• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 5

Originally posted by dick View Post
    "Feeling myself??"

Uh, whatever, dude... *cough* ...

I think you're the one doing the (ahem) "feeling."

I don't care if you're for the ferry or not, you still sound like you're pontificating about something you really don't know anything about. You're a transplant to another island, plain and simple, yet you have a high-horse attitude like you know what you're talking about.

You had a hard time adjusting to rural life with your Honolulu car-ego... well, sorry to hear about it. You proudly work at one of those so-called "big-box" stores which are fabled to ruin humanity and the simple island life everyone so enjoyed, yet you yearn for those simpler days of yore (thus your move to the Big Island).

I don't quite get it.

Yes Dick you don't get it...and you just said it too.

And I guess I don't either so there is this a respectable way to end this and move onto what will be the fate of the SF?

I believe SF will end up suing to recover any financial losses due to the way this all ended up and all of the SF investors will get their monies somehow in the end.

Whether the SF succeeds or fails will be up to the lawyers but to the owners of SF paying off their investors is their primary concern and I believe one way or another they will succeed in doing so whether it be thru ticket sales or a judgement award.

Dick...truce

Mel...you're still a cool guy

Waioli...Thanks for the support...you too Susan

And to everyone else who feels otherwise...That's just fine too.

Sorry I couldn't convince the masses here, majority rules!

But as my 18-year old boy Austin who will be coming back from MCRD in San Diego this Sunday as a proud Marine says, "Oh Well"

I hope the Super Ferry succeeds...I hope it'll all work out in the end.

But I still think the car is an extension of the ego

Oh BTW Dick, If I'm the one doing the feeling and you're the one coughing...as the military doctor once said to us young recruits many years ago, "Don't piss me off when I'm holding your balls, now cough dammit"

Have a good one and good night
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; September 5, 2007, 11:18 PM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
      back to topic--what do y'all think about the new security zone the coast guard has created at nawiliwili harbor and the claim that the new security plan will cause.
      All I can say is, "Fair warning."

Do the same thing in Honolulu Harbor and the Coast Guard will have their semi-inflatables on you in a few minutes with the .50 cal guns ready.

All they really need is the fireboat and the water cannon handy. Consider it an expedient version of a "cooling off" period.

The protestors should fight the case in court. Signs and shouting might be worth a few pictures and several seconds on TV. But a court decision is a lot more indelible.

As for me, I'm hoping the Superferry is a "go". Cheaper and less ecological impact than building bridges between the islands.

Comment

For some ..... no, make that many ..... people, cars ARE an extension of their egos. Not that it's always a "bad" thing. My classmate was determined to eventually get a LEXUS in due time. Which happened a couple of years ago. What made it possible was a mortgage re-financing I advised them on, saving over 2.50% on the APR.

OTOH, there are many 4WD SUVs and trucks here on Oahu which never go "off-road." And look at all the tricked-out "rice rockets" (Civics, Corollas, Sentras) often times seen racing on our freeways.

Not to mention the "luxury" marquees (M-BENZ, BMW, AUDI, PORSCHE) which populate our streets. My classmate's son in Hilo has TWO, not one, ACURA NSXs among his stable of 12 cars. His insurance premiums are out of this world! Oh well, to each his own!

In my younger days, I drove PORSCHE and BMW ...... then, I grew up.

Comment

Those vehicles which are ego symbols or extensions are those cars enjoyed by enthusiasts, those vehicles they like to either race, customize, make loud sounds with, or drive around in circles just to show off and say "hey look at me". The tricked out "rice rockets", custom SUVs, luxury rigs, muscle cars, that are all the realm of enthusiasts.

For the regular person who never wants to command attention with their vehicle, it is NOT an ego thing. Just something practical to be used for travel and fits within a budget.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            For the regular person who never wants to command attention with their vehicle, it is NOT an ego thing. Just something practical to be used for travel and fits within a budget.
            Have to agree with Mel. Unless my now 100,00 + mile Saturn with the dings and such IS saying something about my ego. Wonder what that is ?

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
              Have to agree with Mel. Unless my now 100,00 + mile Saturn with the dings and such IS saying something about my ego. Wonder what that is ?
              Something you eat for breakfast.

Okay having an ego (or an extended one) is who you are. If you're a practical person, you drive a practical car (extension of your ego). If you are a jerk, you'll drive like one.

If you have no ego, well then you're probably dead or comatose.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

National Geographic on Oceanic Cable has a show on the SF right now (Thurs. Sept 6, 2pm) which is shown again at 5pm). If this is old news for you all, sorry for the redundancy.
                Greg

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  Those vehicles which are ego symbols or extensions are those cars enjoyed by enthusiasts, those vehicles they like to either race, customize, make loud sounds with, or drive around in circles just to show off and say "hey look at me". The tricked out "rice rockets", custom SUVs, luxury rigs, muscle cars, that are all the realm of enthusiasts.

Not all racers want attention. Many are in it for the love of engineering and the THRILL of racing...and those types would do it if there weren't anyone around to watch.
                  Sing with me, everyone!
                  "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
                  like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                  http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
                  The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
                  http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

oops----------------------
                    Sing with me, everyone!
                    "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
                    like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
                    http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
                    The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
                    http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      Okay having an ego (or an extended one) is who you are. If you're a practical person, you drive a practical car (extension of your ego). If you are a jerk, you'll drive like one.
                      No it is not. It is a practical matter of budget and utility. I passed up many flashy vehicles that I would have rather owned then the car I now drive. The choice was clearly only for financial and practical reasons.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by DKP View Post
                        Not all racers want attention. Many are in it for the love of engineering and the THRILL of racing...and those types would do it if there weren't anyone around to watch.
                        Whatever strokes their ego... they like to go fast, get that adrenalin prump, spend the big bucks for such a rig then fine.

But for us low end types, a vehicle is only a matter of budget and practicality. Something to get the owner from point A to B. That's it.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

thanks to the wonders of the dvr, we're now watching the national geographic sho on the superferry. i dind't realize the tech was so involved on it!Q it's even got a special paint job that helps repel microorganizms.

errr...i know i have typos in here but eric & i are sharing a bottle of chadonnay from dinner (see the what's for diner thread) & i don't have the focus to correct them. please pardon the lack of finger agilty.
                          Last edited by cynsaligia; September 6, 2007, 10:08 PM. Reason: small kine buzz, k??!! wot??!! sheee.
                          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I heard that the SuperFerry will be going to Maui on Saturday to pick stranded cars, however this evening (Friday) the SuperFerry was not dock at Pier 19.

Comment

Interesting that nobody here has yet mentioned that the SuperFerry WON in court yesterday, defeating the attempted TRO on Kauai.
                              The Star-Bulletin has the story at this link and the Advertiser has it at this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                Interesting that nobody here has yet mentioned that the SuperFerry WON in court yesterday, defeating the attempted TRO on Kauai.
                                The Star-Bulletin has the story at this link and the Advertiser has it at this link.

Ummm.......I kinda count on YOU for news.

Comment

Working...
                                X