Grading the Public Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grading the Public Schools

Thank you for your support, I appreciate it. Do you have any personal knowledge with Makaha elementary? My research indicates that while it once scored poorly on the tests, it seems to be doing better now...I would just like to know the opinion of someone on the island. Thank you again.

Comment

You can see the most public information available regarding the status of Makaka Students at this site.

http://165.248.6.166/data/school.asp?schoolcode=258
      Last edited by damontucker; July 4, 2006, 07:40 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

How is your kids school doing as far as others?

How does your kids school rank?

This is recent data on Hawaiis Public Schools... Click on your school for more info.

http://165.248.6.166/data/schoollist.asp

I feel it's important that we all know as much about our public schools as possible.

Manoa

Comment

If ANY child comes out of public school with an education, and does well in school, then it is safe to say that the schools & teachers are not the problem.

Send your kid to school clean, well-fed, rested, and with good behavior, and you will be astonished at how well our schools perform.

Pretty soon, good parents will rise up against bad parents in the form of grilling down on the bad/disruptive students in the schools. It will truly be a revolution.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

i graduated from a private school. i went to Mililani High School for one year to try it out. I HATED IT. the teachers didn't care about your work they only cared if you showed up to class, if i were to question something they said it was talking back and being subordinate instead of having a discussion. my experience was so crappy. i wanted to go to public school - i went to a private school for most of my life. me and my mom got into it and after i had a taste of public school i told my mom i was wrong and please send me back to private! just my 2 cents

Comment

I'm a proud graduate of the public school system, and of Mililani High School. That said, I credit easily 97 percent of who I am to how I was raised by my parents. No matter what the systematic failings there may be in any school system, I am confident that parents are key to success... and that bad parents are more likely the cause of "bad students" rather than a bad school.

Even if you send a good kid to a bad school, the kid will still reap whatever benefits there are while continuing to develop into a good person via his or her upbringing.

Similarly, sending a kid to Punahou or Iolani or Yale or Harvard is no guarantee that you won't end up with a psychopath!

Was Mililani High School a bad school? Not in my opinion, especially compared to some of the stories my friends from other schools told. Then again, I'd be hard pressed to remember a single thing I learned in a classroom... except for "everything else" -- the stuff that wasn't in a textbook or on a syllabus.

Comment

I went to a public school in the mainland.

I now work for the public schools here in Hawaii.

Working for the DOE you see a lot of the problems.
                It seems as though most of us in administration seem to put our kids
                through private schools because we know how bad the situation is.

There are good public schools and bad ones.... Mililani High happens to be one that we consider a fortunate Public School...

My wife went to Pahoa High on the Big Island and that is said to be one of the Worst... (Okay Erika... Blast Away... I know you graduated with my Auntie from there and you guys came out alright.... ) however Pahoa has changed since you guys went to school there...

And I would certainly not send my child there now... however, many residents don't have a choice as that is the only High School within 20 - 30 miles of where they live.
                Last edited by damontucker; July 5, 2006, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Without naming names or specifics to CYA, can you eleborate on some of the problems that you see in the day to day workings of the BOE?

You don't gotta answer this question if you feel like it would put your job at risk.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                    Without naming names or specifics to CYA, can you eleborate on some of the problems that you see in the day to day workings of the BOE?

You don't gotta answer this question if you feel like it would put your job at risk.
                    I don't work with the day to day operations of the BOE.

They don't even work together on a day to day basis.

However, if you would like to attend any of their meetings... you can.
                    They are open to the public.

However, I can say from a personal perspective... I think if we broke up the state level bureacracy that runs the DOE and broke it down to a county or district level... I think things might be a little better.

They are trying to do this in a sense with the Weighted Student Funding Formula... however, to me this is like attempting to take from the rich to give to the poor... however, I don't think this will even come close to solving the problems...

The DOE here in Hawaii is a very complex beast...run by a lot of politics!

The BOE website can be found at:
                    http://www.boe.k12.hi.us/

There next meeting with a full board will be on Thursday July 20th.

It will be broadcast state wide on Saturday July 22nd at Noon on Channel 56 (all islands channel 56)

Comment

the thing i noticed between private vs public are the teachers..in private school the teachers teach you beyond just passing a test or the class, they push you to work harder, in public school as long as you show up to class and do mediocre work you get an A.....

i also think if you raise your kids knowing the value of a good education and to push them to go beyond i think kids will exel in any type of setting be it private or public. i do notice that private school kids get the better treatment though. the other sad part of this are some kids that graduated private and have done absolutely nothing with their lives/education.
                      Last edited by CranBeree; July 5, 2006, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123

You may apply for a GE (Geographic Exemption) http://doe.k12.hi.us/ge/index.htm

Manoa
                        does anybody know why this page has been taken down? has the policy on ge's changed?

Comment

good one...

thanks for the heads up... will look for other sources of info...
                          Last edited by damontucker; September 12, 2006, 11:47 PM.

Comment

(3) Application for students who reside less than one mile from school, or are on geographic exception under section 8-27-5(c)(2) shall be made by submitting a written request to the school the student attends. [Eff 3/3/84; comp 9/5/95; am and comp 3/29/03] (Auth: HRS §302A-1112) (Imp: Hawaii Const. Art. X, §3; HRS §§302A-1101, 302A-1112, 302A-406)
                            http://lilinote.k12.hi.us/PUBLIC/ADM...4?OpenDocument
                            a link regarding transportation of students.

But I dunno what happened w/ that original link...

Maybe too many people were printing it out and saying... see ... it says here that I can...!

Dang... I no can find it now... it really was there at one time though...

Interesting re-direct though
                            Information removed at request of responsible office. Questions? Please contact 692-7290 or email
                            wassssup w/ that?
                            Last edited by damontucker; September 12, 2006, 11:49 PM.

Comment

yeah, weird, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                                wassssup w/ that?
                                Why not call the provided phone number and ask?

Comment

Working...
                                X