Orchid Isle or a regular auto mechanic. Either way it will cost a lot more than the 96.10 I paid at 15K. Especially if I have to have my brake pads replaced and tranny flushed.

You would think oil plug would've been a warranty covered item. But considering this particular service adviser was rude to me in the past, I really didn't want to make a huge stink about it. Actually I really wanted to get out of there, as the guy made me feel uncomfortable.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
              Now that I've said that, I should add that I don't change my Miata's oil, but that's *only* because the car is so low to the ground I can't get under it!
              They're ripping you off, but only as long as you let them. Support independent mechanics and small business!
              Hey Maddie, I buy you a couple ramps and you change my oil every 10,000?

It's easy to do... I can attest to that... but not something fun to do... I prefer to just have someone else do it for the cost... However, I know Sears is only 30.00 maximum... I just had it done and I can't remember the exact total but it was under $30.00.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                I just had it done and I can't remember the exact total but it was under $30.00.
                Thats a good deal, the place I normally get my oil change charges me 45.xx.
                Their regular rate is around 36 dollars. But they charge me additional 9 dollars
                for the oil filter. Compared that with Orchid Isle which charged me 20.00
                for the oil change + 8.00 for the filter. The other place is flat rate Orchid Isle
                labor charge would apply.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

It's easy to do... I can attest to that... but not something fun to do... I prefer to just have someone else do it for the cost... However, I know Sears is only 30.00 maximum... I just had it done and I can't remember the exact total but it was under $30.00.
                  I agree, if you're not a gearhead, you'd probably rather pay someone else to do it. But if you truly want to save yourself a few bucks and you have the garage space to do it, buying OEM oil filters in bulk (half a dozen) and bulk oil (Costco), each oil change can just cost you around $8.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                    Well my next major service is due at 30K miles. Based upon the costs that were incurred at 15K and fact it will cover a lot more things like brake pads, and tranny flush.I will have to make choice to take it to Orchid Isle or a regular auto mechanic. Either way it will cost a lot more than the 96.10 I paid at 15K. Especially if I have to have my brake pads replaced and tranny flushed.

You would think oil plug would've been a warranty covered item. But considering this particular service adviser was rude to me in the past, I really didn't want to make a huge stink about it. Actually I really wanted to get out of there, as the guy made me feel uncomfortable.

Aaron regarding the plug it was probably not warped but stripped as indicated in another post. It's real easy to strip a drain plug especially if it's still leaking after tightening it to hell because the service agent didn't use a new crush washer (You should always replace that copper crush washer on the plug. With a new crush washer you don't need to tighten too hard to ensure a good seal. But use the old one (as most do) and there's a good chance the plug will leak. Add to that some mechanic or oil change technician unwilling to drain the whole sump, remove the plug and retrofit with a new crush washer so he uses a socket wrench with a cheater bar for more torque or the trusty pneumatic impact wrench to tighten it and suddenly the oil plug is stripped beyond use. The bad thing about it is that if that last thread is completely stripped off, that plug could spin with no way of being removed.

As for the fee there is also an oil disposal fee so you'll have to pay for that.

Bottom line is that you got ripped off for that little work/material for that price. The service manager for the Kona Orchard Isle Ford is the same manager for the Hilo branch. I know my Mom got major ripped off from those guys here in Hilo. She had a leak in her AC compressor so I told her to tell the mechanics there to replace the compressor, and receiver dryer, retro-fit for R-134a then recharge the system.

Instead they only recharged with R-12 and didn't attempt to change the leaking compressor. They charged her $300 for the recharge and the whole thing leaked out in three days.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Question: Where can you discard the old oil?

I can change my oil easily enough (oh alright I can just ask my husband to do it). But where on Oahu can you dump the oil legally?

Comment

Drain em in an oil change box purchased at any auto parts store, secure it real good and toss it in the trash. On Oahu H-Power burns it up. Now on the Big Island that's a no no.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Do your wal-marts have an auto center? If a walmart has one (mainland) they usually have an oil change service for I believe $20 which includes filter, oil, vaccum interior, clean outside glass, top off washer fluid, check other fluids/airfilter/wipers/lights/tire pressure.

One of the girls here at work recently took her vehicle to wal-mart to have it's oil changed however they couldn't do it due to the fact that the last place that did her oil change rounded off the head on the oil plug. That could've been a possibility too.

$69 seems steep but I could see it getting that pricey depending on the air filter. Some air filters for certain makes/models are pretty expensive. In theory, you could spend a little more money up front and purchase a cleanable air filter. It may save some money in the long run rather than replacing it all the time.

2500 mi between changes? Is there a specific reason for that? That seems overkill but thenagain weather condidions there are different from here.

Oil is touchy... The vehicle manufacturer will tell you to change at 5k and the oil manufacturer will tell you to change at 3k. Are the vehicle manuf's trying to get you to wear down your engine early or are the oil manuf's trying to get you to buy more oil? Conspiracy theorists can reply to that rhetorical question lol.

Me... I use Mobil 1 full synth and change every 5k.
                          I do it myself and it is a messy job but i'm a cheap sob hehe.

oh and most auto places usually have oil disposal service. typically free of charge.
                          -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                            Question: Where can you discard the old oil?

I can change my oil easily enough (oh alright I can just ask my husband to do it). But where on Oahu can you dump the oil legally?

Try this link and input your zip code, it should list local shops that will take your used oil.

http://hawaii.earth911.org/master.as...=1&serviceid=1

Comment

Actually I think Orchid Isle saved me some grief, Craig. I had been taking
                              my truck in every 3,000 miles to a independent oil changing outfit here in
                              Kona. I suspect that during the times I went there, they over torqued
                              the oil plug. Thus causing the damage that Orchid Isle saw. As I highly
                              doubt they could've screwed it up. Since I had taken it to the other
                              place 4 times before.

Your explanation was generally what the service adviser told me also.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                                [...]2500 mi between changes? Is there a specific reason for that? That seems overkill but thenagain weather condidions there are different from here.[...]
                                I'm severely car challenged but when several people, all strangers to each other and in different walks of life, give me the same unsolicited advice...I listen! All mentioned that changing the oil every 2500 miles will greatly prolong the life of a car. I've had German cars since 1977, one I kept for 16 years (purchased when it was 5 years old), one for 8 years (purchased when it was 10 years old) and I recently purchased the 3rd which is a 1995. With the exception of a radiator 'mishap' <g> on 'Traffic Tuesday' last month, I've had very good luck with cars which I tend to attribute to the 2500 mile regimen. And a terrific mechanic...which I've mention at least 100 times in other threads!

Comment

Working...
                                X