X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Miulang, you're lying again. In post #101 you wrote:
    "I'm really kinda surprised that you're bashing two of the leading pro-business publications in Hawai'i." You did NOT say then that I was bashing the reporters (which I also wasn't), and which you now wrongly claim is what you said... you very clearly said originally that I was bashing the "publications".
    And since you refuse to retract or apologize, even when confronted with the truth, consider this a formal complaint to the Adminstrator about your slanderous comment.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Miulang, you're lying again. In post #101 you wrote:
      "I'm really kinda surprised that you're bashing two of the leading pro-business publications in Hawai'i." You did NOT say then that I was bashing the reporters (which I also wasn't), and which you now wrongly claim is what you said... you very clearly said originally that I was bashing the "publications".
      And since you refuse to retract or apologize, even when confronted with the truth, consider this a formal complaint to the Adminstrator about your slanderous comment.
      in your very own words: /splutter/ Explain your intent in describing the reporters for PBN and Hawai'i reporter in the fashion that you did, then? Was it just out of exasperation? And if it makes you happy, here's my apology: Lika, I apologize profusely for using words that were interpreted by you in a manner that was not intended by me. Danged if semantics aren't the cause of most of the world's problems!

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

At last night's public hearing on Maui, Terry O'Halloran explained to a smaller than normal (for Superferry hearings, anyway) crowd the docking and loading and unloading procedures that will be used by HSF. HSF is making a slight modification to its check in/loading times to try to avoid the peak a.m. traffic times on Hana Hwy.

The barge that will be the "dock" at Kahului Harbor will not be moved into place until June.

Maui County is still proceeding with plans to do an EIS for harbor use by all potential customers for the year 2030.

The next Kahului Harbor master plan, out to 2030, is being prepared and a draft environmental impact statement will be released about the time Superferry starts business.
        Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Opponents are backpedaling, and the SuperFerry is moving steadily forward, per the wishes of a clear majority of Hawai`i's residents.
          The Advertiser's front page, top story today is at this link with a headline of NEW STUDY WILL NOT DELAY SUPERFERRY and the story includes these bits:

"The Hawai'i Superferry would be able to launch in July as planned while the state conducts an environmental study on its potential effect on state harbors, under a compromise agreed to by the state Senate yesterday.
          "Neighbor Island senators backed off a demand that the Superferry conduct an environmental impact statement even if it delayed the July launch."
          (...)
          "We've always felt that you cannot require one private company or entity to do an EIS, and not require that for others," said Scott Ishikawa, a Transportation Department spokesman.
          "Other interisland transportation companies, such as Young Brothers, did not have to do an environmental review."

The story is also in today's Star-Bulletin at this link and includes these bits:

"Hawaii Superferry opponents in the state Senate backed off attempts to halt the ferry service until an environmental impact statement can be done.
          "Instead, senators yesterday called for the state to complete an EIS while the Superferry is allowed to start service between Honolulu and Maui in July."
          (...)
          "The strong supporters realized that it was in everyone's interest to move the issue forward. With all the court challenges, just holding up the Superferry was not what we wanted to do," said Senate President Colleen Hanabusa (D, Nanakuli-Makua)."

Full details of both stories are at the links, of course.
          Last edited by LikaNui; March 7, 2007, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Nice to see a reasonable compromise being reached.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              Nice to see a reasonable compromise being reached.
              Indeed it is.
              There was a good editorial Wednesday in the Advertiser at this link about how politics is the basis for the recent legislation against the SuperFerry -- which the editorial calls "an obstructionist strategy" -- includes the following:

"This is not how good planning is supposed to work. This is, however, how politics does work."
              (...)
              "It's a bad idea, not because the concerns about the environment are unreasonable, but because it's a needlessly draconian action where more workable solutions exist. Beyond its irrationality, the bill attempts an end-run on a process of decisions and appeals."
              (...)
              "It comes at the eleventh hour, years after the state's finding (upheld by the court) that an EIS is not required for the launch of the passenger-cargo-vehicle service between O'ahu and Maui, ultimately to link all major islands. This maneuver will waste inordinate amounts of taxpayers' money, including millions of dollars invested in harbor improvements that were approved, in part, because the Superferry was anticipated."
              (...)
              "It isn't necessary. Much of the study that an EIS would compel has already been done in the form of environmental assessments. There is nothing to stop the state from examining the data from these reports to mandate improvements that are necessary to protect public interests."

Boldface highlights added by yours truly.
              The full text of the editorial is at the link provided above.

Comment

The Advertiser's front page, top story today ... with a headline of NEW STUDY WILL NOT DELAY SUPERFERRY
                Then you get today's S-B, with a headline of Revised bill could delay Superferry. Ai-ya.

I was on a Hawaiian-music discussion website today, and someone there was pushing people to write letters against the Superferry - wrong time and place, imo, no matter where you fall on the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Then you get today's S-B, with a headline of Revised bill could delay Superferry. Ai-ya.
                  Yes, that article can be found at this link for those want to read it.
                  The issue, as with so very many pieces of legislation, is that the wording of the bill wasn't thought through clearly and is therefore confusing and subject to interpretation.
                  Regarding that confusion, the article says:
                  "It was clear what the Senate intent was," Sen. Gary Hooser (D, Kauai) said."
                  The problem is interpreting that "intent". Why didn't they just word it properly in the first place instead of leaving it open to interpretation?
                  The article also includes:
                  "The only Democrat to vote against the Superferry bill yesterday in the Senate was former Senate President Robert Bunda, who said the objections to the private ferry were "based on politics."
                  "Singling out the Superferry for special impact statements is not the right thing to do," Bunda said.
                  "Republicans also objected to the bill. Sen. Sam Slom said the Superferry has "jumped through hoops" to comply with legislative criticism
                  ."

Political games, with the citizens and the SuperFerry itself as the victims of the 'game'. Pfffbbbtttt.

Comment

At least the State is owning up to some of the responsibility for this debacle by paying for the cost of the EIS that needs to be done anyway for the entire harbor in preparation for the Harbor Master Plan for the Year 2030, rather than saying that HSF has to bear the cost of doing one (and thereby getting rid of the perception that HSF was being singled out).

HSF should welcome this EIS because it will prove (or not) everything that they've claimed thus far, and since it is a general EIS for the entire harbor, it means that YB and NCL would have to provide mitigation for their parts of the harbor if the EIS found deficiencies.

I think after the initial rush because of its novelty, traffic on HSF will dwindle dramatically except on the weekends. Whether that will be enough to keep HSF afloat (pun intended) remains to be seen.

I thought it was humorous that one of the senators made a comment that if HSF does fall flat, the Feds will have to assume the liability for the failure and that the barges could be reused for other purposes, since the Federal government is the primary financing agency for this project, nevermind that the State is sinking $40 million in this project too.

Miulang

P.S. Speaking of EIS for Kahului Harbor, here is a story in today's Maui News about some of the proposals for modifying usage of the harbor for the year 2030. The HSF dock may get moved to the west side of the harbor, away from YB operations.
                    Last edited by Miulang; March 9, 2007, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                      I think after the initial rush because of its novelty, traffic on HSF will dwindle dramatically except on the weekends.
                      Why on earth would you think that?!??
                      In dozens and dozens of your posts in this thread, Miulang, you've written the "I guess" and "Maybe" and "Perhaps" suppositions in your never-ending attempt to make the SuperFerry look bad... and not a single one of your 'guesses' has yet to come true. You're like the little boy who cried "Wolf!" and, like that little boy, you've reached the point where your credibility simply can't be believed on this issue.
                      And you've been told before that you're pulling a "Chicken Little" with your endless "The sky is gonna fall! The sky is gonna fall!" Enough, already.
                      And why do you think there won't be passengers on weekdays, anyway? Do you think locals will only use it on weekends? Do you think tourists will only use it on weekends? (And if so, why?)
                      Why would traffic dwindle at all, much less "dramatically"?
                      Sheesh.

Comment

The issue, as with so very many pieces of legislation, is that the wording of the bill wasn't thought through clearly and is therefore confusing and subject to interpretation.
                        Regarding that confusion, the article says:
                        "It was clear what the Senate intent was," Sen. Gary Hooser (D, Kauai) said."
                        The problem is interpreting that "intent". Why didn't they just word it properly in the first place instead of leaving it open to interpretation?
                        And in case anyone hasn't figured out the obvious, it is those kind of intent/interpretation problems that practically guarantee lawsuits from one side or the other... or both.

Comment

And why do you think there won't be passengers on weekdays, anyway? Do you think locals will only use it on weekends? Do you think tourists will only use it on weekends? (And if so, why?)
                          My prediction will be traffic volumes that mimic what the current traffic volume patterns are for the interisland airlines. And it be interesting to see how much of the interisland airline pie the ferry can grab.

It also be interesting to see how business shipping patterns will be affected. Less business for YB? The same? What about for Aloha Cargo?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                            My prediction will be traffic volumes that mimic what the current traffic volume patterns are for the interisland airlines.
                            Now there's a prediction I agree with, based on simple logic and common sense.

And it be interesting to see how much of the interisland airline pie the ferry can grab. It also be interesting to see how business shipping patterns will be affected. Less business for YB? The same? What about for Aloha Cargo?
                            Gee, I wonder if the inter-island airlines and the shipping and barge companies had anything to do with trying to throw roadblocks at the SuperFerry? Or in financing those few who are trying these last-minute, underhanded, and political ploys?
                            Ya know, there may well be violations of the RICO Act there. Hmmmm...

Comment

Sheesh.
                              If passengers are coming over "just for the weekend", they'd have to leave on Friday a.m. for the Neighbor Islands in order to have a "full" weekend because of the schedule. Returning home, they'd have to leave Monday morning because of the way the runs are scheduled. It doesn't make economic sense for weekend passengers with cars. It makes sense for people wanting to visit for a week or more. I doubt many "tourists" will use it because one of the major reasons why the ferry will be popular is for taking cars to other islands. I seriously doubt many "tourists" (e.g. from the West Coast) would want to use the ferry to island hop. Takes too long and with the airfares being what they are, it'd be cheaper and take less time to fly between the islands and the currently proposed routes aren't very convenient. Also, most "tourists" according to the latest HCVB stats, now visit only one island, and the majority are going to the Neighbor Islands, now that there are direct flights from the West Coast.

So the majority of passengers will be locals who have cars who want to avoid paying for extra baggage on airplanes and who are staying for longer than a weekend. (Same thing happens on the Moloka'i Princess ferry...the locals who use it take HUGE boxes and coolers on board the ferry because there's no limit on baggage...saw it happening at K'kai Harbor. I was amazed at the stuff those passengers hauled aboard).

Since service hasn't started yet, Lika, EVERYTHING is up for conjecture. Even what you say is up for debate (including your stated "fact" that the majority of residents on all islands are for the Superferry). I'm just damned glad that the EIS is happening and that the State is paying for it, and not because of Superferry, but because of the serious concerns about delivery of critical shipments for the RESIDENTS of Maui. If you took the time to read today's story in the Maui News, you will understand why people of Maui are so concerned about how the space in that harbor is used: they get their fuel, their food, and other critical supplies plus the NCL tourists and soon HSF passengers, all through that one harbor. If any of the proposed plans for the Year 2030 is approved after the EIS, there will be significant disruption for all users of that harbor, and for quite a long while if parts of the harbor need to be dredged.

Miulang

P.S, It's actually BETTER for people to travel to the Neighbor Islands on the weekends because commuter traffic will be less impacted than during the week.
                              Last edited by Miulang; March 9, 2007, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                                If passengers are coming over "just for the weekend", they'd have to leave (...)
                                [/sigh] And do you have any idea how many folks here frequently take long weekends?
                                Further, almost everyone I know has family on the various outer islands, and they plan to use the SuperFerry a LOT to visit their families OFTEN. They do not plan to take cars, as their families will be picking them up and dropping them off, just as they will do when their families visit them.

I doubt many "tourists" will use it because one of the major reasons why the ferry will be popular is for taking cars to other islands.
                                Pure speculation. Again. And twice in one sentence, even.

I seriously doubt many "tourists" (e.g. from the West Coast) would want to use the ferry to island hop.
                                Pure speculation. Again.

Takes too long and with the airfares being what they are, it'd be cheaper and take less time to fly between the islands
                                Airfares will not be ridiculously low for long, unless of course an airline is intentionally looking to file bankruptcy. And those ridiculously low airfares also come with a lot of conditions that most people can't meet.

and the currently proposed routes aren't very convenient.
                                Gee, did someone suddenly build tens of airports on each island?

So the majority of passengers will be (...)
                                Pure speculation. AGAIN.

If you took the time to read today's story in the Maui News, you will understand why people of Maui are so concerned
                                How MANY people on Maui are concerned? Your statement implies that ALL the people of Maui are concerned, yet it could be just two people, or 20 people, or 200, or 2,000.
                                My signature line (below) is a proven fact -- A miniscule one-half of one percent of the total adult population of Hawai`i was concerned enough to sign the various petitions.
                                Proven facts trump biased speculation every... single... time.

Comment

Working...
                                X