Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thunderbirds Over Waikiki

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    With all due respect to our men in uniform and with the full disclosure that I am as fascinated by these amazing machines of flight as anyone, am I the only person here who thinks military air shows are an unnecessary risk of civilian life and an unnecessary expense?
    That and Beauty pageants...well they do want world peace so I guess it can't be all that bad

Funny one wants to do it with military might...the other in a swimsuit.

But hey I'm former USAF and am a proud supporter of the Thunderbirds.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Well today's actual performance was a bit disappointing in how short it was. Perhaps the drizzling weather had them cut it short. Thursday afternoon's "practice" lasted much longer.

AbsolutChaos and friends also were also on deck to enjoy the show, as well as many other residents in our building. All braving occasional downpours.

I didn't get that many shots. Out of those, this was my favorite...

"Buzzing the Rainbow Tower"

KSSK set-up a tent on the Hale Koa hotel's roof where they broadcasted what was going on. You can sort of see them on the roof (real small) on the building on the right...

And once again, obviously the weather was cloudy and rainy, but at least winds were light, which otherwise could have been a safety factor.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

The whole thing turned out to be a wash for me today. I was at a pretty good location, the second level parking deck way down from Sears Ala Moana. My objective was to be close to my car to protect the camera from the rain.

I guess I must have been overprotective because during the times I wiped the camera off with my towel, I must have somehow changed the exposure dial from "P" to "Tv" (shutter priority). And the shutter speed was set slow from a previous shoot and of course almost all of my pictures turned out blurry!

Have to remember to constantly check that exposure dial... The rain is distracting when you worry about keeping the camera dry.

As to the length of the show, yes... it was shorter than Thursday. So in that regard I am happy I got all those shots on Thursday. Today's show erred on the side of safety and I totally understand that. Low cloud ceilings and rain squalls are not conducive to a good aerobatics show.

There is always the U.S. Navy Blue Angels next month.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I initially went to the 4th floor of Ala Moana Shopping Center behind Bumpa Gump and CFK but it was filled with people. I then went to the 3rd floor Diamond Head side of Macy's, while it did have some people there, it have a good amount of free space but it started to dizzle.

Then I went over to the mall level just under CFK. Was able to find a covered spot but trees from Ala Moana Park block some of the view.

In some respects it wasn't the best view but at least I was dry during the show. I haven't check the results of my camera shots yet.

Comment

No pix, but, we got to sit at the water's edge in front of the Hale Koa Hotel. I bought the girls some shave ice, we got a mat, we had some bottled water and we sat in the hot sun. So when it spritzed rain on us, it was barely a sprinkle, and it was actually quite refreshing. I figured since we were right next to the area cordoned off for the communication tent, that we were at ground zero plus one. But when the jets flew by us mauka to makai, it was confirmed that we were at ground zero. It was great to learn that two of the six pilots were wahine. Did any of you see that one where the jet was nose up nearly tippy-toeing across the water? Amazing. Such skill!
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
              Did any of you see that one where the jet was nose up nearly tippy-toeing across the water? Amazing. Such skill!
              You mean this one...

Yeah, yeah, I need a better camera (and more photography 101), but hey... I got the shot!
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                [...]It was great to learn that two of the six pilots were wahine. Did any of you see that one where the jet was nose up nearly tippy-toeing across the water? Amazing. Such skill!
                I'd heard of one wahine but not 2. Cool! Too bad one of 'em wasn't the one to take Kim Gennaula for her ride. That woulda been very cool!

The nose up/tip toe dance was incredible; the highlight, afaic. I agree that Thursday was much better but also agree that today's weather was probably to blame. Still, throngs of people and traffic turned out. It took me 20 min. to drive from Discovery Bay to Kalakaua and Kapiolani...at 5p! I wonder what percentage of people came for the parade and stayed for the air show.

It was a busy day in Waikiki!

Comment

NIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!

photo one oh one or what, it is a fine shot. We were near this guy who had a nice Cannon, and then this wahine in a leather hat, some kind of ID and all kinds of photo gear came by...my husband, who works at The Advertiser, said that his paper doesn't use Cannons so maybe she worked at the SB? Anyway, this guy with his little EOS CLEARLY had camera lust. I almost called him on it!
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I haven't yet seen what I got from the camera, but I'm not expecting too much. Too cloudy. White jets don't do well on a cloudy background. I think my Thurdsday 9AM shots from the edge of magic island were probably better. I think that group also got more over flights as the planes entered and exited the show box.

Given the clouds and the lack of a good spot in the hills, I headed for the DH corner of the boat harbor parking lot.

It was a better spot to see the show itself, but a little further from the jets themselves.

My favorite part? The sneak pass of course!

SNEAK!!! Whoooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Both times, must have been right above the shoreline. Yeah, it was loud. Not loud enough to wipe the silly grin off my face.

Comment

I had a Pure Digital Flip Video camorder on my left hand and a HP M547 digital camera on my right hand set to burst mode (taking 3 images at a time). This one is the best I got from the HP camera.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        I haven't yet seen what I got from the camera, but I'm not expecting too much. Too cloudy. White jets don't do well on a cloudy background. I think my Thurdsday 9AM shots from the edge of magic island were probably better. I think that group also got more over flights as the planes entered and exited the show box.

Given the clouds and the lack of a good spot in the hills, I headed for the DH corner of the boat harbor parking lot.

It was a better spot to see the show itself, but a little further from the jets themselves.

SNEAK!!! Whoooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Both times, must have been right above the shoreline. Yeah, it was loud. Not loud enough to wipe the silly grin off my face.

it was that point that i leaned over to my husband and told him that it was quite evocative.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post

SNEAK!!! Whoooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
                          That was the most descriptive post yet about the show just using text.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Last edited by na alii; September 16, 2007, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Comment

waste$ , Re: Thunderbirds Over Waikiki

scrivener: "With all due respect to our men in uniform and with the fulldisclosure that I am as fascinated by these amazing machines of flight as anyone, am I the only person here who thinks military air shows are an unnecessary risk of civilian life and an unnecessary expense?"
                                craigwatanabe--- "That and Beauty pageants...well they do want world peace so I guess it can't be all that bad. "

That they "do want world peace", 'they' referring to just those uniformed U.S. air force personnel, perhaps they do want that, but then who would need such an air force alongside world peace?

U.S. corporatist, militarist, and Israel-in-Palestine adherents talk world peace as a rapist likely tells his victim: "Relax, don't fight it, everything will be okay."

Comment

Working...
                                X