car auctions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car auctions

I finally did a carfax history report on my car last night, and its says that the car was auctioned off from the original owner.

a) what does that mean? (how do you get a car auctioned off)
    b) is that good?

It still bothers me that a nice car would be sitting on the lot for a while.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: car auctions

Not a big deal. The dealer probably bought it back from the bank who repossessed it from the original owner. You want to know if the car is a salvaged vehicle. got into any major accidents that required extensive repair, ridiculous repair history, etc... which is available thru carfax.

Congratulations by the way on your new car.

Comment

A car may have also been a "lease turn-in," not necessarily a "re-po." The dealer from which a vehicle is leased or turned in to does not own the car; it's the leasing entity (bank, manufacturer's leasing company, etc.) that owns it.

In 2000, I bought my current wheels from Honda Windward, who had acquired it off the auction. The car was a lease turn-in by a doctor in town with a mere 36K miles rolled up on a 48-month lease. It was a better deal to me as a 1996 model than the 1997 with 47K miles and $1500 higher in price.

I wish you as good an good experience with your car as I did with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
        You want to know if the car is a salvaged vehicle. got into any major accidents that required extensive repair, ridiculous repair history, etc... which is available thru carfax.
        I got the carfax report, and its clean. I'm just wondering why would someone auction such a clean car.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
          I got the carfax report, and its clean. I'm just wondering why would someone auction such a clean car.
          The other scenario is that the car owner broke a major law and had his/her car impounded and auctioned off.

Also...uh...shouldn't you have done carfax before buying the car?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            Also...uh...shouldn't you have done carfax before buying the car?
            It was kinda in an emergency, and with my other experiences with buying a car a few months ago, I thought I'd have time to research the car since I didn't have a steady work history.

But I put the car through its paces, and its the last owner's loss.

Comment

You might want to find out what happened. If it was a repo, I'd certainly want to get the locks changed.

Comment

Dealerships will sometimes send to auction a car they have gained through the trade-in process. Dealers often limit how many "used cars" they want to put on their lot, and they auction off the excess. In these situations it does not mean that there is anything wrong with the car, it is just that the dealer took in the car as a trade-in, in order to sell a new car to a customer.

In such cases, would they bother to change the traded-in auto to the dealership's name on the title/registration, or just leave it under the original owner's name? If they can keep it under the original owner's name, that might offer another possibility about why your car was auctioned by the "original owner".

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  You might want to find out what happened. If it was a repo, I'd certainly want to get the locks changed.
                  Thanks for giving me this good news.

Actually, I have the first owner's addresses and names in the manual, so I'll be planning on how to contact them w/out sounding strange.

Comment

Why? What are you gonna ask them?
                    Actually, I have the first owner's addresses and names in the manual, so I'll be planning on how to contact them w/out sounding strange.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                      Why? What are you gonna ask them?
                      why they'd sell the car.

Comment

why they'd sell the car.
                        You may get a cooperative owner or you may get someone peeved at being contacted regarding former property. If the owner sold it, turned it back to the dealer, got repo'ed, etc, as far as they are concerned, they got rid of that car and whoever after picks it up is their business. Besides, have you tried asking the dealer why it was in an auction since they are the actual "seller" of this car?

Comment

why they'd sell the car.
                          You can look the seller of a used car straight in the eye and ask why they are selling the car, and they aren't going to tell you the truth. No way would someone do it on the phone, either. You are wasting your time going down that road.

Comment

Thanks for giving me this good news.
                            Better now then later.

It's probably rare that a former owner steals a car, but that's not to say it never happens.

A little paranoia is sometimes a good thing. It's helps you plan.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                              Better now then later.

It's probably rare that a former owner steals a car, but that's not to say it never happens.

A little paranoia is sometimes a good thing. It's helps you plan.
                              Yeah but is it feasible changing the locks? Cuz that means changing the ignition and trunk lock too. I think he's safe with a plate change.

Comment

Working...
                              X