X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 5

Actual hull shot of a Superferry

Actual shot of a Sperm whale almost split into two by a high speed ferry. Those twin hulls are like hot knives through butter.

Comment

I found myself in the unusual position of agreeing with pretty much everything Rep. Abercrombie said when he was on the Mike Buck show yesterday afternoon. He expressed genuine disgust at the behavior of the protesters and accused them of moving beyond legitimate protest to thuggish intimidation tactics over what is essentially a policy matter. He was also expressed dismay at the inability of the Coast Guard and the Kauai police to manage the situation. He stated that the protesters' tactics of threatening and terrorizing ferry passengers was completely wrong. He went on to say that there is no other island chain in the world that is not served by some sort of ferry service.

And, for SOG, posting a photo of a sperm whale killed by a ferry is supposed to make me feel bad about supporting transportation choice? Maybe it'll work on some, but not me. It just demonstrates that you're using emotion as a red herring to distract from the real issue of whether there is a legitimate right for the ferry to operate in Hawaii.

Comment

NOAA report 2004

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdfs/shi...e/lwssdata.pdf

Page 4 - 17.1% whale strikes by the Navy, 14.9% by cargo ships, 14.2% by whale watching boats, 12.7% by cruise ships, 11.9% by ferries, 6.7% by the coast guard, 6% by tankers, 5.2% by recreational boats, 5.2% by steamships, 3% by fishing vessels, 0.75% each for dredge boat, research vessel, pilot boat, and whaling catcher boat.

So SOG, why aren't you going after the bigger culprits, the Navy, Matson, NCL, or those whale watching boats from Maui?

Comment

Ever see a motor-vehicle-vs.-pedestrian trauma patient, nearly split in half by an SUV? I have. Quite nasty.

Therefore, SUV's should be banned.

In 2006 a humpback whale calf was run over and presumed killed by (drum roll here please) a PACIFIC WHALE FOUNDATION whale-watching boat in waters off Maui.

Shame on them. They should have immediately ceased operation of all of their money-making whale-watching tours.

Capitalist hypocrites.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            NOAA report 2004

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdfs/shi...e/lwssdata.pdf

Page 4 - 17.1% whale strikes by the Navy, 14.9% by cargo ships, 14.2% by whale watching boats, 12.7% by cruise ships, 11.9% by ferries, 6.7% by the coast guard, 6% by tankers, 5.2% by recreational boats, 5.2% by steamships, 3% by fishing vessels, 0.75% each for dredge boat, research vessel, pilot boat, and whaling catcher boat.

So SOG, why aren't you going after the bigger culprits, the Navy, Matson, NCL, or those whale watching boats from Maui?
            Because the issue is not whale strikes. The issue is the influx of invaders from the Dark and Evil Island Of Oahu.
            Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; August 30, 2007, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Those are the slow whales, it's called "thinning the herd."
              You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Wow, I'll have to listen to Mike Buck more! I am pleasantly surprised that Abercrombie had enough common sense to be on the fair and just side of this issue. Thanks for mentioning this.
                Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Talk about a disgusting and overly sensational letter to the editor about HSF Kauai service being disrupted here in the SB.
                  Comparing the HSF to AIDS is so wrong.
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                    Comparing the HSF to AIDS is so wrong.
                    Have to agree with you there, Aaron. Just like someone comparing anti-smoking campaigns to the Holocaust (in another thread), there is such a thing as stretching a point much too far. This kind of behavior does more harm than good to the protester's cause, and it muddies the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Have to agree with you there, Aaron. Just like someone comparing anti-smoking campaigns to the Holocaust (in another thread), there is such a thing as stretching a point much too far. This kind of behavior does more harm than good to the protester's cause, and it muddies the issue.
                      I think it also serves to illustrate the intelligence level of some of the instigators of the protest. For the author to think that this was hard-hitting commentary worthy of publication speaks volumes.

Comment

From the Maui News today: why Judge Cardoza ruled the way he did to deny HSF and DOT's petition to remove the TRO.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

SuperFerry CEO Garibaldi on the Advertiser Hot Seat tomorrow.

Idiots have already tried to poison the discussion over there. Many thoughtful pro-ferry comments to counter, however!

http://blogs.honoluluadvertiser.com/...&pb=1#comments

Have fun!

Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Instead of reposting my thoughts on all today's HSF events...here is the link to my blog posting about about all this. It seems the score is 2- the fringe element 0- Hawaii Superferry.
                            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Well I'm a noob here, and too lazy to read every single post in the various threads on this issue, but I really have to vent...
                              These protesters are nothing more than another form of terrorist. Terrorists you say? The usual definition: "One who utilizes the systematic use of violence and intimidation to achieve political objectives, while disguised as a civilian non-combatant." Sounds pretty spot on to me...
                              Speaking of dead whales earlier in this thread, my idea this morning while driving to work and hearing about the latest setbacks in this state-wide embarrassing issue making us look like hillbilly yokels, uncivilized savages, redneck narrow-minds... is this: query the local fishermen if anyone has seen a floating whale carcass, preferably one being fed upon by a school of large hungry tiger sharks. Someone ties a rope to it and drags it to inside the harbor at issue. See if that clears the water more efficiently than the Coast Guard. I would also be willing to chip in some money to buy some carcasses and vats of blood from any nearby butcher shops, slaughterhouses, seafood processors. When the lead fanatic says "Superferry inbound! Everyone in the water!" the boat loaded with all the scraps and dripping vat of blood heads out too. A few nice blood trails to well outside the harbor in advance might be useful too. Anyone have a boat they are willing to volunteer for this use? Hehe, so if they keep ducking underwater trying to avoid the CG, instead of trying to hook him, just start chucking fish scraps at him and some super-soakers loaded with blood...
                              And what the hell, an EA or EIS for this small vessel, for perspective take a look at the pic on the first page of this thread to see how small this vessel is compared to say a cruise ship. The protesters must be car and gear rental agents. Congestion, too many cars, hazard to marine life? Hollow arguements, these people must have another agenda. Or sadly, they are mindless minions just knee-jerking to some craze, seeking fleeting glory, empowerment, spotlight in otherwise sad lives. The whole thing is pathetic, embarassing, and infuriating all at the same time.
                              Last edited by WindwardGamer; August 30, 2007, 03:37 PM.

Comment

HSF is not planning to fold its tents and leave town because of this little hiccup in service:

With the $85 million Alakai ferry moored at Honolulu Harbor's Pier 19, the suspension of the Hawaii Superferry's business is creating a heavy financial toll on the company. But Superferry executives say they can withstand the crisis.

"We have the financial wherewithal to weather this storm," said Tig Krekel, a member of the Superferry board and vice chairman of New York-based private equity firm J.F. Lehman and Co., the largest Superferry investor..."
                                Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X