HPD cars flashing lights to go through red lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HPD cars flashing lights to go through red lights

I don't know if we have someone with HPD here, but I've been noticing lately that HPD's blue and white cars stop at a red light for a couple of minutes, then all of the sudden turn on their lights and blast through an empty intersection, then slow down once they clear (and turning off their lights). I even see one go though a light when it just turned red, and stop at the next intersection a few yards away.

1) is it illegal for police officers to do that? an
    2) if it is, can we report it?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: HPD cars flashing lights to go through red lights

I've seen this in many cities. One time I saw them use the same technique to run a red light and get to 7-11.

Comment

Give those guys the benefit of the doubt. If you can't hear what's on their radios, you can't know what they're up to.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
        I've seen this in many cities. One time I saw them use the same technique to run a red light and get to 7-11.
        Was the 7-11 being held up

They get the power to control traffic... I sure they have the power to run a red light... and what are you going to do? Make a citizens arrest?

Comment

The cop you saw was probably abusing his power, Adrian.

But there's nothing you can do about it. They just have to tell their supervisor that they were on official police business.

If you want to be a thorn in their side, take down the car number and call it in to HPD. You gotta call the main switchboard during the work week and ask for Internal Affairs, who will then take the info.

But like I said, nothing will come of it.

Don't get me started on the cop who ignored the new crosswalk law on S. King St. the other day, while three civilians did. The pedestrian wasn't in danger until passing all of us and almost getting nailed by the cop who didn't bother to stop.

Or the cop I saw driving the wrong way on a one way street, just so he could meet up with his buddies in a gas station parking lot.

Comment

Adrian, You live near the HPD Training Facility. Maybe their practicing using how to use the lights?

Seriously, each Blue and White is equipped with whacamallit's. An officer can be dispatched to a scene at a moment's notice.

Once again, there are bad apples who abuse their power.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

One thing to mention, I think there are times that they are to respond without lights or siren as that would alert the bad guys that they are coming. That's not always a good thing.

If it appears they are "meeting with their buddies", perhaps they are acting as backup.

It's hard to say if it was official police business or not. Of course, that's what makes it so tempting for them to abuse their privileges.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                Adrian, You live near the HPD Training Facility. Maybe their practicing using how to use the lights?
                Speaking of which, I think HFD's maintenance facility is worst than HPD's training facility. HFD tested their sirens at about 9am and the intercom system is loud enough to be heard from the garage.
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                  I even see one go though a light when it just turned red, and stop at the next intersection a few yards away.
                  In that case, that one seems to be abuse of power. I can't think of any official business where a cop needs to go through a red at one intersection and then stop at the next.

As for reporting, that will be hard. Let's face it, HPD will protect their own. Only way I can see you ever making it stick is if you're on purposely hunting down their bad apples - filming it and throwing it out there to news stations, you tube, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                    I can't think of any official business where a cop needs to go through a red at one intersection and then stop at the next.
                    This is where video would be good. They have to stop at any intersection they don't have a green light for. Their lights do not give them right-of-way. It requires other drivers to give them right-of-way. If they go charging into an intersection and have an accident, they can be found at fault. So if they have a red light, or a stop sign, they will stop until they are sure that everyone has given them right-of-way and then they will continue.

Perhaps that other intersection didn't have a long enough wait to justify turning on the lights again. Assuming this was official business, there was a reason for them turning it off.

Comment

I remember an incident couple of years ago.

A HPD Officer rode a Cushman on Nuuanu Ave. the wrong way.

Bang! Hit Bus!

Luckily, no one injured.

I dunno wat happen to dat case.

I was searching foa the incident and came across dis letter in the archives.
                      http://starbulletin.com/2003/12/14/e...l/letters.html

"Mamas, don't let your kids grow up to be cops"

Why would parents encourage their child to become a Honolulu police officer? Everyone knows the good stuff about being a HPD officer; now let's look at some of the not-so-good stuff.

>> The profession of police officer is increasingly the most dangerous on this island.
                      >> They see the ugliest of human carnage and cruelty.
                      >> People they arrest hate them; motorists they ticket curse them.
                      >> An officer must make split-second, life-and-death decisions, yet can be held personally liable for a mistake.
                      >> Officers have high rates of divorce, alcoholism and suicide.
                      >> Depending on the type of police work they do, their own families may be placed in danger.

Any parent who encourages his or her child to become a Honolulu police officer should be reported to the police immediately."

Dang! I didn't encourage my daughter...I'm proud of her!

Not everyone gets in.

The process itself is mindblowing! Only the top make-it!

Sorry! Neva find the article but I found this.
                      http://starbulletin.com/2005/06/14/news/kokualine.html

Police siren use depends on situation

"Question: Is there any procedure for reporting unusual activity of a police car? On Thursday, May 26, about 5:20 p.m., I was in the far right lane on Punahou Street, heading mauka, just about to turn right on Dole Street. This is in front of Arcadia, where there are three lanes: a left-turn-only lane and two lanes heading mauka. A police car that had been in the left-turn-only lane abruptly cut across one lane and into my lane, in front of me, to turn right onto Dole Street. There was no siren, and the driver used no turn signals or flashing lights. As he proceeded down Dole, he did not turn on any siren nor flash any lights, and did not appear to increase his speed. Is this legal activity?

Answer: The license number and other details you provided helped track down the officer, as well as to determine what was happening at that time to account for his actions.

The officer was responding to a motor vehicle collision, said Capt. Frank Fujii, spokesman for the Honolulu Police Department.

"This officer was not familiar with the area -- he was filling in the beat for the regular police officer," he said. "He thought he had cleared the traffic" when he made his sudden moves.

"Technically," officers are supposed to activate lights and sirens for an emergency, Fujii said.

Although police would want to get to a call about a motor vehicle accident as quickly as possible, "it's really the officer's discretion whether (a call) is an emergency or not," he said.

Fujii also was reluctant to say the officer broke any rules because using sirens/lights often depends on the circumstances. But the important thing is that you brought it to HPD's attention and "we were able to address it," he said. "The officer was spoken to about the matter."

If you or anyone else sees something questionable involving an officer, Fujii said to write to HPD with as many details as possible or just call him at 529-3550."
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; November 12, 2006, 03:49 PM.
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        If it appears they are "meeting with their buddies", perhaps they are acting as backup.
                        Nope. Two cars were sitting in the lot, with an sergeant and another officer standing there. One on his cell phone, the other eating a bag of chips.

The cop that went the wrong way? He pulled in, said hello to his co-workers, then proceeded inside the gas station's mini-mart to get a cup of coffee.

All this while I stood there filling up my vehicle with gas.

I'm all for giving cops the benefit of the doubt, but I've simply seen too many instances where they're just taking advantage of the power that comes with wearing a badge.

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                        If you or anyone else sees something questionable involving an officer, Fujii said to write to HPD with as many details as possible or just call him at 529-3550."
                        There you go, Adrian. Call Capt. Fujii if you get beef.

Comment

Generally, HPD cops (at least the ones I see on the roads) are disgraceful when it comes to following traffic laws. In every other state in the country that I've visited or lived in, cops in official vehicles tend to follow traffic laws. But HPD cops speed, weave erratically from lane to lane without signaling and run red lights. No, not when they're on the way to some oh-so-important "traffic incident" or other bull. Just because they feel like it, like everyone else. They think laws don't apply to them. What scares me is, they don't even seem to grasp why it's important to use turn signals, or stop at crosswalks, or go within 25 mph of the speed limit on the freeway.

It pisses me off. Who are they to pull over someone for not wearing a seat belt if they're not even bright enough to understand the importance of using turn signals, the most BASIC piece of safety equipment on a vehicle?

I always wear my seat belt. I usually go the speed limit these days, after getting too many tickets. (Yeah, so?) I use my turn signal because I'm not a freaking moron with no concept of the consequence of my actions/inactions. I never throw shit out of my car window.

I follow traffic laws. I damn well want the police to follow them, too.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
                            Generally, HPD cops (at least the ones I see on the roads) are disgraceful when it comes to following traffic laws. In every other state in the country that I've visited or lived in, cops in official vehicles tend to follow traffic laws.
                            Has it been a tough night MadAzza?

I want to honestly say that from where I'm from in Bellingham, Washington to where I am now living in Honolulu, Hawaii.... Cops seem to be much more lenient to me from my general experiences....

Gee... maybe this is something to look into a bit further.... In Bellingham... cops thought I was an Indian because of my skin color.... now, here in Hawaii... I get pulled over and well.... I will leave it that...

Comment

I dunno Madazza, it's pretty bad here some days!

The 3am drag races. I actually stopped my car and photographed them!
                              Pulling me over and asking if I was "lost" then telling me he did because he was "bored".

Not using blinkers and being hit from the side! (in the newspaper a few weeks ago) 5 witness's noted the officer did not use his blinker. Only the third wreck for this particular officer.

And the shooting of a 15 year old boy who had no weapon in broad daylight!
                              The investigation found the officer used undue force and did not follow procedure.
                              All in the last year.

I think it may be worse in HI but it is bad here too. Which to me say it can happen anywhere!
                              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                              Sharing withother survivors...
                              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Working...
                              X