X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elitUSt$ governments vs. Hawai'i , Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 4

. elitUSt$ governments vs. Hawai'i
    --Employing such a precondition (as: 'If some company wants to invest millions of dollars in a massive venture that won't spell an end to the world as we know it, and might even have some benefits, I say "go for it" ) would have prohibited nothing that has ever happened since the beginning of recorded history and would prohibit nothing that could ever happen in the future that would be short of 'an end to the world as we know it' .--wkai

---Well, nuclear weapons is one development that wouldn't have happened.---composite2992
    I wonder if a required course in "Logic" could have benefitted you at some past time? Are you saying that at the time of the development of nuclear weapons that the development then did, does/has spelled or will spell "an end to the world as we know it", but that nuclear weapons were developed anyway? And again, who is your "we" in your "world as we know it": isn't your "we" those humans who are of 'the world of US' which is only a small fraction of the world of humans? When the world of US developed nuclear weapons it was not then acknowledged by virtually anyone of 'the world of US' that nuclear weapons might someday lead to "an end to the world as we/ US know it".
    --There's lots more but this is already going far off topic.-- c2992

Off topic? Is not the folly of Hawaii superferries directly a creature pushed upon Hawai'i by/from the world of US ?
    --People will realize that the Superferry is not the apocalypse afloat.--
    Is there someone who is saying that HSF will be a curse for US Oahuans? No, it is truthfully being sold and recognized as a blessing for US Oahuans, but, in this case, what may pass for a while as a blessing to Oahuans in general, will from beginning to end be a curse to all Hawai'i and the vast majority of non-Oahuans.

--We have an economic democracy in which people cast daily votes with their wallets.-- c2992

Wrong! US's America is a corporation-representative democracy... not a popular democracy, and certainly not an economic democracy. Corporations and the government which so well represents US corporations decide what it is that consumers in the economic world of US have available to purchase (or as you say, "cast their vote$ for") in the economic markets of US. U.S. Citizens and non-citizens can cast their vote$ legally only for that which corporations and their government want to be sold.
    --In the kingdom of Hawaii all the authority was in the hands of a few.--
    Obviously it is convenient for your point of view and purpose to not acknowledge the evolution of society and politics Hawai'i in the 19th Century prior to US's choking the blossom of Hawai'i before Hawai'i had a chance to bloom. And then look at the Empire of US !! Talk about authority being in the hands of a few, past and present!!! What ignorant arrogance it is to infer that US's United States is somehing other than 'government by the few'!
    Last edited by waioli kai; April 8, 2007, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by waioli kai View Post
      Is not the folly of Hawaii superferries directly a creature pushed upon Hawai'i by/from the world of US ?
      Whoa... somebody is clearly off their medications!
      Pschotic paranoid schizophrenia is treatable. Trollism, on the other hand...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
        How do you know this? did you live during this time? did you speak with people who lived during this time? What one considers paradise is merely subjective.
        Very good point but to be fair, I need to ask the same questions in return. Why do some so strongly believe old Hawaii was paradise? How do they know this? Did they live during those times? Did they speak with those who lived during those times?

Comment

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Whoa... somebody is clearly off their medications!
          Pschotic paranoid schizophrenia is treatable. Trollism, on the other hand...
          heheheh...

I gotta LAugh.

So sorry. But it's TRUE. Mental Illness is TREATABLE.

tROLLISM is NOT.

I can't wait till the Superferry starts!

Yeeeehaaaa!

Auntie Lynn

btw: I respect everyone's opinion. This is a Public Forum.
          Last edited by 1stwahine; April 9, 2007, 01:32 PM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

• Re: elitUSt$ governments vs. Hawai'i , Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by waioli kai View Post
            Talk about authority being in the hands of a few, past and present!!! What ignorant arrogance it is to infer that US's United States is somehing other than 'government by the few'!
            OK, it's clear you hate the US and would rather live in an agrarian society with a dictator instead of a democratic governent. No problem. But you're not going to find that here.

If you can't understand that people in today's society are free to make their own choices, and can make a decent living by getting a good education and by putting in a lot of hard work, then you are a lost cause. Continue living life as a "victim of circumstances". Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

As for the Superferry, it's on it's way. And I'll be among those occasionally making use of it's services. It's not the incarnation of corporate evil. It's just a couple of boats!

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              Very good point but to be fair, I need to ask the same questions in return. Why do some so strongly believe old Hawaii was paradise? How do they know this? Did they live during those times? Did they speak with those who lived during those times?
              I'd ask my Kupuna but those in the know aren't around anymore.

Unlike Composite, I made no definitive claim or judgment as to the sentiments of the populace back in the day. In fact, I clearly stated that perception was a matter of subjectivity. Who decides what is paradise is or not? Composite seems to think he is the foremost authority on the subject. What gives him the right to think he can speak on behalf of everyone who lived during that time?

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                Unlike Composite, I made no definitive claim or judgment as to the sentiments of the populace back in the day. In fact, I clearly stated that perception was a matter of subjectivity. Who decides what is paradise is or not? Composite seems to think he is the foremost authority on the subject. What gives him the right to think he can speak on behalf of everyone who lived during that time?
                Death penalty for fishing out of season. Death penalty for stepping on an alii's shadow or to cast a shadow upon one. Human sacrifice from "untouchable" members of society. Forced labor.

Behave and do as they say, or die a horrible and sometimes slow death.

These are not part of any sane person's definition of "paradise". Unless you define a death penalty as being merely "assertive".

I'm not making this stuff up. It comes from academics who have studied ancient Polynesian culture extensively. And by many accounts, it was NOT a kinder and gentler nation. Those in power were put there by force. And the ones who replaced them usually got there by inheritence, subterfuge or murder... or a combination thereof.

This is nuts and way OT. That's it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                  Death penalty for fishing out of season. Death penalty for stepping on an alii's shadow or to cast a shadow upon one. Human sacrifice from "untouchable" members of society. Forced labor.

These are not part of any sane person's definition of "paradise". Unless you define a death penalty as being merely "assertive".

I'm not making this stuff up. It comes from academics who have studied ancient Polynesian culture extensively. And by many accounts, it was NOT a kinder and gentler nation. Those in power were put there by force. And the ones who replaced them usually got there by inheritence, subterfuge or murder... or a combination thereof.

This is nuts and way OT. That's it for me.

Thanks for your off topic ramblings. My stance on your comments remain.
                  Last edited by Keanu; April 9, 2007, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Eh, I vote for da boat! I like ride!

Eh, dis on'y goin' be one more boat added to the THOUSANDS that currently inhabit da 'aina and go from island to island without anybody's permission or inspection.

How about we require an E.I.S. for Hokule'a when she come back from da cruise? Who knows WHAT kine stuffs dey went pick up down dere? No?

And what about da container ships? Inspection, huh? So DASS how da peep peep frogs went infest B.I.? Oh, yeah. We betta put a stop to DAT right away! Oh? What? Dey not goin? Howcome? Small kine not working? Get too much frogs awreddy? Cost too much? Auwe.

Mebbe we bring in some brown tree snakes fo' eat alla frogs? I wonder if dat will work??

Hehehe.
                    Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

Forced labor.
                      These are not part of any sane person's definition of "paradise".
                      More like the definition of "my office."

Happily skipping away, with an OT grin...

Comment

Betcha By golly WOW!!!! I would fit right in!

I am A LEMURIAN DESCENDANT!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

From a Breaking News item at this link, here's some good news:

"Hawaii Superferry announced today that its interisland vessel has successfully completed sea trials conducted in the Gulf of Mexico.
                          "The trials by shipbuilder Austal USA are part of a review and testing of the systems, machinery and equipment aboard the four-story vessel set to begin service from Honolulu in July.
                          "Sea trials went very well and we are extremely pleased with the capabilities of this vessel," said Dan Spiegel, Austal's chief operating officer. "It's truly remarkable to experience the power and control of this catamaran.
                          "Completing sea trials in only five days and achieving or surpassing all performance parameters specified for the vessel is an excellent result," he said.
                          (…)
                          "The christening of the vessel is to be held Saturday in Mobile, Ala., where it was built.
                          "Austral is expected to hand over the vessel to Hawaii Superferry at the end of the month. It will then make its way to Hawai'i via the Panama Canal in May."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                            Betcha By golly WOW!!!! I would fit right in!

I am A LEMURIAN DESCENDANT!

Auntie Lynn
                            Betcha By golly Wow...1972 The Stylistics flip side to that 45 was Oh Girl, ironically at the time one of the only 45-RPM records to have a hit on both sides at the same time. Capitol Records.

Talk about OT...but that little factoid just sticks in my head for some strange reason. I bought the 45 at Kahala Music in Kahala Mall.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hmm, maybe Pride of Hawaii's departure will alleviate some of the concerns for space at Kahului?

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...714562039.html

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                Betcha By golly Wow...1972 The Stylistics flip side to that 45 was Oh Girl, ironically at the time one of the only 45-RPM records to have a hit on both sides at the same time. Capitol Records.
                                Actually "Betcha By Golly Wow" was released on Avco Records in late 1971, became a hit in 1972 and the flip side of the 45 was "Ebony Eyes," which became a radio hit in Hawaii.

"Oh Girl" was released on Brunswick Records by The Chi-Lites in 1972.

I guess I'll listen to these songs with my iPod when I get around to taking a trip on the Superferry (trying to stay on topic) sometime in the near future.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X