This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Thanks for the great write-up, glossyp. The mentions of the safety features is also appreciated. Considering the number of people who are afraid to fly, I really wonder how deep-seated the phobias are of sea travel.

There has actually been some watercooler chat about the Superferry where I work. I think they're definitely coming into a market different from the one they scoped out, thanks to the go!-inspired race to airline bankruptcy. When we were looking at ridiculous airport security plus $160-$320 round trip airfares, the Superferry looked like a fantastic option. Now, Superferry fares seem high compared to $39 plane rides.

Of course, Superferry pricing is hopefully actually realistic versus costs. But as the whole go! fight has shown, people vote with their wallets.

I still think the Superferry offers a great alternative to airlines. Sitting with kids in that lobby-style environment sure seems a lot less stressful than strapping them into stiff airplane seats. The fact that there'll be some ameneties -- versus, you know, a plastic cup of juice -- is a plus. So is the ability to take my own messy van, versus renting and worrying about spilling something in an expensive rental car. It wouldn't take a very long trip where saving on a rental car pays for itself. It's a longer trip, but altogether sounds like less of a hair-pulling exercise than dealing with modern airport life.

I'm looking forward to taking a trip on the Superferry. The Alakai only services Maui and Kauai, so our only question is which island to visit first! I hope it does well enough so the second, Big Island ferry shows up as scheduled next year. Then I'll ride the Superferry all the time.

Comment

Some people prefer to ride mopeds or motorcycles to catching the Bus or hailing taxis. Perhaps those same people would pass on the Superferry and airlines if this became widely available/affordable.

Sorry for the tangent all, but I couldn't resist. I guarantee watching the video will put a grin on your face though.
      "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        The Superferry is on the horizon, just above the white lamp post in the center of the photo (look on the right of the lamp post and to left of the palm tree).
        Oh yeah.... there... there it is!
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I'm wondering about how steep the load/unloading ramps are. I drive a sports car which sits pretty close to the ground. I want to be able to drive it on Maui, but not if I'm going to suffer some undercarriage damage getting it there.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            Anyone check out the Superferry site? They are taking reservations now and an interesting discovery. Looks like they are tacking on fuel surcharges to each pax and vehicle. That's not looking good. Not to mention, annoying. Can't stand looking at fares, whether it be bus, plane, boat, only to find that there are hidden fees or surcharges. To me, that's always a customer service no no, trying to mislead the customer.
            30.8%...Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Yikes!
              Ah, but folks need to remember that the article also included this:

"That depends on a number of variables, but as long as the interisland airlines are conducting a fare war, many shorter trips to the Neighbor Islands are cheaper by air, even when including the price of a rental car."

SuperFerry set up their fare schedule a loooong time ago, before all these airfare wars. Clearly the airlines can't run forever at $39 per ticket (or less). I fully expect SuperFerry prices to meet or beat the airlines, but even if they don't they offer such a vastly superior package that it'll be well worth any possible price differential.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I checked out the Superferry's web site for pricing. Just for myself between Honolulu and Lihue without a car would cost me around $170. This for travel on a Tuesday, return on a Friday and upgrade to a lounge. The fuel surcharge ran around $14 for the Tuesday trip and $17 for the Friday trip.

The drawback to the site is for the lounge upgrade, for a round trip it does it for both trips, it doesn't give you an option if you want it on one of them.

Comment

I think the takeaways from the Superferry folks in the Advertiser article are worth repeating. On the basis of cost, walking into the middle of an airline fare war makes Superferry trips less attractive.

But what the Superferry offers is a lot more than Point A to Point B. There are not only practical considerations that make the Superferry attractive (bring your Jeep and kayak with little fuss), but emotional ones as well. Travel by sea has a whole separate mystique than air travel.

If getting there fast and cheap were the only considerations, cruise ships wouldn't exist. I'm not saying the Superferry will make money banking on the "romance of seafaring" angle, but it's certainly relevant.

Comment

Just for the heck of it I attempted to check out go! and Aloha websites for roughly the same time period, which basically is around the Thanksgiving holiday and from experience I tend to travel away from the crowds like leaving on a Tuesday and coming back on a Saturday.

In the case of the Superferry they don't travel to Lihue on a Saturday so that is why I opted for the Friday return trip.

go! was sold out for all flights on November 20 to Lihue and November 24 to Honolulu. I was quoted $99 round trip for Aloha but there was at least one flight from Lihue that was sold out. The sale price for seats on Aloha was either $39 or $49 depending on the time but there was one flight from Lihue that the sale price was at $109. The non-sale price on Aloha for a one-way ticket is $169.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      I think the takeaways from the Superferry folks in the Advertiser article are worth repeating. On the basis of cost, walking into the middle of an airline fare war makes Superferry trips less attractive.

But what the Superferry offers is a lot more than Point A to Point B. There are not only practical considerations that make the Superferry attractive (bring your Jeep and kayak with little fuss), but emotional ones as well. Travel by sea has a whole separate mystique than air travel.

If getting there fast and cheap were the only considerations, cruise ships wouldn't exist. I'm not saying the Superferry will make money banking on the "romance of seafaring" angle, but it's certainly relevant.
                      Well said. I'm looking forward not only to the convenience of bringing my own car interisland but also the trip itself.

I have always loved the ocean. It has always been a source of peace and comfort for me. Magical, mystical. I have never lived more than five minutes from the sea. Grew up with boats, beaches, salt and sand. I truly believe I would wither, wilt, and die if I were to be landlocked.

To me, an ocean voyage of any length of time is an absolute joy.

Even if it costs a bit more, I'm taking the boat.

Comment

I have rode a few different ferries and I don't expect much for this sea commute. The price is a bit high especially if you want only a weekend neighbor island trip. For a longer trip it would even out in cost.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          And no prop burns when they run over the whales.

No, the whales will be OK - it's the tons of much smaller fish that will get sucked into the jet intake that won't do so well. I hope the turtles manage to stay clear.

Aloha!

Comment

Clear Channel radio stations are giving away free tours of the Hawaii Superferry this coming Saturday July 14. So far they have sign up times for 10 am to 2 pm. Register at any of the Clear Channel radio station sites in Hawaii. The ones that I checked were:

KHVH 830 AM: http://www.khvh830am.com/main.html
                            KSSK FM 92.3: http://www.ksskradio.com/main.html
                            Star 101.9 FM: http://www.star1019fm.com/main.html
                            Hot 93.9 FM: http://www.i-94.net/main.html

Look for the Superferry logo on each of those pages. You have to register your name and address and they send you a confirming email after you register for the tour.

No parking available at Pier 19 though they say there will be a shuttle from Dole Cannery and Topa Tower (where is Topa tower?)....

At this time I have not gotten my confirming email on this.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              No parking available at Pier 19 though they say there will be a shuttle from Dole Cannery and Topa Tower (where is Topa tower?)....
                              http://www.topafinancialcenter.com/
                              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

OK.. the old Amfac Buildings... hehe. I hate it when something I was long familiar with changes names and I forget about it.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X