Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In Defense of "Honkeys"

Originally posted by kimo55 View Post
    i choose to not honk, not to avoid punches, but (and this may be an anomaly,) I just seem to have more patience and time, and a tendency to wanna allow people to exhibit human foibles, as I would hope they allow me mine, than a need to make noise and push and exhibit road manners in diametrical opposition to the way I was raised.
    kaaaaaako'o! beautifully stated, Kimo.

pax

Comment

Re: the "honkey's" resolute defense of herself

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
      i'm the one who lacks manners and (good) behavior?

i'm the one who is lacking aloha?
      Yes you don't need to prove to anyone of us but you just did. Nobody ignored your original concern of people blocking intersections, I think I did say twice that I agree with you that those people are really bad, BUT becoming part of the problem by what you indicated makes you a target for what pisses other people off and suddenly the focus is on you and not the ignorant slut blocking the intersection.

You call it a scolding, I call it a warning. I take it you cannot take constructive criticism because most of us here agree that your actions are equally pissy yet you defend yourself believing there is nothing wrong with what you imply. It's obvious your view is not the popular one to heed.

My warning is a simple one from one poster (myself) to you as a concerned person that your actions on the road eventually will result in someone with less smarts than you will take the emotional route and educate you with his bare hands or some sort of lethal weapon.

Hey if I didn't care about your safety, I wouldn't keep warning you about CONSEQUENCES. Like I said before to Timkona: Sometimes your worst enemy can be your best friend.

Blocking intersections is a pet peeve of yours, it's all of ours, but it's how we digest this incident and keep it that asshole's problem and not yours is the difference in how we make it less pissy to each of us. It bugs you it bugs me, but I won't get punched in the face by Tufi one day, you on the other hand is just asking for it. I intend to keep Tufi from tuning your okole by my warning.

Friends? Hey if I didn't care, I'd be selling tickets to that brawl on Piikoi and Lunalilo and making money off of your pain.

And to all of us here, we're all friends here and have been the subject of being flamed but we come back because you can lose that spouse but one's greatest assets are their friends.

<group hug>

And you notice this thread has developed it's own Title. Thanks Admin for keeping this one alive.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: In Defense of &quot;Honkeys&quot;

latest update on my honking against those who block intersections:

today, the beau was driving me downtown in afternoon traffic. we were approaching the beretania/pali-bishop intersection when--surprise, surprise--five cars, on a yellow, purposely squeezed their way across from the diamond head side of beretania. while most of those drivers worriedly scrambled to try to unclog the blockage they caused, one driver insisted on sticking out, preventing the two rightmost lanes of pali-bishop from moving. we were in the second lane to the right.

for some serendipitous reason, eric had left the walmart special hand horn-y thing in the car. i gave the driver of the blocking car a good three seconds to reconsider her lack of movement and switch lanes so that we could go forward. my brief leniency did no good, so i picked up the horn-y thing, pointed it right at her open window, and let her have it with a good, loud, satisfying BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT of a honk.

hmmm. i should mention that she was putting on mascara whilst she was blocking traffic??!!

i'm glad some of the mascara ended up on her cheek.

doubt she'll be blocking traffic like that again.

superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Best reason for reviving a dead thread - for a funny story.

Comment

Here we go again.

Funny story... since it was a hapless female driver with mascara issues. Probably would've been funny (or even likely) with an amped up muscle-bound dude who just got dumped by his girlfriend.

Have your fun, play your games, but you might not always have the last laugh.

Comment

The only time I honk my horn is when:
              1. Someone is about to hit my me backing out in a parking lot (that saved me from a collision several times)
              2. Someone is about to merge into my lane (without looking or paying attention) and hit me (again, prevented an accident)
              3. Someone is sitting in front of me at a traffic light on a green signal and doesn't go after, say about 10 seconds (usually on their cellphone ).
              ...and that doesn't happen very often.

Unlike say, New York or the Philippines, most Hawaii locals are conservative about using their horn, and with that, sometimes translate the use of it as someone telling them the F-word in one context or another. With that, as Craig pointed out, horn-honking can instigate a roadrage incident, such as someone throwing a doo-doo daiper at your windshield, as Puai witnessed.

My girlfriend is from laid-back Maui, yet she honks her horn at drivers in Honolulu more than I feel comfortable with, which I get on her case about and attempt to stop her if I see her about to honk at what's nothing more than just a frustrated reaction.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Hey, Cyn --- I guess people (myself included, last time) feel they didn't give you enough heat for honking your horn at a blocked intersection last time; looks like there's more to come.

Hope you put up your heat shields before choosing to revive the thread.

Comment

I always honk when somebody, who thinks they are driving with Aloha, comes to a stop in the middle of a green light intersection, to let somebody merge in from the right.

I always honk when I see a ciggy butt (or any other litter) come flying out of a window.

And if you pass me on a double yellow line, in 5 mph, stop & go traffic, then I will honk at you until you are no longer in front of me, or I have goaded you into a road rage performance.

"Evil men, and good lawyers, know that Self-Defense is an airtight excuse."
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I keep my honks to short beeps, not long blaring blasts.

Comment

Horn honks can be friendly in intent. I've toot-tooted folks who fail to notice a green light for example. And yeah, I've gotten beeped at myself. A chagrined wave and a smile is generally all that follows.

An air horn in the face? Making friends is definitely not the intent.

Life's too short. And I say this having once been a serious road rager. I'm doing a fine enough job shortening my life on my own without wasting time and taking risks with other people's stupidity.

Comment

I guess when I made the remark some time ago about the "honkeys" being "not from here", I should have added that the word "haole" does not always mean someone who is white or a newcomer. Its also a description of behaviour.

and - someone who gets so impatient that they will use an airhorn in someone's face is just hopeless. The corner of Beretania/Pali/Bishop Sts. is the site of 2 major condo construction sites. If you must be impatient - then just don't try that intersection for the next couple of months. I go through that intersection every morning on the bus - sometimes the traffic causes the bus to miss the light. Big F*****G deal! If you insist of being there - expect delays. Expect folks to not always be fast, like on the continent.

and for "whoevers" sake, get a life! If you are delayed a few minutes with someone putting on mascara - it's not the end of the world!! It's just not that important. Maybe she was putting on mascara because she was stuck in traffic. Ending the war in Iraq, ending world hunger? those are important. Being stuck in traffic for a few minutes is a very manini problem - not the end of the world. and not worth the anger you seem to exude when confronted with others who may not be as smart or quick as you are. Your pet peeve, anger, rage - whatever you want to call it is just wasted on these minor traffic situations.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          I guess when I made the remark some time ago about the "honkeys" being "not from here", I should have added that the word "haole" does not always mean someone who is white or a newcomer. Its also a description of behaviour.

and - someone who gets so impatient that they will use an airhorn in someone's face is just hopeless. The corner of Beretania/Pali/Bishop Sts. is the site of 2 major condo construction sites. If you must be impatient - then just don't try that intersection for the next couple of months. I go through that intersection every morning on the bus - sometimes the traffic causes the bus to miss the light. Big F*****G deal! If you insist of being there - expect delays. Expect folks to not always be fast, like on the continent.

and for "whoevers" sake, get a life! If you are delayed a few minutes with someone putting on mascara - it's not the end of the world!! It's just not that important. Maybe she was putting on mascara because she was stuck in traffic. Ending the war in Iraq, ending world hunger? those are important. Being stuck in traffic for a few minutes is a very manini problem - not the end of the world. and not worth the anger you seem to exude when confronted with others who may not be as smart or quick as you are. Your pet peeve, anger, rage - whatever you want to call it is just wasted on these minor traffic situations.
                          I'm surprised at the amount of heat ericncyn is getting. Unless I misread the story, the mascara lady on purposely squeezed herself across the intersection knowing the light was turning yellow and also knowing she be stuck out in the middle of the intersection blocking cross traffic. You know that's an actual traffic violation right? It is people like this that cause accidents. At least the other perpetrators tried to change lanes to squeeze themselves past the intersection markers according to ericncyn. So are you saying mascara lady did not deserve a honk? Guess the only real question is, was using the air horn a little overkill? Personally, I think it was a little deserving on the mascara lady's end. People who are driving shouldn't be doing anything but driving. All too often, we see people putting on makeup, shaving, etc. Cell phone I'm iffy, depends if you got a head set or not. Mascara lady was committing two infractions, purposefully and selfishly blocking traffic, and not giving devoted attention to the wheel.

Comment

First of all, I'll admit that the Piikoi /Lunalilo intersection is notorious for being blocked by inconsiderate assclowns turning left onto Lunalilo from Piikoi. This makes it very annoying for people who want to turn into the Makiki Post Office or left onto Pensacola street so I can relate to Cyn's frustrations. To avoid getting pissed off by dumb drivers, I usually take Wilder to Pensacola and avoid that stupid intersection all together.

As far as horn usage is concerned, I echo Poiboy's sentiments. I refrain from using the horn. I think it's rude and inconsiderate. Just because somebody else is being an ass, doesn't mean you have to be one as well.The Air horn is kinda over the top.

There are people I know who would put their foot through the windshields of cars who toot. Toot with caution people and if you look too white or have out of state plates on your car, don't toot at all unless you are ready to throw down on the street.

Comment

I know the title of this thread was meant to be humorous, but perhaps it should have been titled "In defense of honkers"? Might as well start from now...

honkey

honker

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                                Gotta love definition #7:
                                When the white man came to get a slave in the old days, he would drive up in his truck and signal the slave owner by honking his horn, thus the slaves would call them 'honkey'. White people are not offended by this term.

Imus got himself a new job already?

Comment

Working...
                                X