Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Son suspended for up to a year for playing with BB gun at school

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    . One of the boys had found his dad's gun in a closet and the 2 were checking it out when it went off. Charlie died instantly. Of course, an investigation took place and it was determined to be an accident.
    Years ago a similar thing happened to a co-worker's family here in Hawaii. Her teenage son and a friend were messing with a gun in her home, and the friend was accidentially killed. (Besides the horrible tragedy, there was also the lawsuit to deal with in the aftermath!)

"Accidents happen", and that is why there is zero tolerance for guns in schools - to help prevent accidents from happening in the classroom.

Nevertheless, for expelled students there still should be an alternative public educational opportunity, perhaps coursework via computer with additional reinforcement in a classroom setting under extra adult supervision.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Children with little or no exposure to firearms simply do not have the training required to know safe handling or the dangers of weapons. Sadly, in America, we have lots of fear nowadays regarding firearms. You know the folks .... they truly believe that guns kill people. They are very, very wrong.

Best way to keep your child safe from firearms is to take them hunting or to the shooting range once in a while. A day at the range for a 7 year old is a thrilling, educational experience.

I am sorry for your child. However, as a parent, who owns weapons, with a daughter who knows what they are, and what they are for, I simply say that the policy in school is a good one. You might consider getting your child a weapon, and train them properly in the use of said item. Education is the key to safety. I hope you find some form of alternate schooling for the young man.

Most of all, I hope YOU use this opportunity to help all become better parents.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
        You might consider getting your child a weapon, and train them properly in the use of said item. Education is the key to safety.
        I would have to add one thing to that suggestion. And that is,... parents should have all firearms securely locked up and kept out of reach from children at ALL times when they are not under your supervision. (Even better, keep the weapons unloaded and lock the guns and ammunition seperately.) Doesn't matter how much education and training you give to your kids when it comes to proper weapons use and safety. Even "good" children can be vulnerable to bad judgement. That one lapse could turn out to be a deadly one. For one of their friends, maybe even themselves.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

We had my son's hearing with the deputy superintendent of our district a few weeks ago. We got mail over the weekend to say that my son will be suspended for one month - not counting the days he was already suspended. That's the minimum that we were expecting (technically, it should have been one year). They are going to provide him with work for the time that he is out.

The mandatory state testing is in a few weeks and we told them that since he will be coming to work with me while he is out of school, I will not be able to bring him back and forth from town to school to take the tests. They are going to send a tester to my work place so that he can still take the tests. I know it's petty but we fought them when they said he was suspended but still had to take these tests. I mean, that's like wanting your cake and eating it too. Anyway, they're going to make it happen so that's the latest update on the situation.

Thanks again to everyone who gave advice.
          Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
          My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
            We had my son's hearing with the deputy superintendent of our district a few weeks ago. We got mail over the weekend to say that my son will be suspended for one month - not counting the days he was already suspended. That's the minimum that we were expecting (technically, it should have been one year). They are going to provide him with work for the time that he is out.

The mandatory state testing is in a few weeks and we told them that since he will be coming to work with me while he is out of school, I will not be able to bring him back and forth from town to school to take the tests. They are going to send a tester to my work place so that he can still take the tests. I know it's petty but we fought them when they said he was suspended but still had to take these tests. I mean, that's like wanting your cake and eating it too. Anyway, they're going to make it happen so that's the latest update on the situation.

Thanks again to everyone who gave advice.
            Well, since the testing results are part of his school record (and not just part of the school's record, I believe), it's probably for the best that the school is willing to accommodate your family on the testing so that he can still take the tests.

Comment

Working...
            X