No announcement yet.

Teacher and Students of UH sit down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Teacher and Students of UH sit down!

It's all about immediate gratification. The generation that occupies the 20-year olds now want it immediately. To graduate and get that high paying job without earning it. They believe that four years of college was struggle and now they deserve better...hmmm college couldn't be easier now than ever with the internet to aid in research and online registration (as opposed to Klum Gym and sweating on your registration forms).

This generation is all about "ME" and very little to do with micro tasks in the big picture, like that Volkswagen commercial of that young couple pounding the floor with their bizzare dancing. Instead of just turning the music down, VW suggests that they buy their car, bigger sound system and a new home. Ummm I think that commercial missed the point that we must all act together for a common goal.

And when it comes to campus culture, the Ipod rules. Isolate your world in earbuds and listen to the music you like. Where's the connection to the rest of the world? You become engrossed in the message you choose to listen to with your personalized playlist and it slowly brainwashes you to individualized thinking instead of global thought.

And Hence, this generation lacks the ability to rally a group as one because everyone's dancing to their own drum (Ipod) instead of a common theme. It's all about "me" or "I" as in I in my personal pod...Ipod...
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Exacto mundo Craig! The current online signatures at this time and date is 322, three hundred and twenty-two.

Students for graduate studies is over 4,000.

IPODS..............

The downfall of society. It's not suppose to be a "ME"

It's "US"

"SOLIDARITY!"
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Good lord. Apathy is as big a hallmark of youth as is blind idealism. Even when students were protesting in the streets in the heady days of yore, no doubt there was a good population that you didn't see getting hosed down on TV, sitting in the library thinking, "Damn hippies."

I discount the value of online petitions anyway, so just as I'd find 5,000 signatures unimpressive, so too would I not judge apparent support too harshly for only a couple hundred.

As far as a lack of coverage, I hope that judgement has changed. These kids are all over the place, and compared to their Bachman-occupying predecessors, they're pretty damn media savvy. Press conferences, prepared statements, organized classes during the sit-in, even extensive KTUH coverage and live internet streaming, for cryin' out loud.

I don't have a strong opinion on the UARC either way (you bet secret military research will take place whether you know about it or not), but I gotta hand it to these kids. You're seeing evidence of apathy and selfishness in this story, and I'm seeing evidence that idealism and activism isn't quite dead yet.

Comment

And obviously, it's not a big enough issue for enough people to get worked up over. I think this is pretty much a non-issue. Bleeding heart liberal I may be, but I still acknowledge that there's a need for the country to have a strong and well-equipped military. Now, how and when you use that military, now that's another question entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            And obviously, it's not a big enough issue for enough people to get worked up over. I think this is pretty much a non-issue. Bleeding heart liberal I may be, but I still acknowledge that there's a need for the country to have a strong and well-equipped military. Now, how and when you use that military, now that's another question entirely.
            Yeah, if we could just get a strong and well-equipped military to begin with. Did you know that some recruiters, in order to reach their quota, have signed up recently-released psychiatric patients and others who have medical conditions that during "peacetime" would disallow them from wearing a uniform? Or recruiters who tell potential enlistees how to cheat on drug tests? I wouldn't want that kind of Army. Draft? Did someone mention draft?

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

These kids are all over the place, and compared to their Bachman-occupying predecessors, they're pretty damn media savvy. Press conferences, prepared statements, organized classes during the sit-in, even extensive KTUH coverage and live internet streaming, for cryin' out loud.
              And this all done during finals week.

Comment

UH protesters declare victory as sit-in ends
                Craig Gima, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Thursday, May 5, 2005
                Protesters packed their sleeping bags and tents and ended a seven-day occupation of the University of Hawaii president's office yesterday after accepting a commitment that regents would hold an open discussion on a proposed Navy research center... On Tuesday, UH Interim President David McClain agreed to all but one of the revised demands of the protesters. McClain said he could not rescind the regents' action to grant provisional approval of the UARC at a meeting in November. But he said a final decision on the center will not be made until October, after full consultation on the issue.
                I think McClain deserves some credit for his handling of this whole thing. It could have gotten a lot messier if he, his staff, and the administration in general were as impatient or aggressive as they could have been. I don't know if I'd say "putting it off" is really a victory, but the dialogue is open and I suppose that's what matters most.

Comment

I just hope the kids who occupied Bachman Hall are going to keep the Administration honest by making McClain stick to his promise about keeping the UH community informed of any other discussions that go on.

Problem is, I understand that many of the protestors are graduating seniors, so who's going to carry the torch and remember to keep the Administration's feet to the fire? Or is this the Administration's sneaky way of pretending to concede and then hoping it will make the problem go away once the seniors graduate and leave campus?

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Interestingly enough, the Star-Bulletin published an editorial in favor of the UARC... UH should proceed with Navy research:
                    The university has conducted military research for a long period and should not be deterred by unfounded complaints by protesters... UH would join four other universities that have such centers: Johns Hopkins University, Penn State, the University of Texas at Austin and the University of Washington. Their academic prestige and integrity have not been tarnished by the military research. The Pentagon already accounts for $54 million of the $330 million yearly in outside research and training grants at UH-Manoa.
                    Retorts Ian Lind:
                    The editorial hangs on a single broad statement by the newly arrived vice-chancellor for research and graduate education, who is quoted as saying, "This is not significantly different from what the university has been doing for decades." Well, I beg your pardon. There is a world of difference between research funded by a Pentagon-related source and research that is classified. Classified research has been barred by UH policy since another round of controversy several decades ago.
                    At least this conversation is happening out in the open, rather than behind closed doors. Though like you, Miulang, I wonder if the fires will be burning quite as brightly six months from now. That's the thing about pesky college students... if you can't beat 'em, just wait 'em out.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      Interestingly enough, the Star-Bulletin published an editorial in favor of the UARC... UH should proceed with Navy research:Retorts Ian Lind:At least this conversation is happening out in the open, rather than behind closed doors. Though like you, Miulang, I wonder if the fires will be burning quite as brightly six months from now. That's the thing about pesky college students... if you can't beat 'em, just wait 'em out.
                      I know. I used to be one of them "pesky" college students!

Miulang

Comment

So much for an "open and accessible office of the President of the UH". Personally, I think this is an overreaction. Now the protestors will be COMPELLED to do something even more outrageous to gain attention if McClain doesn't follow through with his promise.

Miulang

Comment

The statement released by Chancellor McClain yesterday claiming he had not made any formal agreement with the protestors who occupied Bachman Hall is a symptom of the way business is being conducted in general in this country right now.

Way back when, there were such things as "gentlemen's agreements" and handshakes were as good as a legal contract. Nowadays, people will say one thing just to make the other side think they are in agreement, and then they turn around and reverse that understanding by stating that they had not formally agreed to anything.

Shame on this country, shame on the UH Administration. There is no such thing as ethical business anymore, and this country is going to pay for it in the long run. As I said before, the protestors will probably come up with some really creative ways to show their displeasure at McClain's betrayal soon.

Miulang

Comment

And of course he waited until after finals week to say anything, because there's no way you can mobilize students during the summer.

Comment

They're baaaaack!

Well, it appears that not all the UH students care only about themselves. Ikaika Hussey went back to a locked Bachman Hall yesterday to call on Pres. McClain on his betrayal. The group will probably figure out some way to get their point across that will be even more dramatic than an occupation of the President's office.

Maybe there's some hope left for the youth of today...the ones who care about making a difference and who don't use an iPod to shut out the rest of the world.

Miulang

Comment

Update:http://starbulletin.com/2006/02/17/news/story01.html

"McClain gives nod to Navy project
                                Other UH-Manoa officials, citing objections, urge the regents to reject the plan"

How fast times fly!

Auntie Lynn
                                Last edited by 1stwahine; February 17, 2006, 02:09 PM.
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X