Feeder Preschools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Feeder Preschools

I will say that I don't know if it's fact or fiction but all our friends who want their kids to go to one of the better private schools all try to get their kids into feeder schools. Some of them may even be appalled that we don't send our son to school in town to a feeder. I have also heard that there are donations that could be made to some of those private schools to assure you that your child get in.

craig has already gone through what some of us are going through now. It also sounds like glen may have children older than us also.

It's funny but I just saw a book in Border's with a title like getting your child into private school in Hawaii.

I will say glen and craig have been right about what you can do most for a school that your child attends; have them ready. I'd say the naughty kids take up so much attention and time from the teachers. A lot of the teachers thank us for having a well behaved child. It seems that a lot of parents think the school can provide alot of the parenting for them. Often times when I pick up our son the other children will point out to me who's "naughty" and who's "mean."

This is one opinion on the subject from Dr. Loren Yamamoto:
    http://www.hawaii.edu/medicine/pedia...nting/c29.html

We will see what path our son takes as he gets older.

Someone at work had twin daughters. One choose to go to Iolani and the other choose to go to Moanalua. Both of them ended up at Stanford and both are engineers I believe. Think about that.
    just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
      craig has already gone through what some of us are going through now. It also sounds like glen may have children older than us also.
      Times have changed in the last five years. If you don't have kids in preschool today - you have no clue. And unless you tell me you're on a private school admissions committee, I guarantee you I know more about the process than you.

But I suppose that the more folks don't believe in the tutoring and feeder preschools, the better. Less competition.

A feeder preschool doesn't guarantee admissions, but you know the preschool maintains a good environment for your kids. A lot of other schools are a crapshoot. A few unruly kids in a class totally disrupts the class and takes up an inordinate amount of attention from the teachers.

Second tier preschools also may have retention problems with faculty. 2% unemployment will do that.

You can come up with all the one off examples you want but if you want your kids to get into a solid private school and you aren't doing everything you possibly can to prepare them, be prepared for disappointment. Odds are stacked way against your kid in the first place, all of the prep in the world only enhances chances but still you gotta do all you can.

edit: I'll backtrack a little. I only care and have become knowledgeable about the admissions process at a select few schools. Other than that I am clueless.
      Last edited by 808shooter; October 20, 2007, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
        And unless you tell me you're on a private school admissions committee, I guarantee you I know more about the process than you.
        I'll take that bet. What's the wager?

A feeder preschool doesn't guarantee admissions, but you know the preschool maintains a good environment for your kids. A lot of other schools are a crapshoot. A few unruly kids in a class totally disrupts the class and takes up an inordinate amount of attention from the teachers.
        Okay, but what you said is that a feeder preschool is "a must." I'm not talking about one-off examples here: I know for absolute certain that it is NOT a must, and neither is preschool in general.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I'll take that bet. What's the wager?
          never mind, I don't care to prove a point.

Okay, but what you said is that a feeder preschool is "a must." I'm not talking about one-off examples here: I know for absolute certain that it is NOT a must, and neither is preschool in general.
          semantics. for 95% of the kids out there who want to have a shot, they are a must.

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
            never mind, I don't care to prove a point.
            If you don't care to prove it, why guarantee it?

semantics. for 95% of the kids out there who want to have a shot, they are a must.
            rosiev asked for advice, and you said they are a must. You can accuse me of nitpicking "semantics," but how is someone like rosiev--a person sincerely seeking advice; a person completely new to the island--supposed to know you don't literally mean they are a must?

Now you are saying 95%. Are you telling me that 95% of students admitted to the so-called academic "upper-tier" schools at the kindergarten level has attended one of the feeder schools? I find this extremely difficult to believe.

Look: I'm not trying to give you a hard time. It's clear that you know your stuff and you have some experience in this area. I, too, know mine, and I, too, have something close to twelve years' worth of experience. However, you keep using absolutes such as "must," "guarantee," and "need," and I think that gives the original poster bad info. If I call you on it or ask for clarification, please don't dismiss my response as merely an argument in "semantics." You are telling this person that if she doesn't get her kid into Kawaihao or one of the other feeders, her chances of getting her kid into the school of her choice drops down to 5%. What I want to say is "no way," but then I'd be just as guilty of employing absolutes, so I will instead say, "I really don't think so."

Especially since she lists Mid-Pac as an example.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

According to this 2004 SB article
              "Eight out of 10 Hawaii residents consider preschool a key to academic success and believe the state should make it affordable to all children, .....High-quality preschool programs cost an average of $517 a month in Hawaii, he said, so a family with one child must earn $59,466 to afford the full cost of preschool."
              $517 per month is more then UH Costs

This was three years ago. I'm sure that number has probably increased.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                If you don't care to prove it, why guarantee it?
                sorry. you win. end of guarantee. If I post or give folks advice - I usually know my shet. I don't care to argue about who's the bigger brain about it.

rosiev asked for advice, and you said they are a must. You can accuse me of nitpicking "semantics," but how is someone like rosiev--a person sincerely seeking advice; a person completely new to the island--supposed to know you don't literally mean they are a must?
                I suppose everyone has their opinion. You are entitled to yours. For me and many parents I know, they are a must.

Now you are saying 95%. Are you telling me that 95% of students admitted to the so-called academic "upper-tier" schools at the kindergarten level has attended one of the feeder schools? I find this extremely difficult to believe.
                I'd say that for 95% (probably more) of the kids out there, they'd benefit from preschool/feeder school experience. How many parents have the luxury of homeschool? How many possess the skills and experience to homeschool adequately. How many kids are naturally gifted or have the home environment that will allow them to interview and compete with kids getting all of the other advantages.

To me it's more irresponsible to give someone the false sense of security that they will be just fine with no preschool, no extracurricular activities and no tutoring. Maybe that works for a very small % of kids out there but not the majority.

and as far as a must. how about challenging every post in here about:

"oooh this is the best katsu you'll ever have" RIGHT PROVE IT.

I'll be sure to be policing every one of your posts for disclaimers and not using absolutes. Sheesh.

Look: I'm not trying to give you a hard time. It's clear that you know your stuff and you have some experience in this area. I, too, know mine, and I, too, have something close to twelve years' worth of experience. However, you keep using absolutes such as "must," "guarantee," and "need," and I think that gives the original poster bad info. If I call you on it or ask for clarification, please don't dismiss my response as merely an argument in "semantics." You are telling this person that if she doesn't get her kid into Kawaihao or one of the other feeders, her chances of getting her kid into the school of her choice drops down to 5%. What I want to say is "no way," but then I'd be just as guilty of employing absolutes, so I will instead say, "I really don't think so."

Especially since she lists Mid-Pac as an example.
                all right. truce. if you get off the high horse, I'll stop sharing in this thread.

Comment

After I posted I was thinking ... it must be more competitive to enter private school than before. Alumni are having children ... parents who attended public school may want their children to "have a better education" so in all likelihood applications are probably up. So any advantage you have would seem to be a benefit. Afterall someone is trying to make money off this and wrote a book for sale. I can't find it on the web. Anyway perhaps the person who orignated this thread can go find the book.
                  just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

My girls went to a preschool out here in Hawaii Kai, and now both go to Koko Head. My 8 year old skipped a grade, is in 4th grade, and I was told that the results of her assessment test indicate that she scored extremely high, and possibly higher than any kid in this complex. I find out for sure at my teacher meeting this Wednesday. I don't expect my 6 year old, who is in 1st grade to test as well. But they both went to the same preschool. They are different kids. It is amazing to have a kid who is certainly brighter than I ever was when I was her age. But I must say that when my younger girl has her eureka moments, it gives me a feeling of pride I cannot explain.

I guess my point is that while there are those of you lucky enough to consider the road of education through feeder preschools and into Hawaii's exclusive private schools, there are children who don't go that route and yet they succeed. All of my sisters-in-law have advanced degrees, four of them went to Koko Head, two went to Kalani, two went to Kaiser, two, I believe skipped high school graduation and entered college early. Nature, nurture and determination. Is there a doctor in the house? When we have our family gatherings, there are half a dozen.

Let me say though, that I am going to fill out an application for my girls to attend University Lab School. I just wrote a story about charter schools, and this is the granddaddy of them all. Just goes to show you don't need a fancy campus to be innovative.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      And Ericyn, yes there are children who have gone to The Early School and have entered and graduated from Iolani. Just because you don't know of any that doesn't mean there aren't any, as a lawyer you should know better than to make an assumption like that.
                      ah, mr. watanabe, how funny you chide me for assuming, because:

1. i didn't say, nor did i ever once think, that just bcs i didn't know of any schoolmates who went to early school then to iolani, that there were none.

2. i'm not a lawyer. i never in my life said i ever was, and in fact, i've been careful to say i've worked in the legal industry for lawyers and with lawyers. i've worked almost every part of the legal industry save being an actual lawyer.

superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                        ah, mr. watanabe, how funny you chide me for assuming, because:

1. i didn't say, nor did i ever once think, that just bcs i didn't know of any schoolmates who went to early school then to iolani, that there were none.

2. i'm not a lawyer. i never in my life said i ever was, and in fact, i've been careful to say i've worked in the legal industry for lawyers and with lawyers. i've worked almost every part of the legal industry save being an actual lawyer.

Touche...for all the legalese you mention I was wrong to make that assumption.

But didn't you say this: all i'm gonna say is that i went to iolani from seventh grade thru senior year, and graduated form iolani, and never did i meet anyone who had gone to early school let me know when it came into being, cause i have no clue. remember, i'm childless and grad mumble years ago).

So I'm "letting you know" that there are those who did.

I did mention that pre school isn't for everyone and for that matter even private school. I'm a product of pre school (albeit not a feeder school) and graduated from Kalani High School. I'm not college material either but struggled thru the process like some of us.

But in general (and I know LikaNui hates generalizations) kids do better in a school setting and that includes pre to college. Some do it better than others. That's pretty much a fact of life, so if you don't want to gamble with life, you choose the best path that has been proven to garner consistantly better results.

If you can afford the expense of pre school and feel the desire to do so then you should. If you have the desire to do so but can't afford it, there are scholarships out there and sacrifices we as parents can accept to ensure our children get the best we can afford or sacrifice without.

Likewise if you feel pre school and/or private school is a waste of time well that's fine too. That's what public school is all about. All I can say for that is Thank God for public charter schools.

But are you willing to take the chance that your child will be better off without this pre-ed? That's a big chance to take and unfortunately one chance that will pass your child by when that opportunity passes as well.

My wife Brenda has over 25-years in ECE (Early Childhood Education) as a teacher and administrator holding a Masters in ECE, working with the filthy rich in Honolulu to the impoverished in Papaiko. Between the two of us and six boys, we do see the value of pre-school education. I value my wife's knowledge when we speak of the direction of our children and children in general because she is a highly qualified expert in this field and both her and I embrace this ideal that is the vision statement of the organization for which she is employed at:

Vision Statement
                        The children are the future.

As their forebears, it is our responsibility to create for them a world in which they are assured a safe and nurturing environment; a world in which those generations not yet born are as cherished and loved as those children now cradled in our arms. If the children are indeed our hopes and our dreams, then we must do everything within our power to ensure those hopes and dreams live on.

Therefore, PATCH strives to create a world in which caring for children is a fundamental value, one embraced and supported by all of society. The needs of infants and children will become such common knowledge that they are never questioned. All who care for children will receive the support and education they require to understand and meet the needs of their children. In this world, quality childcare will be a right enjoyed by all.

As we strive to build a safe and peaceful world, we are driven by the knowledge that a society that spends more on nurturing a child spends less reforming an adult.

P.A.T.C.H.
                        Last edited by craigwatanabe; October 20, 2007, 11:21 PM.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post

It's funny but I just saw a book in Border's with a title like getting your child into private school in Hawaii.
                          jk, i think you saw a magazine, not a book. Rosiev, there are two recent magazines that you'll be interested in reading. i think they both do a pretty good job of giving you a good overview of the situation in hawaii.

1. Honolulu Magazine: Sept 2007 Issue. "Private School Guide"

2. Hawaii Business Magazine: Oct 2007 Issue: "Pre-K Pressure: Inside the Kindergarten Admissions Race"

hawaii's a small place and so i'm reluctant to make statements which are negative about any person or institution but i will say this here and invite you to send me a personal message if you want more details: our daughter was in one of the feeder preschools for about 2 months and we had no doubts that we did NOT want her there. it wasn't a matter of a bad fit but rather my wife and i both believed that the quality of care was NOT equal to the school's reputation. we felt that it was probably a safe environment but that's NOT why we were paying $1k per month! when kids do stuff they shouldn't do, does a teacher lovingly intervene and point out that what they're doing isn't right? do the teachers have eyes that say "your child is precious and i'm very happy to be here with them"? etc.

we took our daughter out of that preschool (with absolutely no regrets) without having another preschool to put her into. we just thought that the environment wasn't good enough (hey, we're talking about our only child!) and that i'd continue to be a full time dad. it turns out that another feeder school called us a few weeks later and said that an opening was going to become available and so we enthusiastically said "yes!" and it has turned out wonderfully. our daughter LOVES going to her preschool and the teachers care for her like she were theirs. so it's NOT about getting your child into a feeder preschool as it is about finding a preschool that is great for your child.

sidenote: at my daughter's present preschool, i met 2 other parents who had kids in my daughter's previous preschool and they took their kids out for the same reasons.

i hope you paid attention to what scriv wrote on the subject. be careful that you don't force your child into a mold vs let him/her bloom into the person that they can become.

good luck!
                          Attached Files
                          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Touche...for all the legalese you mention I was wrong to make that assumption.

But didn't you say this: all i'm gonna say is that i went to iolani from seventh grade thru senior year, and graduated form iolani, and never did i meet anyone who had gone to early school let me know when it came into being, cause i have no clue. remember, i'm childless and grad mumble years ago).

So I'm "letting you know" that there are those who did.

yes, i did say that, and i wrote it when i was blasted. so let me clarify what i said, bcs it seems i was unclear. i'll add some punctuation that was missing (in bold and red):

all i'm gonna say is that i went to iolani from seventh grade thru senior year, and graduated form iolani, and never did i meet anyone who had gone to early school (let me know when it came into being, cause i have no clue. remember, i'm childless and grad mumble years ago).
                            in other words, "never, in my six years at iolani, did i meet anyone who had gone to early school before attending iolani. can someone please tell me when early school came into being, bcs i have no clue?"

i wasn't asking for anyone to tell me whether any early school students ever went on to go to iolani.

anyway, i've since learned that early school was established around the time i was born. i'd never known of its existence until this thread. no one i know sent their kids there--and this includes several iolani alumni who are now iolani parents.

i myself went to fort shafter preschool. *shrug*

you can send your kid to whatever school you want, from preschool to college and beyond. your kid will always remain captain of his/her own fate, regardless of your desires and hopes. you can only do what you think is best for your child and what is within your means. if you take out a second mortgage on your home to send your child to a certain school and/or have him or her take part in certain activities believing it will guarantee a certain outcome...and if you're having your kid do these things when s/he does not want to do them or s/he is poorly suited for those things....

something to consider: i am convinced i would have had a better chance getting into one of the two colleges i really wanted to go to (stanford or claremont mckenna) if i went to farrington versus iolani, bcs i would have graduated near the top of my class instead of the middle of my class.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Didn't you mention once long ago on that you went to a preschool that I lived behind in a five story building on Hassinger street that played Reville every morning? Or was that someone else?

One thing I'm certain of is that having gone to Iolani in the middle of your class will open more collegiate doors for you.

They don't call schools like Punahou (sorry Scriv for saying the "P" word) and Iolani, prep schools for nothing.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Didn't you mention once long ago on that you went to a preschool that I lived behind in a five story building on Hassinger street that played Reville every morning? Or was that someone else?
                                no, i went to preschool at fort shafter. yes, i was at island paradise school on the corner of piikoi and hassinger by your old abode from kindergarten thru fourth grade. from there, i went to hongwanji mission school before entering iolani in 7th grade.

One thing I'm certain of is that having gone to Iolani in the middle of your class will open more collegiate doors for you.

They don't call schools like Punahou (sorry Scriv for saying the "P" word) and Iolani, prep schools for nothing.
                                yes, they are college prep schools, and they're very good at what they do. maybe too good. when i went to UH, the teaching was so below the level that i was used to that i superciliously skipped a lot of classes and earned the lowest grades i'd ever gotten. iolani was harder than UH in certain aspects, and most of my classmates, no matter what college they went to, said the same.

having gone to iolani didn't open up any special collegiate doors for me that i didn't earn going through because of my own hard work and study. my experience is that the best colleges don't fall all over themselves sighing for a student who was a middling student at iolani (remember, for my graduating class, middling = about 3.4 gpa; valedictorian = about 4.6). they will, however, practically sound trumpet and fanfare whilst welcoming a valedictorian from farrington or waipahu high.

on the other hand, having gone to iolani very likely opened some career doors more quickly for me than if i had gone to farrington.

would i send any future children i might have to iolani? that's like asking me, a filipina, if i like pork adobo. but i'd only send my kid to iolani if it was a good fit and s/he would thrive there.

Comment

Working...
                                X