X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUV plunges into McCully condo pool

Too funny.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...384291706.html

How do you explain this to your insurance company?

Re: SUV plunges into McCully condo pool

The pool is on the third floor deck of the condominium parking garage. Girard said the smashed white vinyl fence was brand new.
    But what about the fence...

You know... the best way to explain it to the insurance agent would be just to tell them the truth... but I can see the jokes about this one...!
    "Wanted to see if the doors really were really airtight?"
    Last edited by damontucker; November 17, 2006, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Roach problem gone.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Looks like part of the fence is on the bottom of the pool with the SUV (the white things on the bottom).

Comment

I'm curious about the "new" fence. Did it replace another kind of barricade? Wouldn't it be ironic if that fence was put in after untold dozens of folks complained that someone might drive into the pool without one... only to have a car go swimming only after one was installed?

The weird thing is, I lived in that building for a few months, but I barely remember there even being a pool!

Comment

To me, a “vinyl fence” seems largely symbolic. If the Regency Towers had thought this through, they would have installed a metal chain-link (with rust-protective coating) fence which is both stronger, and allows the sunlight through for those tanning themselves at the pool.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Just by looking at the picture... what it looks like they were trying to do is give the tenants more parking space and less pool space. Notice the green on the outside of the fence? I'm assuming that is the original Pool area and they were just increasing parking.

Comment

Not again! Heck, looks like Toyota SUVs love the water, as this happened to another Hawaii resident (in Hawaii Kai to be exact - while she was taking a driving lesson)
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

There is now a nice little video clip of the car getting pulled out of the pool and more details on the incident itself here.
                  http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0344/1190/NEWS

Comment

The Toyota will need several repairs, Sniffen said. "It's going to be a car that has a lot of problems."
                    Frankly, I'd think it would be totaled. But maybe with it being fresh water, the insurance company will try to fix it. I pity the next owner of it.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      Frankly, I'd think it would be totaled. But maybe with it being fresh water, the insurance company will try to fix it. I pity the next owner of it.
                      I think it depends on the cost of repairs. For the insurance, it's always just an equation, which method, repair or write off, is cheaper for them. Even with a running tab of $7k on towing already, a '03 4Runner has a pretty high blue book value to work with. But one thing's for sure, flood damaged cars will always have gremlins thereafter, especially the electrical components.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        For the insurance, it's always just an equation, which method, repair or write off, is cheaper for them.
                        Agreed. I guess the first question is if the interior can be dried out or if it will have to be replaced. The second question is how expensive the electronic components are like the ECM, stereo, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          Agreed. I guess the first question is if the interior can be dried out or if it will have to be replaced. The second question is how expensive the electronic components are like the ECM, stereo, etc.
                          Given that the SUV wasn't in saltwater and wasn't in the pool that long, I think most of the interior is salvageable. Probably will need a bit of labor to disassemble the interior and air it out though. Second question of cost of electronic components is also a concern. But the biggest problem is the actual wiring that runs through the chassis. To replace that would be like building the SUV from scratch so they're not gonna do that. This is what makes owning a flood damaged car a game of russian roulette. You can replace the ECM, stereo, etc, but when the wiring wants to act up, that's gonna drive the owner nuts. One second, things are fine, next it's not.

Comment

Working...
                          X