Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grading the Public Schools

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
    Why not call the provided phone number and ask?
    Cause I don't need to know that badly!

And knowing the state... I might get bumped around to 5 didn't people on the phone...then a secretary would take my name and number and not get back to me until next year!

Comment

My Nephews school I think is good and all but....

This was my poor nephews experience just the other week.....I don't remember having all that in first grade..
      sigpic

Comment

i didn't call b/c i was too lazy, but i did send an email. they got back to me today. they said:

The GE guidelines and procedures are currently being updated due to NCLB requirements.
        Please call our helpdesk at 692-7290 if you need questions or assistance with the GE procedures.

hmmm...

Comment

Which will take a few years knowing the way the state works...

another run around?

Comment

I'm so tired of hearing how bad Hawaii Public Schools are performing. If one kid graduates, and goes to Harvard, it's pretty safe to say that the schools are a success. Aren't all created equal? If Janie can read, what's Johnny's problem?

Nobody wants to cast blame on parents who send underfed, underslept, under-behaved, brats to a perceived baby-sitter. Those same parents will bad-mouth intelligent, hard working, successful people, who they perceive as the bad guys in their lives, rather than pointing out role-models for their children.

That's right Crackpipe Carla. I'm talking about you. And you too, Welfare William. Oh, and I almost forgot Tent-Town Tittah. Got 6 kids, with 4 different fathers, and can't figure out how to pay for them all. Duh.

Now that I read, on Thursday mornings, to the kids at my daughters school, I have seen the problem with Hawaii Public Schools. It's the families. Fercrisakes, there is one 3rd grader who is just starting to read finally. Breaks my heart. But I focus on that kid, and I know they gonna make it.

Somebody gotta say it !! It's the balls truth.

The problem with Hawaii Public Schools can be found in some families. The tragedy is that it only takes one kid to disrupt a class of 30.

And then you got the apologists, who say that more resources should be aimed at the disruptive kid, rather than the other 29 who can behave themselves and want to learn.

Put the paddle back in the classroom, and watch test scores skyrocket.

arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh !!!

ps - The times are changing to where parents, like me, are starting to point out, label, and complain vociferously about the select kids who are the problems. This subject is a real sore-spot with me now that my kid is starting school.
            Last edited by timkona; September 13, 2006, 09:50 PM.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
              I'm so tired of hearing how bad Hawaii Public Schools are performing. If one kid graduates, and goes to Harvard, it's pretty safe to say that the schools are a success. Aren't all created equal? If Janie can read, what's Johnny's problem?

Nobody wants to cast blame on parents who send underfed, underslept, under-behaved, brats to a perceived baby-sitter. Those same parents will bad-mouth intelligent, hard working, successful people, who they perceive as the bad guys in their lives, rather than pointing out role-models for their children.

That's right Crackpipe Carla. I'm talking about you. And you too, Welfare William. Oh, and I almost forgot Tent-Town Tittah. Got 6 kids, with 4 different fathers, and can't figure out how to pay for them all. Duh.

Now that I read, on Thursday mornings, to the kids at my daughters school, I have seen the problem with Hawaii Public Schools. It's the families. Fercrisakes, there is one 3rd grader who is just starting to read finally. Breaks my heart. But I focus on that kid, and I know they gonna make it.

Somebody gotta say it !! It's the balls truth.

The problem with Hawaii Public Schools can be found in some families. The tragedy is that it only takes one kid to disrupt a class of 30.

And then you got the apologists, who say that more resources should be aimed at the disruptive kid, rather than the other 29 who can behave themselves and want to learn.

Put the paddle back in the classroom, and watch test scores skyrocket.

arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh !!!

ps - The times are changing to where parents, like me, are starting to point out, label, and complain vociferously about the select kids who are the problems. This subject is a real sore-spot with me now that my kid is starting school.
              What you on tonight TK?

I'm not on any kine battle juice right now... baby and family are up...

But if this thread is still alive by next monday....

I get some input on this latest one....

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                Knowing the state... I might get bumped around to 5 didn't people on the phone...then a secretary would take my name and number and not get back to me until next year!
                This is exactly what happened to me when I tried to inform the Office of Elections that my name was misspelled on the absentee ballot they mailed me! First the lady told me, “Oh, I’m sorry. Absentee ballots are handled by the city clerk’s office. You have to call them directly.” So I call the city clerk’s office and the guy tells me, “Oh, I’m sorry. I will have to have the appropriate person call you. Give me your phone number and they will get back to you.

Guess what.

They never got back to me!!! I actually had to call the office again and remind them that it was their office that told me they would have an answer. The woman at that point told me, “we’ll change it to the correct spelling in our system.”

So as of this writing, I still don’t know whether my absentee ballot will count because it has the wrong spelling, and now they’ve changed their records to reflect the correct spelling! If this sounds confusing, imagine if you were the one who had this problem.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

My God. I agree with Tim!

Comment

Glen.....you're comin around. There's is still hope the schools, but it's gonna take years to undo what the last 30 years hath wrought.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                      This is exactly what happened to me when I tried to inform the Office of Elections that my name was misspelled on the absentee ballot they mailed me! First the lady told me, “Oh, I’m sorry. Absentee ballots are handled by the city clerk’s office. You have to call them directly.” So I call the city clerk’s office and the guy tells me, “Oh, I’m sorry. I will have to have the appropriate person call you. Give me your phone number and they will get back to you.

Guess what.

They never got back to me!!! I actually had to call the office again and remind them that it was their office that told me they would have an answer. The woman at that point told me, “we’ll change it to the correct spelling in our system.”

So as of this writing, I still don’t know whether my absentee ballot will count because it has the wrong spelling, and now they’ve changed their records to reflect the correct spelling! If this sounds confusing, imagine if you were the one who had this problem.
                      Did you tell them it was a Capital N and a Capital L in your name?

Comment

Glen.....you're comin around. There's is still hope the schools, but it's gonna take years to undo what the last 30 years hath wrought.
                        Tim, we probably still differ (strongly!) on what the best solution is, but I completely agree with you on the problem.

Like I've said before: if you want better schools, send them better kids. Parents bear the vast majority of the credit, and the blame, for how their kids turn out. So for me, the real question is, what can be done (and by who?) to improve the situation so that these families are raising better kids?

Comment

The kids must get the basics of behavior, discipline, morality, as well as the 3 R's. If the former is not available in the home, that makes it even more imperative that it become the standard in schools. We can have basic morality without the interference of the "god" thing. But we cannot have basic morality in the schools if the teachers are continually stripped of their authority and absolute power.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

The kids must get the basics of behavior, discipline, morality, as well as the 3 R's. If the former is not available in the home, that makes it even more imperative that it become the standard in schools. We can have basic morality without the interference of the "god" thing. But we cannot have basic morality in the schools if the teachers are continually stripped of their authority and absolute power.
                            Why is Writing and Arithmetic considered an R?

Or then what is the 2nd and 3rd R?

Reading, Riting and Rithmetic? (if were starting them with those 3 r's then were starting them out wrong in the beginning)

Reading, Raving and Relaxing?
                            Last edited by damontucker; September 14, 2006, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Where I'm from, it was retin, ritin, ritmetic
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

The 3 R's I was taught was:

Respect

Resourcefulness

Responsibility

* did anyone else learn that