Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oil Change Question

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    Well if you think that is bad. The independent oil changing place I go to charges
    $33.95 for the oil change. But they charge me an additional 9.00 for the oil filter
    claiming my truck requires an non-standard oil filter. According to them the
    Mazda B2300 Truck has the same issue. But on the flip side this is the same place that apparently over torqued my oil plug

Also it wasn't my choice to have them replace the air filter. They did it as a part of the multi point inspection they did.
    Wow!!! Well I will add Oil change on the Big Island to things not to do in my lifetime lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
      b) I would think (and may be WAY off base on my thought logic here) that provided you're doing regular 3k changes that almost any popular brand of oil would be good. Mobil, Penzoil, Castrol, Quakerstate, Valvolie etc...

Originally, I was jaded with using quakerstate cause at one point in time they had a bad reputation of the oil breaking down easy. Since then, i've come to find out that some NASCAR teams run Qstate synthetic in their racecars. I figure if it's good for them, why not us right?

However, i still use Mobil 1 in my mustang hehe.

Wow, I never thought of it that way. Don't some synthetics have cleaning agents in them too? I use Penzoil synth blend in my 4X4 but i may be reconsidering it now. Time to do some research... Mahalo for sure!

On the b) part, I agree that most major brands will do fine as long as an oil change is done regularly and consistently. I try to see what each respective car manufacturer uses and stick with that. For example, BMW uses Mobil 1 and Honda uses Castrol so I try to use those brands for those makes.

Yes, some synthetics have cleaning additives too. I'm not dissing synthetics, just saying pick one or the other, traditional motor oil (which some brands also add cleaning agents) or full synthetic. The blends aren't bad but given the trick percentages of the blend (one would think it be 50% motor oil / 50% synthetic), I just think you're not getting the most value for the money spent. Hope this info helps.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        Synthetic oil in general is a non-petroleum product. It is oil artifically made from other compounds such as coal.

Whatever you do, don't use synthetic blend as it only contains up to 30% synthetic and the rest is regular motor oil. The price you pay for it is cheaper than full synthetic but in my opinion, is a rip off because note "up to 30%". There is no law or regulatory body that dictates how much synthetic needs to be in the blend. Technically you can have just 1% synthetic, 99% motor oil, and pay the premium.
        If synthetic oil is made from coal, isn't that the same substance that oil is derived from? Synthetic means man made, coal isn't.

But for those who change their oil almost every other month (2500 miles) if the oil is still somewhat clear, then using synthetics is a pure waste of money.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
          he would get frustrated if I asked too many questions.
          Yeah, heaven forbid he should answer a customer's questions. Just pay your money and shut up. You sure Orchid Isle isn't a front for the I.R.S.?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            [...]But for those who change their oil almost every other month (2500 miles) if the oil is still somewhat clear, then using synthetics is a pure waste of money.
            I understand it's a waste of money if the 2500 mile mark hits every other month. But, for me, it hits almost every 6 months. What's the difference in price between a quart of regular motor oil and a quart of synthetic?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              If synthetic oil is made from coal, isn't that the same substance that oil is derived from? Synthetic means man made, coal isn't.
              Coal is one substance synthetic oil can be made from. Synthetic definitely means man made but man still has to make the oil from some natural compound. Another method is to use the Fischer-Tropsch process to convert carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and methane into liquid hydrocarbons.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                I understand it's a waste of money if the 2500 mile mark hits every other month. But, for me, it hits almost every 6 months. What's the difference in price between a quart of regular motor oil and a quart of synthetic?
                If buying by the case, you're roughly looking at maybe $1 for a quart of quality regular motor oil vs. a little under $5 for a quart of synthetic.

Comment

Originally posted by rhscare View Post
                  Wow!!! Well I will add Oil change on the Big Island to things not to do in my lifetime lol.
                  Price of paradise I chalk it up to
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Yeah, heaven forbid he should answer a customer's questions. Just pay your money and shut up. You sure Orchid Isle isn't a front for the I.R.S.?
                    lol too funny
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

If buying by the case, you're roughly looking at maybe $1 for a quart of quality regular motor oil vs. a little under $5 for a quart of synthetic.
                      My mechanic prefers the synthetic in my car. So, let's see...my car takes 8 quarts (yep...8) at approx. $4./qt *difference* times twice a year which appears to be $64. more for the synthetic over a 12 month period. Personally, I don't mind the extra $64/yr if it helps to prolong the life of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        My mechanic prefers the synthetic in my car.
                        Yeah, it's better. But if you change regularly it's probably not worth it. On the other hand some cars seem to be harder on the oil. On those it would probably be worth running synthetic.

Comment

Try this link and input your zip code, it should list local shops that will take your used oil.

http://hawaii.earth911.org/master.as...=1&serviceid=1
                          Thanks. It just shows two when I put in a 96734 zip code. Neither is terribly close to me.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                            Thanks. It just shows two when I put in a 96734 zip code. Neither is terribly close to me.
                            It appears those are the only 2 on the island as they come up when i input my Makaha zip code!

Comment

People who know about cars are so cool
                              I'm jealous.

Comment

Let me put my $.02 in on this.

Did your advisor have white hair or black hair?

If he had black hair, that is Wesley, i used to work with him as an advisor over at Island Chevy.
                                Sometimes he has good days, sometimes he is an ass.

But just as a rule of thumb, if they replaced your air filter with out asking, that's a big no no.
                                Go back, complain till they give you your money back.
                                No dealership anywhere ever should do ANY work on your vehicle that you do not TELL THEM TO DO.
                                If they do, bitch your way up the food chain (service advisor, service manager, general manager) till the issue is resolved.

And Ford could very well have screwed up your oil plug.
                                Most dealerships have "Oil Change Techs" that all they do is oil changes and very basic stuff, normaly there is a reason they are only doing oil changes.

Again, regardless of who screwed it up, they should not have replaced it without your OK.
                                Got Absinthe?

Comment

Working...
                                X