This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 5

K-den. P.K. and I went to the Big Island this past weekend and returned yesterday. How I wish, we could have taken Leimomi. The Van cost us $$$. We toured Hilo to Kona. We stopped many places and met many locals. They didn't know we were from Oahu. What "Oahu Attitudes" dey talking about? As far as driving? P.K. and I drove just like we do back home...following the miles posted and being safe.

Respect and BE Respected.

Let the Hawai'i Superferry Run!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      K-den. P.K. and I went to the Big Island this past weekend and returned yesterday. How I wish, we could have taken Leimomi. The Van cost us $$$. We toured Hilo to Kona. We stopped many places and met many locals. They didn't know we were from Oahu. What "Oahu Attitudes" dey talking about? As far as driving? P.K. and I drove just like we do back home...following the miles posted and being safe.

Respect and BE Respected.

Let the Hawai'i Superferry Run!

Auntie Lynn

Ditto that, Auntie Lynn. I was in Kona and Waimea this past Friday on business, then on to my family's home in Hilo until Sunday evening. The compact rental cost $$$ even after they waived the drop-off fee (a business travel bonus, yeah!) for dropping the car in Hilo instead of returning it to Kona. I have no idea what "Oahu attitudes" they're talking about either. I subscribe to the theory: Let the Golden Rule rule!

Comment

Fire Ants infestation grows

http://starbulletin.com/2007/09/18/news/story10.html

The ants have spread throughout Hilo, Mountain View, Kalapana and Laupahoehoe. They have not been found in West Hawaii yet, but Thompson said it is only a matter of time.

Allergies to the ants' stings have not caused any human deaths, but the ants do make pets blind when they are stung in the eyes, he said. In the Solomon Islands, the ants prevent many dogs from living longer than four or five years.

Over time it is likely that the ants will move to the rest of the Hawaiian Islands on ships such as the Hawaii Superferry because they are so small.

"They (agriculture inspectors) are not going to check every nook and cranny," Thompson said.
        Or is it a mis-print? Maybe they are quoting somebody but it doesnt seem they are. Am I missing something? I dont want my dogs going blind!

Comment

Originally posted by Star of Gladness View Post
          Fire Ants infestation grows

http://starbulletin.com/2007/09/18/news/story10.html

Or is it a mis-print? Maybe they are quoting somebody but it doesnt seem they are. Am I missing something? I dont want my dogs going blind!
          Unfortunately, it appears to be true.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

>>>Over time it is likely that the ants will move to the rest of the Hawaiian Islands on ships such as the Hawaii Superferry because they are so small.

"They (agriculture inspectors) are not going to check every nook and cranny," Thompson said.<<<

"Ships such as..." also includes barges and anything else that moves between the islands.

Are these inspectors going to check "every nook and cranny" on all barges, aircraft, and fishing boats?

Comment

From this Breaking News story on the Advertiser's website:

Big Island Mayor Harry Kim today endorsed the Hawaii Superferry, calling it a welcome and needed alternative to interisland air travel.
              Kim was called as a witness by the company in a Maui Circuit Court hearing on whether the new interisland ferry should be allowed to resume service while the state conducts an environmental assessment on ferry-related projects at Kahului Harbor.

"We are the only state in the 50 states where interstate travel is limited to only air. To me it's very, very limited and it should not be," he said.

The ferry also would provide another alternative for moving goods throughout the state, and could assist Civil Defense agencies in disasters, according to Kim.

The mayor said he feels the ferry should be allowed to operate while an assessment is done. "I don't see what the harm would be to allowing this to happen," he said.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Apparently Miulang missed my questions.
                I quoted her post thusly:
                The Spirit of Ontario, the Australian-built Austal sister ship to the Alakai which wowed Hawai'i residents a couple of years ago when she visited, has had a very checkered past.
                And then my reply was this:

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Exactly what the heck are you talking about?!? Precisely what do you mean about its "checkered past"?
                According to the Wikipedia article you linked to, any problems with that ferry were management-related, but the ship itself proved extremely reliable. (I liked the part in that link of yours that noted the ferry was almost always completely full. )
                So what do you mean by "checkered past" and exactly how the heck does that ferry (which was built in Australia, by the way) relate to Hawaii SuperFerry or to anything happening here?!??
                Did the Spirit Of Ontario somehow offend you there in Seattle?
                Did your post have some kind -- any kind -- of a point to make?
                Waiting for the answers...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  Apparently Miulang missed my questions.
                  Waiting for the answers...
                  If she has you on "ignore," you could be waiting a while.

But then, assuming I'm not on ignore, now she knows you were asking questions.

And so it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    If she has you on "ignore," you could be waiting a while.

But then, assuming I'm not on ignore, now she knows you were asking questions.

And so it goes.
                    You're right, Leo. I have Likanui on ignore and will continue to do so. So he can keep asking his rhetorical questions all he wants. He will not get a direct answer from me. He assumes that I am "against" Superferry, when in fact I am not. What I am opposed to is as Kam says, the plantation politics of ramrodding things down peoples' throats and thinking that they will just sit back and accept it, even as laws are clearly being broken. Why have laws if people can find ways to do end runs around them?

I brought up the fate of the Spirit of Ontario because it proves that if HSF can't make a go of it in Hawai'i, it can still be used elsewhere.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                      You're right, Leo. I have Likanui on ignore and will continue to do so. So he can keep asking his rhetorical questions all he wants. He will not get a direct answer from me. He assumes that I am "against" Superferry, when in fact I am not. What I am opposed to is as Kam says, the plantation politics of ramrodding things down peoples' throats and thinking that they will just sit back and accept it, even as laws are clearly being broken. Why have laws if people can find ways to do end runs around them?

I brought up the fate of the Spirit of Ontario because it proves that if HSF can't make a go of it in Hawai'i, it can still be used elsewhere.

Miulang

I must have missed Kim's comments about "ramrodding things down peoples' throats." Clearly, what Kim said is that the HSF should be allowed to continue service during any EIS that may (or may not) be ordered. In addition, can you explain what laws have been broken? Are you referring to the Kauai protestors breaking the law?

Comment

Other than not doing any environment studies for the service I don't know what laws were broken in attempting to setup the SuperFerry.

Comment

Originally posted by MatildaRose View Post
                          I must have missed Kim's comments about "ramrodding things down peoples' throats." Clearly, what Kim said is that the HSF should be allowed to continue service during any EIS that may (or may not) be ordered. In addition, can you explain what laws have been broken? Are you referring to the Kauai protestors breaking the law?
                          No, not the Hilo mayor, but Kamuelakea. The law is Chapter 343, HRS which states that an EA is required anytime state funds or state facilities are used by a private entity. What got the DOT in trouble with the Hawaii Supreme Court is they exempted HSF from doing that EA, particularly because the DOT apparently didn't take into consideration any secondary environmental impacts even a "minor" modification would make in Kahului Harbor.

If the State wants to continue running the government like some banana republic where laws are meant to be broken or conveniently disregarded, then the Legislature should get rid of Chapter 343.

P.S. Harry Kim just finished testifying (live on Akaku). Hall basically said that Kim's testimony should be disregarded because the case being heard is about Maui and Kahului Harbor.

Miulang

Comment

The first laws were broken by the HSF when they violated the intent of the judges TRO and sailed with revenue passengers a day early.

This only incited the Nawiliwili demonstrations.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              No, not the Hilo mayor, but Kamuelakea. The law is Chapter 343, HRS which states that an EA is required anytime state funds or state facilities are used by a private entity. What got the DOT in trouble with the Hawaii Supreme Court is they exempted HSF from doing that EA, particularly because the DOT apparently didn't take into consideration any secondary environmental impacts even a "minor" modification would make in Kahului Harbor.

If the State wants to continue running the government like some banana republic where laws are meant to be broken or conveniently disregarded, then the Legislature should get rid of Chapter 343.

P.S. Harry Kim just finished testifying (live on Akaku). Hall basically said that Kim's testimony should be disregarded because the case being heard is about Maui and Kahului Harbor.

Miulang

Thanks for the clarification. But in 2009, HSF is scheduled to begin service to Kawaihae, so I think Kim's voice should be heard. It will be interesting to see if Big Island folks turn out in protest if HSF makes it that far. My relatives in Hilo seem to think we might see a repeat of the Kauai-kind of protests, but it's too early to borrow trouble, IMO.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. But in 2009, HSF is scheduled to begin service to Kawaihae, so I think Kim's voice should be heard. It will be interesting to see if Big Island folks turn out in protest if HSF makes it that far. My relatives in Hilo seem to think we might see a repeat of the Kauai-kind of protests, but it's too early to borrow trouble, IMO.
                                The Big Island shouldn't run into the same problems with an EA/EIS that Kahului and Nawiliwili did if the State goes ahead and does the EIS it says it now wants to do for all Hawai'i commercial harbors. But they would have to start on that EIS fairly quickly because an EIS takes at least a year or so to complete (that request is being held up because the State wants to expedite it by using the same company it's contracted with to do an EIS for Kahului Harbor--Belt Collins, but there are some in the State who say that the state bidding rules say that you can't expedite a contract unless there is only one source or if there is a pending emergency; in other words, there is more than one company that can do the work and some Legislators don't want to set up an ugly precedent of hauling out exemptions again, just like many are loathe to call a Special Session of the Legislature to fix the problem).

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X