Why did you choose your vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did you choose your vehicle?

Basic topic question: why did you choose your vehicle?

I choose my Mazda3 because it was half sports car, half cargo carrier, and half people carrier.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: why did you choose your vehicle?

Ummm, Adrian? Methinks you'd best refigure your math!

I don't choose my cars. I let my mechanic do that!

Comment

My daughter chose Leimomi foa me!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

PRICE....

I don't like having a car payment, so I buy used ones for cheap. My current 1987 GMC pickup cost me $2200....yea, I have to do repairs throughout the year, but I don't have a car payment, and insurance is low too.

New Cars depreciate, what ?... $10-15 % the minute you drive them off the lot, so rather than invest in something that loses value, I try to buy used and cheap. That being said, my car was CLEAN when I bought it. I had to replace the tranny a few years after, but that will keep it running for a long time. Change the oil every 2500 miles, and it stays running pretty good.

I'm not sure if it's the best way to do things, but it works for me. I think I'm in the minority in that I don't really care too much about having some shiny, cool new car...at least in LA, anyway.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
          PRICE....[...]
          I completely agree...buy used, buy wise, buy clean and let the original owner take the initial depreciation hit! Oh, and I agree with your oil change routine, too! I'm another one who'd rather not have a car payment. I end up with really nice, used cars (thanks to my mechanic!) but, because of the age, they don't have all the electronic bells and whistles. I wouldn't know what to do with 'em anyway!!! Oh wait...I take that back. My current car has an in-dash, 6...yes SIX...cassette tape deck! How cool is that! It didn't work when I bought the now 12 year old car last year and I have no plans to fix it as the sound system also has an input jack which plays host to my iPod! It's also the first 1990s era car I've owned!

Thanks to "traffic Tuesday" last Sept., my car received a new radiator the next day!

Comment

Re: Why did you choose your vehicle?

I chose our small camper because we had always dreamed of having one. So...when a little windfall came, I went to EBay for the only time in my life, and it worked for me!
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              I completely agree...buy used, buy wise, buy clean and let the original owner take the initial depreciation hit! Oh, and I agree with your oil change routine, too! I'm another one who'd rather not have a car payment. I end up with really nice, used cars (thanks to my mechanic!) but, because of the age, they don't have all the electronic bells and whistles. I wouldn't know what to do with 'em anyway!!! Oh wait...I take that back. My current car has an in-dash, 6...yes SIX...cassette tape deck! How cool is that! It didn't work when I bought the now 12 year old car last year and I have no plans to fix it as the sound system also has an input jack which plays host to my iPod! It's also the first 1990s era car I've owned!

Thanks to "traffic Tuesday" last Sept., my car received a new radiator the next day!
              6 cassette tape deck?!? Wow, I've never heard of that before. May I ask why model of car is it?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                6 cassette tape deck?!? Wow, I've never heard of that before. May I ask why model of car is it?
                I'm pretty sure she meant cd deck...right?

I like to buy "Gems" of a deal. I picked up my 1989 BMW 635Csi about four years ago from a really interesting fellow who loved this baby but his doctor told him he had to get rid of it before it takes out his back. He wouldn't sell it to anybody but another BMW fanatic.

Along comes me...I've been eyeing this car for over a year as it would pass and occasionally park near The Gas Company (where I worked daily). When I saw it for sale in the classifieds for only $7,000 I called and he told me I was the third person who was serious enough to want to look at it.

I told him everything I knew just by knowing what car he had about the car he was selling. Yeah I was just as anal as he was about this car and he found the right home for his baby.

The car was in such mint condition people thought it was a new car. It already came with improvements such as bigger rims, waayyyy better tires (ZR rated Bridestone RE93's), Bilstein shocks, stainless exhaust, upgraded ECU chip, Alpine sound system.

The car was maintained dilligently and was in showroom new condition...for only $7,000. All I had to add was an alarm system and tint (all done at Audio Audio).
                Attached Files
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

At one point I had 4 vehicles. All toys, more or less. Honda Del Sol, 1954 Ford Coupe, 94 Chevy Blazer, 1976 Lincoln Continental Cartier Town Coupe(the on in my profile here on HT). With the move to Oahu approaching I have gotten rid of everything but the Lincoln.

When we inevitably return to the conus, I see a Honda in my future, or a cruiser type bike. I would LOVE one of those Toyota FJ Cruisers as well, but that will wait.

My deciding factors will be mpg, price/value, and durability. I think my days of Classic cars are done. TOO damn pricey to fill and feed big block motors.
                  flickr

An email from God:
                  To: People of Earth
                  Date: 9/04/2007
                  Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    I'm pretty sure she meant cd deck...right?[...]
                    Wrong! That's why I italicized "cassette tape"!!! It's an aftermarket sound system so the car make is irrelevant! I never knew 'til last year that a multi cassette tape deck even existed! It's now used as a note holder!

Comment

I bought my 2005 Ford Ranger because my brother bought a 2003 Ford Ranger XLT.
                      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Oh wait...I take that back. My current car has an in-dash, 6...yes SIX...cassette tape deck! How cool is that!
                        Six Cassette decks....Jeez, that's like, "what's the point?" times 6...
                        Weird....that must've been way expensive back in the day. Now with your iPod...it's REALLY a "what's the point?" item....
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Wrong! That's why I italicized "cassette tape"!!! It's an aftermarket sound system so the car make is irrelevant! I never knew 'til last year that a multi cassette tape deck even existed! It's now used as a note holder!
                          Well I knew multi cassette decks existed for home systems but in a car, that's kinda hilarious. Imagine the amount of console space taken up.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                            Six Cassette decks....Jeez, that's like, "what's the point?" times 6...
                            Weird....that must've been way expensive back in the day. Now with your iPod...it's REALLY a "what's the point?" item....
                            That's why I saw no need to get it fixed! I just think of it as 6 paper clips that'll hold an array of notes...dry cleaning claim check, to do list, gas up reminder...yada, yada!!!
                            Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                            Well I knew multi cassette decks existed for home systems but in a car, that's kinda hilarious. Imagine the amount of console space taken up.
                            It's not a whole bunch of space but, still, I'd rather have it be a covered compartment for whatever MORE cr@p I could manage to store in my car!

Comment

Honda Odyssey minivan: reviews/ratings by Consumer Reports, car magazines; price; features (fold-down hideaway third-row seat, individually removable second-row seats, dual-zone AC); engine (smooth power delivery); pleasant dealer experience; desired color in stock.

Acura RL: safety features (ABS, airbags); creature comforts (leather seats, climate-control AC, keyless remote, CD-changer w/cassette deck); low mileage (car was pre-owned, only 36K miles); warranty still in effect (three years, 64K miles remaining on 7 yr./100K extended warranty); four near-new tires (lasted 52K miles); price was right (1/2 of the original MSRP price); right color.

I now have 134K miles on the RL after over 6-1/2 years of effortless and mostly trouble-free driving. I may spring for some new wheels sometime in the future, but not right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X