Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HPD cars flashing lights to go through red lights

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    ...he was arrested for investigation of first- and second-degree criminal property damage, drunken driving, resisting arrest, identity theft and three counts of second-degree assault against a law enforcement officer.

The man was later released pending investigation."

Heloooooooo? What is wrong with dis? They should have kept him in JAIL! Pending investigation? So he can continue to go on rampage and endanger innocent victims?
    My understanding is that under state law, HPD has 48 hours to charge a suspect if they decide to hold him/her in the cellblock. It’s possible they needed more time to complete their investigation, so they let him go to free themselves of the time limitation. Assuming he is has a home and a job, it shouldn’t be that difficult to re-arrest him later.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
      My understanding is that under state law, HPD has 48 hours to charge a suspect if they decide to hold him/her in the cellblock. It’s possible they needed more time to complete their investigation, so they let him go to free themselves of the time limitation. Assuming he is has a home and a job, it shouldn’t be that difficult to re-arrest him later.
      Yes, I understand that. There is a State Law that prosecutes anyone who tries to harm, cause injury to an Officer of the Law. The three counts of second-degree assault against a law enforcement officer should have been enough to throw him in the Slammer for a loooong time!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

just wanted to say, about the whole flashy lights thingy...its not only HPD that use their lights to run traffic lights, an ambulance did that to me at the light just today. BUUTt like Aunty P. was saying they do a great service to the community, they work hard, and serve all of us, so what the heck....run as many lights as you please...clear the road, ......so I can follow...,heeheee

OUT,

KaYa T
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Got2HaVKaYaNoW View Post
          what the heck....run as many lights as you please...clear the road, ......so I can follow...,heeheee .
          While I don’t deny I am guilty of this as well, it certainly begins to fade your image of “innocent victim” when you admit to illegal activity.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            certainly begins to fade your image .
            Yea, I'm all faded...

"Got to have Kaya now....got to have kaya now....for the rain is falling.."~ Bob Marley~

KaYa. T.
            sigpic

Comment

The StarBulletin News Break! http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=5148

3 motorcycle officers crash in Bush motorcade

Rosemarie Bernardo

"Three Honolulu Police Department motorcycle officers were injured when they crashed while accompanying President Bush’s motorcade on Hickam Air Force Base this morning.

The president was on his way from Makalapa, where he and first lady Laura Bush spent the night, to Hickam for a breakfast with about 300 troops.

City ambulances took two officers to the Queen’s Medical Center, while the third was taken to Queen’s by federal emergency personnel.

A spokeswoman at the office of Emergency Medical Services Chief Patricia Dukes said one officer was listed in critical condition, one was listed in serious condition and the third suffered minor injuries."

Please Pray for the Officers and their families.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

In The Honolulu Advertiser: http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...11220368/1001/

Aide robbed, HPD officers in motorcade crash
                By Dan Nakaso

"Officer Steve Favella, 30, was taken to The Queen's Medical Center with internal injuries and bleeding after he and two other officers crashed near a bend along Hickam Air Force Base's O'Malley Boulevard at 7:10 a.m. yesterday.

Favella's status was changed from serious to critical condition by yesterday afternoon

The two other motorcycle officers were taken to Queen's in serious condition and later released.

Gregg Pitts, the 25-year-old acting director of the White House Travel Office who was in Bush's entourage, also remained in the hospital yesterday after he was robbed and beaten by three male attackers at about 2 a.m. as he walked through the International Marketplace near the Bobby G's dance club."

K-den...here we have HPD Officers putting their lives at risk to protect our President as he came to visit Oahu for a little while. Unfortuantely, accidents happened. My prayers and thoughts goes out to Officers especially, to the Favella Ohana.

As foa Gregg Pitts. Excuse me? Acting Director foa the White House? He should have known betta! Walking around late at night in a place he's not familiar with. Wat was he "looking foa?" Candy? Plezzzzzzz. Yeah, he didn't deserve to get beaten up. He didn't deserve to get robbed. However, if he did what he suppose to have done and listened to protocol as well as followed many "Tourist Travel Advices" which I'm sure he is much aware of since he is the "Acting Director foa White House Travel Office!"

Do I make myself clear.

If dey put da blame on Hawai'i!

Dat would surely be da PITTS!

Auntie Lynn
                Last edited by 1stwahine; November 22, 2006, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Regardless, its a sad statement that there have to be travel advisaries to visit someplace like Hawaii. Iraq I can see where you gotta watch your back, but Waikiki?

Regardless of travel protocals, no one deserves to get beaten up and robbed anywhere at anytime. I hope these punks get caught and put away, the streets will be safer without them.

I hope everyone that was injured, a speedy recovery.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I was commenting about this over here...

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...30&postcount=9

at the Bush Watch!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
                      If that's what you got out of my post, then you are making a huge leap there, buddy. I have close friends who are cops, I've dated cops and generally I like cops. (Any man in uniform, but that's another subject ...)

None of what you or anyone else has said tells me that cops should be able to drive recklessly and bust all the laws they expect us to follow. Cops in other states manage to use their turn signals when they're changing lanes; they can do it here, too. And I wasn't referring to running red lights WITH their lights on; I'm talking about the same lousy driving habits as so many others who learned to drive in Hawaii. And that's who most of the police are. Simple as that.

They're officers of the law. Too bad some here don't understand that.
                      hear, hear on this one!!! can't say better what she's already said here, except to say that if you CHOOSE to join a profession where you ENFORCE the law, then you should UPHOLD the law BY EXAMPLE, too.

if we look away all the time when cops ignore traffic laws, then we shouldn't be surprised when cops sell drugs, too.

maybe many of you will think i'm exaggerating, but it's true. what other profession dealing with law gets the "get out of jail" free card? i certainly don't see lawyers or judges or politicians being given the same kind of grace that cops get. the argument that their job is dangerous is rather hollow, too. by that reasoning, then the men and women in our armed services get to violate constitutional rights, too.

oh wait...the commander in chief already does that.

*snort*

see what happens when i have caffeine too late at night? grumpy!
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I just saw another cop run a red light. Actually, he was behind me waiting to turn left into my neighborhood, then he pulled out of my lane and turned on his lights like he was going to a call, but he turned left (infront of me since I was the first car in line) and went straight into my neighborhood. I decided to see where he went, but I didn't see his car anywhere in my area.

And I wonder why cops with personal vehicles don't do that? Always the blue and whites.
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                          Dick is right. Leave the cops alone. They got one fn tough job. My brother is a cop. He is really the only cop that I think is a dick. But he's my brother first, so I can call him that, cuz he was a dick way before he was a cop.
                          Agreeing with timkona here.

Cops got a tough job. For what they deal with and what they get paid. Cut them some slack. It's a thankless job.

Rookie pay - $36K.

Not worth the hell when you are assigned walking a beat in Waikiki dealing with drunks and troublemakers and other assorted idiots giving you an attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                            Always the blue and whites.
                            Newbies. They have to be on the force awhile to be able to use their personal car.

Comment

No one should be above the law. I don't care whether you're a cop or an aide to the Vice President of the United States.

It's one thing to respond to a call, but I've seen popo casually run reds (w/o lighting up) and even speed in gross excess of the posted limit (again w/o lighting up). Any police officer I've ever asked about this (a beat cop, a lieutenant in CID & a veteran IA officer) says this is not proper procedure and should be called in to 911 (police, non-emergency). And since it's likely the small minority of cops not following procedure are also dicks who are not well liked among their peers, you'd be doing HPD a favor by reporting such behavior.
                              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                                It's one thing to respond to a call, but I've seen popo casually run reds (w/o lighting up) and even speed in gross excess of the posted limit (again w/o lighting up).
                                Again, I think we need to put this in perspective. We have a police officer shortage in Hawai‘i. Crime is rampant in urban Honolulu. If lighting up to get through a red doesn’t hurt anyone, I would rather these officers who are stretched thin on their beat, be able to cover more ground and tend to more crimes... even if it means they have to be in a hurry to do it.

If you had a police scanner, MixedPlateBroker, you would hear just how much crime HPD is dealing with on a minute-by-minute basis. I rather them be roaming the streets, then sitting on their @ss at Dunkin’ Donuts.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X