PSI Motivational Seminars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSI Motivational Seminars?

Not Pounds per Square Inch... but the motivational seminars.

PSI Motivational Seminars.

I was invited to one tonight and it was AWFUL!!!

I did it as a favor to a friend. I don't think we're gonna be calling him anytime soon.

Anyone else have an experience with PSI?
    Last edited by turtlegirl; January 6, 2009, 08:01 PM.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: PSI Motivational Seminars?

Wikipedia entry on PSI Seminars:
    At best, PSI Seminars offer fleeting doses of motivation that taper off shortly after their completion. At worst, PSi Seminars has drawn criticism from numerous customers who claim that the program functions much like a cult, especially because attendees are encouraged to sign up, and pay, for ever-higher levels of training.

Comment

This may not mean anything, but many Protestant evangelical experts on cults list PSI as a cult. It does have a lot in common with them. But then, so does Amway.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
        PSI Motivational Seminars.
        I was invited to one tonight and it was AWFUL!!!
        Was it as bad as Matt Foley (who lives in a van down by the river)?

Comment

These kinds of seminars were prevalent back in the mid-'70s. I managed to avoid getting "sucked-in" by them, despite some friends of mine who really believed.

In addition to PSI, there was EST, Scientology, and others bent on getting wealthy.

Comment

Hey, I went through EST training in the 70's. Found a lot of benefits to it and there are things I still use today in my life. I don't know about the other groups, but I can say very positive things about EST.

If you know anything about the EST training - go back & watch the early Star Wars films. George Lucas was also an EST grad. Pay close attention to Yoda
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Were there at least snacks? Over the top people to quietly mock? I knew I should have brought my tiny flask over; you so could have smuggled it in with you. These are the only ways I get through those home interior decor "parties" I have to suffer through every few months.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                Were there at least snacks? Over the top people to quietly mock? I knew I should have brought my tiny flask over; you so could have smuggled it in with you. These are the only ways I get through those home interior decor "parties" I have to suffer through every few months.
                Love your reply! What I have found that works is a small water bottle
                emptied and refilled with vodka!

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                  a small water bottle
                  emptied and refilled with vodka!
                  Don't forget the dry vermouth!
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

My wife and I took two of their courses 20 years ago and they were excellent.

They're not a cult. There's no belief system and nothing to join.

I'd say they are about relationships, rather than motivational. Relationships are the most important area of our lives, but the skills needed to really make them last and work are very complicated.

Most people have never taken even one class in them. No wonder the divorce rate is so high, and so many are stuck in unhappy ones.

PSI may be the only place offering practical classes in relationships in Hawaii.

Comment

I'm pretty ticked off about the whole thing. It reminded me of something culty or scientology-like. This guy, my former friend, called us to invite us to his graduation - and try to sign us up for classes. I thought we'd hear his speech, clap politely, then eat and hang out for a while. Instead, we were expected to sit thru an hour long introductory seminar to this PSI thing. There were other PSI recruiters there doing all the hard sell stuff - to me and my friends!! I was appalled.

One of the PSI recruiters was pretty pushy, and whenever she would talk to me I felt like I was being interrogated, not like I was having a conversation with a friend of a friend.

There were cards that we had to fill out with the usual stuff - name, address, phone, email. It asked us to list 3 goals, and there was a part where you were supposed to sign off that you're not under the care of a physician or psychologist, and have not been for at least 12 months. I didn't do the card thing, and the PSI recruiter gave me a really hard time about it, and continued to try to bully me, even after I was refusing loudly. I mean, jeez lady, you want me to do a seminar about being assertive and getting what one wants, but you apparently don't respect my right to say NO?!

I left after half the presentation. It was an annoying waste of my time. I'm extra glad I left because I typed "PSI scam" into google, and there's a lot of bad and sad stories out there from people who let this crazy cult wreck their lives.

I'm extra ticked that this 'friend' deceived us. His graduation was a sales pitch. Classy.
                      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

for all of these groups, usually all you have to say to a recruiter is that you "choose" not to attend. They will usually leave you alone at that point. or you can "choose" to just walk out, as you did. Either way - it gets your point across that you're not interested. If you keep saying that you don't want to take the training or that you don't have the $$$ - they will just keep asking you "Why?" and will tell you that you could "find" the $$$ if you chose to. Since you didn't fill out the card, you won't have to worry about anyone calling you.

Most of these so-called seminars are all about making personal choices and taking responsibility for the choices that we make in our lives. Whether its in our relationships, our jobs, or whatever - we all can choose what we want our lives to be like. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Sorry your so-called friend attempted to suck you into his new world. That was not very cool.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
                          Most people have never taken even one class in them. No wonder the divorce rate is so high, and so many are stuck in unhappy ones.
                          Can you cite any kind of evidence that marriages among PSI adherents is significantly lower than the national (or international) average? I'd love to see that. I'm asking this sincerely.

PSI may be the only place offering practical classes in relationships in Hawaii.
                          It may be, but it's not. I know of several churches who offer practical—yes, practical—classes in relationship maintenance, especially marriage relationships.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

What is PSI? I've never been to one. Where do I call to get invited?

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Wow. If Aunty Lynn goes to one of these, I'd pay just to watch. Or videotape it.

Comment

Working...
                              X