• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leo Lakio
    replied
    Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by Star of Gladness View Post
    How long will it take to draft an EIS?
    The estimates range from six months to three years.

Leave a comment:

• Sprite
    replied

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    ...the EIS exemption seemed sketchy, and that it'd be naive of Hawaii Superferry to think it would be smooth sailing.
    I've stayed out of it all and I will admit that I'm ignorant of what went on in the background prior to HSF coming over. I can say, however, that I was left scratching my head when NOAA and/or UH people giving a talk at Hanauma Bay seemed all too calm about the danger to the endangered ocean species when they were questioned about the ferry.

I just remember being very puzzled at the lack of any real demonstrated concern. Now, listening to this stuff... this is sounding more and more like intentional sabotage. I certainly hope not, but it just looks so nasty. I'm not a supporter of HSF but I'm not against it either. I'm pretty neutral. My only concern has been for the humpbacks. Other than that, I could care less.

Now I'm just a little angry about it making us look, once again, like a really ugly place to do business. It's bad enough already. Hmmm... now I'm thinking... maybe one of you more enlightened people might know something more about what has puzzled me for some time now... what really happened with NCL? They were so happy to be here. Were they promised the moon and then, did they too, have the carpet pulled out from under them somewhere?

Is this more of the State's bureaucratic nonsense or is it more crab-in-the-bucket crap? I don't get it! Say yes or no at the beginning and get out of the way! Don't say yes and then later say, "Uh, try wait..." It's frustrating for business and embarrassing for us! We look so damn stupid! I'm just making myself angry. I'm not blaming the Supreme Court, they were presented with this stuff last minute -- I'm blaming the idiots that took all this time to SAY SOMETHING!

Beggging you news hounds here for enlightenment! I'm ignorant and opinionated -- this combo is bad for blood pressure. Anyone is welcome to squelch one or the other!

Leave a comment:

• joshuatree
    replied

Originally posted by mel View Post
    This decision on behalf of the environmental wackos, opponents and possibly competitors, certainly cements Hawaii's continuing reputation as one of the worst places in the U.S. to do business.
    Agreed, it's not the actual denial decision that makes Hawaii's business reputation stink, it's always the wishy-washy, flip-flopping. You give a company a green light, then a red when they spent all their resources getting ready. If Hawaii can't iron out a consistent business application approach, Hawaii will never be taken serious as a place to do business.

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

This decision on behalf of the environmental wackos, opponents and possibly competitors, certainly cements Hawaii's continuing reputation as one of the worst places in the U.S. to do business.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Anyone who believes the courts will ban the SuperFerry, within mere days of the startup, is delusional.
    We're all seeing pink elephants now!

Talk about a 'Hail Mary' pass. A late court motion, a fantastically swift response... seems as if the Hawaii Supreme Court was waiting for this one to come in. Unanimous, at that. Shocking, as noted, especially given the timing... but even as a Hawaii Superferry fan, I'm on record (as are others) here months ago as saying that the EIS exemption seemed sketchy, and that it'd be naive of Hawaii Superferry to think it would be smooth sailing.

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    What a shocking turn of events.
    So if they halt the SF, they'll likely to get sued. If they don't do the EIS, they'll get sued. I wonder if they can rush the EIS while the SF operates?

It will be interesting to watch.

Leave a comment:

• Star of Gladness
    replied

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    What a shocking turn of events. The Hawaii Supreme Court ruled that Judge Cardoza's ruling was incorrect. A EIS was required to be done before HSF
    started service. Talk about some big time lawsuits will be flying around now against the HDOT/ State of Hawaii. As I figure that HSF will not be able
    to commence service now.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...065423917.html
    Good thing I didnt buy tickets. Sick passengers, lawsuits, more $19 tickets... Too bad I really wanted to try it.

How long will it take to draft an EIS? They should call it an EI$$$$$$$$

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

What a shocking turn of events. The Hawaii Supreme Court ruled that Judge Cardoza's ruling was incorrect. A EIS was required to be done before HSF
    started service. Talk about some big time lawsuits will be flying around now against the HDOT/ State of Hawaii. As I figure that HSF will not be able
    to commence service now.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...065423917.html

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    Don't forget, for Kahului Harbor, there is also an EIS that was supposed to be published sometime around now (the June-July timeframe) for the general harbor (Kahului Harbor Year 2030 Master Plan).
    The operative words in your comment are "supposed to be". Given the way things usually work here, if the report is due now, we'll probably see it in 2011... if then.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    From what I understand, they are grandfathered in. They were doing their thing before EIS requirement came along. I don't know enough about the "discrimination" aspect to know if that would fly. Their plans is a significant increase over what the others are currently doing. But it's possible.

What I was talking about is a lawsuit about letting them get this far, permits, EIS waver and all, and then stopping them at the last minute. Government can't flip-flop like that without consequences.
    Don't forget, for Kahului Harbor, there is also an EIS that was supposed to be published sometime around now (the June-July timeframe) for the general harbor (Kahului Harbor Year 2030 Master Plan). The Year 2025 Master Plan for Kahului Harbor did not include HSF in its projections; the 2030 Plan is being drafted to include HSF. I think the current berth for HSF is only temporary; the 2030 Plan had better have something a little more permanent than a barge and a big tent and Porta-Potties for HSF at Kahului Harbor. The officials of HSF agreed that this EIS was necessary since it involves all harbor users and is not just focused on HSF.

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

If SuperFerry were blocked until there was an EIS, then that same requirement and blockage should be made to Young Brothers, Matson, NCL, et al, to prevent a discrimination suit by HSF.
    From what I understand, they are grandfathered in. They were doing their thing before EIS requirement came along. I don't know enough about the "discrimination" aspect to know if that would fly. Their plans is a significant increase over what the others are currently doing. But it's possible.

What I was talking about is a lawsuit about letting them get this far, permits, EIS waver and all, and then stopping them at the last minute. Government can't flip-flop like that without consequences.

Leave a comment:

• joshuatree
    replied

I'm curious -- on what grounds could that affect the court's decision? I don't see how NCL could even be brought into the case.
    Well, I figure some of the arguments for SF to be shutdown is harbor space. If NCL is looking to be leaving, that argument will be moot.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    Wonder if the possibility of NCL pulling out of Hawaii will influence the court's decision?
    I'm curious -- on what grounds could that affect the court's decision? I don't see how NCL could even be brought into the case.

Leave a comment:

• joshuatree
    replied

Wonder if the possibility of NCL pulling out of Hawaii will influence the court's decision?

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Indeed, GG.
    If SuperFerry were blocked until there was an EIS, then that same requirement and blockage should be made to Young Brothers, Matson, NCL, et al, to prevent a discrimination suit by HSF.
    And if YB, Matson and NCL are stopped from running, the result would be utter chaos, primarily for islands other than O`ahu, yeah?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X