No announcement yet.

How can we stop pedestrian accidents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How can we stop pedestrian accidents?

The news reported this evening that during 2005 Hawaii was #4 in the nation for pedestrian deaths. I'm all for pedestrian overpasses (with bus stops next to them) but we'll sure need a lot of 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      True, but won't you incur the wrath of those who (a) don't want to budget the money for them, and/or (b) won't like how they affect the beautiful views for which Hawai`i is famed?
      You're right, budget and those with the silly argument of views will probably be a huge obstacle. Though I think when you have X number of pedestrian fatalities on a given roadway, that should really supersede arguments of views and cost. Besides, some pedestrian overpasses in places like Europe are downright cool looking and artistic. I bet you there are plenty of up and coming architects willing to put their name on a design.

Underpasses can also be done although I tend to think those would invite unwanted activities at night.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        What about plain old pedestrian overpasses? Seems like a simple yet effective solution. You don't have pedestrians attempting to cross freeways. If a stretch of road is THAT dangerous, it's time to separate the vehicular traffic from the foot traffic.
        We have one out here in Hawaii Kai, our family uses it when we walk the girls to school on ocasion. But you'd be surprised at all of the adults who perhaps just got of the bus or are leaving Koko Marina Shopping Center who don't use it. They run like heck across Kalanianaole Hwy. This particular one is all ramp, no steps, so I like the small challenge it provides my heart. Being careful is too much trouble for some people.

I have a column coming out next week about pedestrian safety and it will be on the site all month, just like they always are.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
          You're right, budget and those with the silly argument of views will probably be a huge obstacle.[...]
          Altho' off topic for this thread, this mentality prevails at my condo building. There's an ugly, rusted chainlink fence on the beach side property line. On the property side of that fence is a hedge that is kept trimmed about 18" to 24" below the top of the fence at the request of the ground floor units owners. For anyone walking on the public beach side of the fence, that fence is very easy to jump and gain access to the property. I've recommended to the Board that the hedge be allowed to grow and envelope the fence to help discourage trespassing and potential lawsuits against the condo association by people getting injured. The view beat out the liability factor!

Comment

Here is a solution I have been thinking of last night. All vehicles should be equipped with sensors to detect pedestrians, other vehicles, and other obstacles. When the sensor detects pedestrians, other vehicles, or other obstacles, the vehicle would stop automatically. The driver would not have to manually slam on the brakes to stop the vehicle. It would be impossible for a**hole drivers to kill or injure other people.

Until all vehicles are equipped with stop sensors, a**hole drivers should have their licenses revoked and the driver's license test should be modified to determine if the potential driver is likely to be a good driver or a bad driver. One way to modify the test would be to include oral questions regarding what prospective drivers would do when they see pedestrians crossing the street. The examiner would take into account the potential driver's tone of voice, facial expressions, and verbal answers to judge whether the prospective driver is in a position to look out for pedestrians. Weeding out the bad drivers this way would eliminate pedestrian accidents.

Comment

Originally posted by IBadget View Post
              Here is a solution I have been thinking of last night. All vehicles should be equipped with sensors to detect pedestrians, other vehicles, and other obstacles. When the sensor detects pedestrians, other vehicles, or other obstacles, the vehicle would stop automatically. The driver would not have to manually slam on the brakes to stop the vehicle. It would be impossible for a**hole drivers to kill or injure other people.
              But what if the pedestrian around the car is a carjacker? Then how would the driver get out of that situation? Or what if it's an object like tumbleweed blowing across the roadway. Would the car automatically slam its brakes?

Comment

Sadly, another Elderly pedestrian got hit this morning.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by IBadget View Post
                  Here is a solution I have been thinking of last night. All vehicles should be equipped with sensors to detect pedestrians, other vehicles, and other obstacles. When the sensor detects pedestrians, other vehicles, or other obstacles, the vehicle would stop automatically. The driver would not have to manually slam on the brakes to stop the vehicle.
                  Wow.
                  If you think the roadways are like parking lots during rush hour now, imagine if this system were in place.

An empty styrofoam cooler blows across the Pali Highway; the sensor slams on a car's brakes. The sensor of the car behind it does the same when it senses a stopped car in front of it, and so on, and so on...

That's assuming EVERY car has been retroactively equipped with this system (paid for by who?)

And of course, that scenario would only happen on the days when it is windy over the Pali.

Comment

In The Advertiser 5:08 a.m. http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...980654127.html

Pedestrian accident reported at Liliha and N. Kuakini

"Police, firefighers and city paramedics have been sent to the corner of Liliha and North Kuakini streets to check of a report that a pedestrian was hit by a car."

Again.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

My .02 is featured in my column this month in the East Oahu Sun; see the link below. It's a little long, but I get paid by the word, and it might fill the gas tank. Why couldn't I love Web design? Finance? Medicine?
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Once again, like many times before you wrote juss like it should be told...the TRUTH!!!!!

BRAVO!!!

Lynn

Comment

I must admit that I have not read through this thread, however (howevah) I read the title and have an answer. Tell everyone you know to tell everyone they know to drive a little more careful. Those right on reds and crosswalks we sometimes ignore should move to the forefront. I just moved back to the Mainland and am disappointed with the way people drive here - no concern for anyone else. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                            I must admit that I have not read through this thread, however (howevah) I read the title and have an answer. Tell everyone you know to tell everyone they know to drive a little more careful. Those right on reds and crosswalks we sometimes ignore should move to the forefront. I just moved back to the Mainland and am disappointed with the way people drive here - no concern for anyone else. . . .
                            Well, I renewed this thread because I was hoping people would read my column that's provided in the link below. Thanks for jumping in.
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Looks like they're going undercover

Police are expanding an ongoing initiative to make street crossings safer, sending in less-conspicuous plainclothes officers to cite pedestrians and motorists who violate road rules.

"We want people to change their behavior, not just change when a policeman is around," said Lt. Jerry Wojcik, coordinator of the Honolulu Police Department's pedestrian safety campaign task force. "Pedestrians should be looking at traffic first, not for a policeman."

The nonuniformed officers will be assigned to different locations in Honolulu as soon as today, he said.
                              Let the fun begin!
                              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                              X