X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 5

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Chances are that he had other commitments that took prioity over a simple tour of a vessel he'd no doubt already been on. But did you think about contacting his office and asking them before you jumped to your negative conclusion?
    From the Maui News. Aug. 20:

State Sen. Shan Tsutsui of Wailuku called for an environmental impact statement more than a year ago, hoping that concerns about invasive species and inspection of plants would be satisfied by the Superferry. Legislation to require an EIS failed this past session.

"Obviously, we’re still concerned," he said Sunday. "At this point, it’s in the hands of the Department of Transportation."

He said none of the state’s senators, including him, was able to visit the Superferry this weekend at the Kahului Harbor. Many of the approximately 4,000 residents – including family and friends of Superferry employees – gave rave reviews for the vessel during Saturday’s open house.

Central Maui’s state Rep. Joe Souki, who did not believe an EIS was necessary, also did not visit the Superferry.

"I hope it works well for Maui," he said.

But Souki still has some doubts. With roundtrip interisland airfares priced below $100, and the Superferry ticket prices costing more, Souki said he’s not sure how the ferry will work out.

"It can be a positive effect," he said. "We’ll just have to see."
    Uncle Joe is doing the politically expedient thing: hedging his bets.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      You cited the Maui News story. Seems that both sides concluded they couldn't work with each other. And it would have been a deal between HSF and the enviro groups, without the State DOT involved in any way. Hall's primary objection was that the content of the limited EA that HSF was proposing was less than what Chapter 343 required by law, and that HSF was paying for it (not that I agree with Hall, but I think he feared there would be bias in it if it was paid for by HSF).

And if you were able to open that pdf from today's Advetiser with the Supreme Court's final ruling in it, they determined that an EIS was required now because DOT misinterpreted Chapter 343 and neglected to consider how that seemingly minor addition of barges, tents and porta potties in the harbors might have significant effects on a fragile environment. If it was me, I would weigh more heavily the impact on the other harbor users and their facilities and ability to use Kahului and Nawiliwili more than the whales and invasive species, but the Supreme Court ruled that the enviro groups had standing because they believed the whales and invasive species introduction would cause harm to the environment on the routes HSF would traverse.

I have a feeling there are going to be changes in Chapter 343 in the next legislature.

Miulang
      The HSF offer included a 30 day timeframe to have the public review the EA so Hall had nothing to lose, well maybe his paycheck because lawyers do make their money by time billed. At this point, neither side is a boy scout. Critics of HSF say they were arrogant but after reading this, I think the opposition was equally arrogant.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
        State Sen. Shan Tsutsui of Wailuku called for an environmental impact statement more than a year ago, hoping that concerns about invasive species and inspection of plants would be satisfied by the Superferry. Legislation to require an EIS failed this past session.
        "Obviously, we’re still concerned," he said Sunday. "At this point, it’s in the hands of the Department of Transportation."
        He said none of the state’s senators, including him, was able to visit the Superferry this weekend at the Kahului Harbor. Many of the approximately 4,000 residents – including family and friends of Superferry employees – gave rave reviews for the vessel during Saturday’s open house.
        Central Maui’s state Rep. Joe Souki, who did not believe an EIS was necessary, also did not visit the Superferry.
        "I hope it works well for Maui," he said.
        But Souki still has some doubts. With roundtrip interisland airfares priced below $100, and the Superferry ticket prices costing more, Souki said he’s not sure how the ferry will work out.
        "It can be a positive effect," he said. "We’ll just have to see."

Uncle Joe is doing the politically expedient thing: hedging his bets.
        Why are you changing the subject? Your quote here has nothing whatsoever to do with Souki not going on that one tour, which is my question that you were answering avoiding.
        THIS is what I had said:
        Chances are that he had other commitments that took prioity over a simple tour of a vessel he'd no doubt already been on. But did you think about contacting his office and asking them before you jumped to your negative conclusion?

And you mistakenly overlooked totally ignored this other part of my post:
        Get real. Do the math. Your 6,000 signatories are less than 10% of the population of Kaua`i. Ergo, over 90% of the population of Kaua`i did NOT sign the petition.
        Why on earth would the Governor "listen" to your tiny minority???

Want to try again to answer those two items, or can we just expect you to change the subject again?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
          By the time Kamehameha finally assembled a force sufficient for a battle, the Kauai chief simply negotiated to become a part of the Kingdom of Hawaii and in return, he remained the leader on Kauai. Think vassal state. So to some Kauaians, they regard as never being conquered.
          Actually, Kaumualii realized he had a choice: Get slaughtered or surrender in advance. Kamehameha suffered a lot of setbacks after taking Oahu, from bad weather to rampant disease among his ranks. But he was determined to repeatedly rebuild his army and conquer the entire island chain.

Kamehameha also enlisted the help of western technology. In addition to the usual spears and clubs he had firearms.

Despite years of resistance, and seeing how Kamehameha swept across all the other islands, Kaumualii knew that Kauai didn't stand a chance against hardened warriors with vastly superior weapons.

Kauai was conquered, not on the battlefield, but on paper. Smart move.

Comment

• Americanization, HI , Re: Hawaii Superferry - Ch. 5

---craigwatanabe= "... the general feeling is one of concern of what I have said before regarding the "Honolululization" of the neighbor islands. ...

When I made the decision to make the Big Island my permanent home a few months ago after waffling back and forth about whether to go back to Honolulu or not, I fully realized what it meant to be someone from other than Oahu where the center of life is for the state of Hawaii.

... I was from Honolulu I never fully realized how deep this emotional scar ran because I was never part of them. Now I am.

You have to fully remove yourself from Honolulu and choose to permanently make the outer islands your home to truly understand what people from the neighbor islands have been feeling all their lives...

The only thing left that keeps the outer islands unique...where Oahu cannot even come close to being, is it's physical isolation from Oahu.

... Honolulu has become to the rest of the State of Hawaii much like America has become to the rest of the World...imposing.

So when you couple that fear with the car (extended ego) ...

... This is the genuine fear running around the neighbor islands. Not to say that all neighbor islanders feel that way or that all from Honolulu are that way, but in a general way that is the fear on the streets. Take the car out of the loop and suddenly the fear is gone. Stupid as it sounds but it is. Just look at what those fearing the SF is focusing on...an environmental impact assessment of how THE CAR will bring in invasive species, how THE CAR will cause traffic woes when the SF docks.

BUT where's the argument about the massive amount of cars when they LEAVE the outer islands? I haven't heard anyone complain about the traffic woes regarding departures.

I repeat...it's all about Oahu cars and nothing else. ...The difference between Go and SF is what they're transporting and from where...Oahu cars.

BUT it's the Super Ferry bringing more Honolulu cars closer to the neighbor islands...that is the fear. We see the traffic reports on all the morning TV news broadcasts just like you do on Oahu. Is that what we want here on the neighbor islands? I know it won't be that bad but everytime we on the neighbor islands experience any level of gridlock we all say in unison, "It's getting to be more like Honolulu". ---

Craig, You express a common insight seemingly only recognizable to those not of Honolulu County. Your point about people and their personal vehicles being extensions of their ego is well taken; just reading a couple of HT posts following yours shows just how right you are. In a personal vehicle a person tends to drive with the expectation that, as its owner, he like his vehicle, will be respected; in other words, the person feels empowered, which itself is reflected in a certain attitude, frame of mind that differs from when the same person is driving a rental car.

This superfascUSterrian issue on the outer islands is about much more than the whims, attitudes and ideologies of urban egos on wheels. One funny thing in these HT posts is the presumption by some of pro-HSF faction that relatives on Maui and Kauai just can't wait to host in their homes a car or two load of relatives escaping the effects of the over-population of Oahu. For a day, two days, a week..."yeah auntie, come back any time." (Sure,,,next generation at the earliest!)

Another absurdity expressed on this thread: "What's one more car?" It does not take a license plate for community residents to make a fair determination about individual vehicles and drivers in their community. A stranger is a stranger and the vehicle regardless its plates doesn't change that fact. Virtually all the strangers (aka tourists) who visit Hawaii outer islands plan their living accommodations well before their visit; and all those visitors use new vehicles that are not reflecting the ego of the driver. Many outer island residents who travel to Oahu have many friends and relatives on the island whose invitations of "stay with us anytime" are truly genuine, yet, with few exceptions, such invitations do not manifest into even the first "live-in" experience because the reality of the the outer islander's visit to Oahu is business, shopping and "I'm outta here!!"

Honoluluization (an effective term you employed) is Americanization which I prefer to call Americanaziation or American-nazi-fication or americanauseoUSnation...maybe such american derivations of that which is a corporatist/fascist nation have Honolulu derivations. HonolulunaziUSnation?

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
              Here's my suggestion to all who think that they represent the will of the majority of the people:

Let the peoples' voices be heard. Let them vote with their wallets.
              I don't disagree with your conclusion, but I disagree with the logic.

I don't think HSF requires 50%+ of the residents to make use of the services for it to be financially viable. In fact, they'd probably have to add several more boats if they had that much business.

Comment

• Re: Americanization, HI , Re: Hawaii Superferry - Ch. 5

Originally posted by waioli kai View Post
                In a personal vehicle a person tends to drive with the expectation that, as its owner, he like his vehicle, will be respected
                Thanks for the great laugh! Your comment instantly reminded me of those commercials with that This Is Your Brain On Drugs theme.

in other words, the person feels empowered, which itself is reflected in a certain attitude, frame of mind that differs from when the same person is driving a rental car.
                Heh. Hehehehe. Bwaaaahahahaha!

and all those visitors use new vehicles that are not reflecting the ego of the driver.
                Stop! My sides hurt from laughing so much!

Honoluluization (an effective term you employed) is Americanization which I prefer to call Americanaziation or American-nazi-fication or americanauseoUSnation...maybe such american derivations of that which is a corporatist/fascist nation have Honolulu derivations. HonolulunaziUSnation?
                Now you've gone from inadvertent comedy to sheer and utter buffoonery. And you wonder why nobody ever takes you seriously?!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  I don't disagree with your conclusion, but I disagree with the logic.

I don't think HSF requires 50%+ of the residents to make use of the services for it to be financially viable. In fact, they'd probably have to add several more boats if they had that much business.
                  All I'm asking is if the eco-terrorists think they represent the majority of the state, prove it. I don't care how. But my way is as good a way as any.
                  Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

• Re: terrorUSt$ , Re: Hawaii fascist fairies' Superferry

Also, since you named this thread, why did you put okina apostrophe in the way you wrote Hawai'i ? It's quite clear what Hawaii is to you, but what is Hawai'i to you?
                    Up yours. I didn't name the friggin' thread. Mine just happened to be the one where moderators decided to split the original and called it Chapter 5.

Wot? You da 'okina nazi now? Besides telling me how I'm supposed to live my life, in my homeland, you telling me how I'm supposed to type words on an predominantly English-speaking bulletin board?

I know how to properly place and use diacriticals in the Hawaiian language. It's my job. But I'm speaking English here, not ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi. When I choose to or need to use the Hawaiian language, I switch to the Hawaiian keyboard and generate the necessary unicode.

Comment

• Honolulization, HI , Re: Hawaii fascUSts fairies - Ch. 5

'
                      Thanks for the great laugh!

Heh. Hehehehe. Bwaaaahahahaha!

Stop! My sides hurt from laughing so much!

Now you've gone from inadvertent comedy to sheer and utter buffoonery. And you wonder why nobody ever takes you seriously?!
                      More than once you have expressed your motorcycle fascination in this forum, indeed you have/had a whole thread about it/you. Is your motorcycle a reflection of your ego or is your ego a reflection of your motorcycle? I happen to hate loud obnoxious motorcycles....do you think motorcyclist have every right to blast their engines anywhere, anytime?

Those who do take me seriously need not say so, why should they? I rarely to never post to confirm my agreement with those with whom I agree, why should they? As for you and those on these threads of a compatible mental nature with you, I sometimes read what you come up with. In a similarly hilarious way as you are when you read what I write, I look for reason and perceive almost wholly linguistic nonsense that its writer must be expecting to pass for worthwhile thinking.

Comment

• terrorUSts , Re: HI fascUSt fairies' and Superferry H-3 dreams

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                        Up yours. I didn't name the friggin' thread. Mine just happened to be the one where moderators decided to split the original and called it Chapter 5.

Wot? You da 'okina nazi now? Besides telling me how I'm supposed to live my life, in my homeland, you telling me how I'm supposed to type words on an predominantly English-speaking bulletin board?

I know how to properly place and use diacriticals in the Hawaiian language. It's my job. But I'm speaking English here, not ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi. When I choose to or need to use the Hawaiian language, I switch to the Hawaiian keyboard and generate the necessary unicode.
                        Then you should have no problem answering that last question:
                        What is Hawaii to you, what is Hawai'i to you, what is Hawai`i to you?

The question before that also begs you for an answer:
                        The citizens/corporations who vote/spend the most are the voices/votes who will be heard/represented in the governments of the United States ---that is a given in the United States, so why do you think you are suggesting something new with your "Vote by Wallet" suggestion?
                        Last edited by waioli kai; September 1, 2007, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Re: Waioli Kai is tripping - Ch. 5

More than once you have expressed your motorcycle fascination in this forum, indeed you have/had a whole thread about it/you.
                          There was indeed a thread about my motorcycle when I bought it, but it was about the motorcycle, not about me.
                          As for your "more than once" comment, I've answered a few questions from people asking about riding in Hawai`i. If my answering questions and offering advice bothers you... get over it.

Is your motorcycle a reflection of your ego or is your ego a reflection of your motorcycle?
                          My motorcycle, you'll be extremely sorry to learn, is nothing more than a TOY.

Comment

• Re: terrorUSts , Re: HI fascist fairies' and Superferry H-3 dreams

Then you should have no problem answering that last question: What is Hawaii to you, what is Hawai'i to you, what is Hawai`i to you?

The question before that also begs you for an answer:
                            The citizens/corporations who vote/spend the most are the voices/votes who will be heard/represented in the governments of the United States ---that is a given in the United States, why do you think you are suggesting something new with your "Vote by Wallet" suggestion?
                            Screw you. You will garner no sympathy from the general population with eco-terrorist tactics and ranting. You will get no respect from your position from me. Why don't you go write a book about it? I'm sure it will be on the NY Times bestseller list. *cough*

I don't owe you any explanation or coherent response to your blathering.

Here's a picture of the Great Seal of the State of Hawaii:

Oh? Where da 'okina???

Comment

• Re: Waioli Kai is tripping - Ch. 5

There was indeed a thread about my motorcycle when I bought it, but it was about the motorcycle, not about me.
                              As for your "more than once" comment, I've answered a few questions from people asking about riding in Hawai`i. If my answering questions and offering advice bothers you... get over it.

My motorcycle, you'll be extremely sorry to learn, is nothing more than a TOY.
                              Are you inferring that you have never expressed an interest in taking your toy on a trip off of Oahu via the superferry?

Comment

• HI terrorUSt$ , Re: HI fascUSt fairies' Superferry H-3 dreams

---zztype= " Here's a picture of the Great Seal of the State of Hawaii:

'

Oh? Where da 'okina??? "---

Mahalo. That's the whole point. There is no `okina or ' in Hawaii, the State. Hawaii is a nationalUSt political fabrication, as is Oahu (no `okina), Hawaii (no `okina) County, Kauai (no `okina) County.

So ... "Where da 'okina???"! Precisely!!
                                << Willful attempts to add `okinas to such political fabrications highlight the injustice of the justUS nature of Hawaii, the 50th State.>>
                                Last edited by waioli kai; September 1, 2007, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X