X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii's Interisland Air War - Chapter 4

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Unless you can beat them at their own game - or use it as an excuse to beat up the unions to get better rates.
    Now thats what they should do! Blame everything on Mesa and go bust the unions! Oh wait a minute. They are already doing that!

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      I would surmise the three ain't doing so hot but Mesa's in the best shape out of all of them with the cash reserves. But I am starting to doubt the study. First of all, it's paid for by AQ, can we 100% say the report is neutral? Second, every anti-go! bashes Mesa for being cheap on labor. So wouldn't it be logical to assume out of the three, go! has the lowest labor costs?
      No. Mesa actually has the HIGHEST pilot costs of all three airlines in Hawaii. Way higher than Hawaiian or Aloha.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        So which do you think it will be for the incumbents?
        Both.

(Text added to keep HT happy)

Comment

This weekend may be a good time to monitor the websites of all our interisland airlines. With Superferry having a $5 fare with travel from Sunday to Sept. 5, I am sure none of the airlines will want to be left out of the game. As of this posting, Go! and Hawaiian are both advertising $19 one-way specials Aug. 27 to 30. Who will be the first to lower their fare to match HawaiiSuperferry?

Go! Are you watching?

For now, someone is actually undercutting Go! Competition is good.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

This most recent news from Hawaiian is interesting: besides being chosen by the Oakland Raiders to be the carrier that flies the team to its out of town games, Hawaiian has also been chosen as the official charter airline for the Seattle Seahawks.

And then today, they announced that they will be flying nonstop from Honolulu to Manila at least 4x per week, beginning next March.

I think Hawaiian is really diversifying its routes to try to stay afloat.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
              This most recent news from Hawaiian is interesting: besides being chosen by the Oakland Raiders to be the carrier that flies the team to its out of town games, Hawaiian has also been chosen as the official charter airline for the Seattle Seahawks.

And then today, they announced that they will be flying nonstop from Honolulu to Manila at least 4x per week, beginning next March.

I think Hawaiian is really diversifying its routes to try to stay afloat.

Miulang
              Wait a minute. Hawaiian can fly to and from the Philippines, but cannot fly to and from Moloka'i?

*flips his bird at Hawaiian*
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                Wait a minute. Hawaiian can fly to and from the Philippines, but cannot fly to and from Moloka'i?

*flips his bird at Hawaiian*
                It has to do with the landing conditions and the cost to fly there more than anything at MKK, Random. Don't get all huhu, it's about business, not about turning their backs on the people of Moloka'i. They have some spare 767's which would never be able to land at MKK.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                  It has to do with the landing conditions and the cost to fly there more than anything at MKK, Random. Don't get all huhu, it's about business, not about turning their backs on the people of Moloka'i. They have some spare 767's which would never be able to land at MKK.

Miulang

Well this all goes back to using the wrong equipment in the interisland market. If they were using props, MKK would be a fit. I think HA used to fly to MKK when they had props. I wouldn't blame Random's complaint though, for an airline that is the defacto state airline, not serving all of your own state's airports is rather ironic.

Comment

Until they pulled out of the Molokai market a few years ago, Hawaiian used to fly their DC-9s into MKK.

Click here to see 4 photos of HAL DC-9s taken at Molokai.

I think prior to that when Hawaiian Air used to have their Dash 7's, they flew that into MKK.

The runways at MKK are too short to accommodate a 767... 717 likely. I think it was a cost thing for HAL to withdraw from both Molokai and Lanai.
                    Last edited by mel; August 28, 2007, 06:23 AM. Reason: fix typo
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I loved flying on Hawaiian to Molokai on their DC-9s. The huge planes looked so out of place at that tiny airport. The airplane would touch down and slam on the brakes, but still shoot way past the terminal and have to backtrack almost the whole way on the same runway to get to it.

Meanwhile, given the silly posts about aircraft manufacturers and industry problems and their presupposed impact on a recent addition to the interisland market, I found it amusing that the next local airline facing emergency inspections was Aloha.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                        Until they pulled out of the Molokai market a few years ago, Hawaiian used to fly their DC-9s into MKK.

Click here to see 4 photos of HAL DC-9s taken at Molokai.

I think prior to that when Hawaiian Air used to have their Dash 7's, they flew that into MKK.

The runways at MKK are too short to accommodate a 767... 717 likely. I think it was a cost thing for HAL to withdraw from both Molokai and Lanai.
                        Yes, I used to ride on the DC-9 when they stopped using their Dash 7, which despite its problem is more widely comfortable than Island Air's Dash 8 interior. Yes, I know the big honkin' jet can't land if winds are blowing too strong at the Ho'olehua Airport (something that a turboprop can overcome).

Island Air got it right (though seating is too cozy for kanaka-size). Mahalo Air got it right (even when Hawaiian and Aloha double-team to shut it down).

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                          I loved flying on Hawaiian to Molokai on their DC-9s. The huge planes looked so out of place at that tiny airport. The airplane would touch down and slam on the brakes, but still shoot way past the terminal and have to backtrack almost the whole way on the same runway to get to it.
                          That's nothing. One time, we landed on Moloka'i and the jet's front wheel stopped off the paved runway. They had to tow it to the terminal (can't put the jet on reverse gear by itself).

Comment

Long ago Hawaiian Airlines used to fly into Waimea-Kohala (MUE) [Kamuela] airport with their DC-9s and earlier model prop planes. Prop plane landings were smooth. Landing with the DC-9 was exactly as you describe above. The moment the plane hit the runway, the engines were thrown in full reverse thrust with the plane rattling all the way to the end of the runway. Everyone knows you're near the end of the runway when the big white lines near the end show up and you hope the plane is not going to slide on the grass. Then like Molokai, the long taxiway back to the terminal.

I used to fly on Hawaiian to MUE all of the time from when I was a kid to about 1980 when service was discontinued.
                            Last edited by mel; August 29, 2007, 04:36 AM. Reason: add link
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Meanwhile, given the silly posts about aircraft manufacturers and industry problems and their presupposed impact on a recent addition to the interisland market, I found it amusing that the next local airline facing emergency inspections was Aloha.
                              Mesa's lining the Star Bulletins pockets with advertising dollars are still paying dividends apparently. Take this FACT for instance. ATA airline is also affected by the same FAA emergency inspections.

ATA operates MORE 737NG flights to Hawaii every day than Aloha! Why was Aloha singled out then? Mesa's money is apparently still very good at the Star Bulletin.

Continental, Alaska (soon) and Canadaian Westjet also operate the same airplane to Hawaii. Why werent they mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by Star of Gladness View Post
                                Mesa's lining the Star Bulletins pockets with advertising dollars are still paying dividends apparently. Take this FACT for instance. ATA airline is also affected by the same FAA emergency inspections.

ATA operates MORE 737NG flights to Hawaii every day than Aloha! Why was Aloha singled out then? Mesa's money is apparently still very good at the Star Bulletin.

Continental, Alaska (soon) and Canadaian Westjet also operate the same airplane to Hawaii. Why werent they mentioned?
                                I know you don't like go! or Mesa but this is where your creditability, what little of it, is tarnished and expended. What does the 737 NG inspections mandated by the FAA have anything to do with Mesa? This stems back to the China Airlines 737-800 fire a few weeks back where a loose bolt in the wing punctured a fuel tank causing the fire. How is it singling out Aloha when the Star Bulletin is a local paper which focuses primarily on local news and Aloha is a local carrier, the only local carrier that operates the 737? ATA is not a local airline. Neither is Continental, Alaska, or Westjet. By the way, the link PZ included is KITV, not Star Bulletin. And it does mention beyond Aloha.

The emergency inspections apply to one of the most popular models of commercial planes in the country flown by American, Continental, Delta, Southwest and Alaska airlines and Hawaii's own Aloha Airlines.

Comment

Working...
                                X