This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 5

The Alakai set sail today on her court ordered trip to Maui to pick-up and return stranded vehicles for their customers. Photo taken from Kakaako Waterfront Park at around 11 this morning. Canon 300D.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Interesting that nobody here has yet mentioned that the SuperFerry WON in court yesterday, defeating the attempted TRO on Kauai.
      The Star-Bulletin has the story at this link and the Advertiser has it at this link.

HSF is still not out the woods yet.This coming up Monday Judge Cardoza will hear a preliminary injunction motion, which will bar HSF from Kahului Harbor until a EA is done. A similiar motion will be heard on September 17 on Kauai.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Hawaii Superferry went to Maui, off loaded and loaded with no incident.

Source
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          Whatever strokes their ego... they like to go fast, get that adrenalin prump, spend the big bucks for such a rig then fine.

But for us low end types, a vehicle is only a matter of budget and practicality. Something to get the owner from point A to B. That's it.
          Isn't that true in almost anything that can be purchased? Cars, homes, clothes are basic necessities for many people. But at the same time, they can all be turned into status symbols, if their owners wish it.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Hawaii Superferry went to Maui, off loaded and loaded with no incident. Source
            Geez, all that Chicken Little hue and cry we've been seeing from one person here on HT about Maui, but as the Advertiser story today notes:
            One man on Maui's shore carried a sign that read, "Super Slimy" but there were no other protesters.
            One person does not a 'majority' maketh.

Hey, this is post #500 in this thread! Do I win a cookie?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The Alakai set sail today on her court ordered trip to Maui to pick-up and return stranded vehicles for their customers. Photo taken from Kakaako Waterfront Park at around 11 this morning. Canon 300D.

I had to repost this photo.

Click here to see the larger version.

Someone noted that it was a boring day. He had to go to Maui to get his car.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Hey, this is post #500 in this thread! Do I win a cookie?
                Will a fortune cookie do?

This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Hawaii Superferry went to Maui, off loaded and loaded with no incident.
                  I think Maui has handled this well. I don't remember anything about their protests getting out of hand.

Isn't there a similar situation with Kauai (stranded cars)? It will be interesting to see what happens if the ferry makes a run to Kauai.

Comment

Whatever strokes their ego... they like to go fast, get that adrenalin prump, spend the big bucks for such a rig then fine.

But for us low end types, a vehicle is only a matter of budget and practicality. Something to get the owner from point A to B. That's it.
                    Zactly. Autos certainly can be an extension of one's ego, should that ego be overblown and then applied to an automobile purchase.

But really. Most of us in the middle income range choose an automobile based upon need, practicality, intended use, and income. Most of us have the sense to realize that no matter how much we want that damn Ferrari we have to go with the famblyvan/utility truck/mileage winner/cheap POS.

If some of us are fortunate enough to get beyond the NEED factor into the WANT factor then, yeah, ego may become a major component.

If school and home-island stickers and such plastered on vehicles constitute ego extension then that speaks volumes, no? I would think of more lack of ego than actual ego. I'm from HERE and you're not. Neener neener. Nanny nanny boo boo.

I suggest you get out more, bub.

Again, the fine line between pride and arrogance.

JMO, of course, subject to revision.

Comment

Interesting observation made in today's Maui News editorial about the name of the first HSF boat, Alakai:

In a less important vein, there is a semantics problem with naming the ferry Alakai. If the intent is to call the ferry a sea road, then the name should be Ala Kai. And if the intent is to declare it a leader, then the name should be Alaka’i.
                      Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                        Interesting observation made in today's Maui News editorial about the name of the first HSF boat, Alakai.
                        Sure, they had to find something to write about, since yesterday's event drew only one single protester!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Uncle Joe trying to cover his okole so he doesn't get booted out of office by his voters...

And Uncle Barry trying to do the same (for his sake and his boss').

There need to be some loopholes closed in Chapter 343 next Legislative session.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=520075

Hey, this looks like HSF's larger brother. 40 knots, 355 cars, 1500 pax but configured for 800 in luxury accommodations. Let's go shut it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              There need to be some loopholes closed in Chapter 343 next Legislative session.
                              Addressed, yes. Clarified as to when the state can grant exemptions and when that can't, absolutely. I don't know about closed. You don't want to have to do a EA just to referb a bathroom.

Comment

from friday's star bulletin:

the brou-haha over the superferry now is causing the AG's office to be cautious about allowing Molokai Ranch to use a state irrigation system to move drinking water from one end of the island to the other without an EA having been done, even tho this agreement has been standing for years. molokai ranch is, according to the piece, the main drinking water provider to west molokai.

i wonder how many other agreements between the state and private companies will now be halted so that an EA can be done.
                                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                                X