Fundraising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fundraising

Kamehameha schools have to fundraise for reason. There are just under 200 different student organizations from halau's to football teams. Pretty much every student going to Kamehameha in the middle and upper schools belong to an organization.

The will of Bernice Pauhi Bishop precludes any support outside of education, however the board of directors will allow up to $300 per child for major events like the Rose Bowl or Macy parade trips. The rest must be fundraised thru each organization. The major fundraising vehicle for Kamehameha Kapalama campus is the annnual Hoolaulea at Bishop Museum. Punahou's is their annual carnival.

As for Kamehameha being RICH, yes they are in holdings and land assets however not in cash reserves. It's like President Clinton said once when home prices in his home town of Alabama was under $100,000 and Hawaii's was over $500,000 that anyone who had equity assets over a quarter million was considered rich. Well that mean't virtually everybody who owned a home in Hawaii much less the entire nation outside of Alabama was rich and he wanted to impose a tax on the rich...hmmm that died quickly.

Yes Kamehameha is rich however one must also look at how it spends its monies. First off the vast majority of students at Kamehameha at it's three major campuses across the state go there on scholarships funded entirely by the trust. That means most of the kids that attend Kamehameha don't pay a tuition at all yet get the same level (if not better) than Punahou for free.

Second, Kamehameha subsidizes up to $300 per child for fundraising events. The rest is thru annual Hoolaulea in which virtually all material and vendor costs to provide the logistical support is paid for thru the school, so in a way Kamehameha does pay for mostly all of the fundraising needed by their entire student body and it's in the thousands.

Third, as rich as Kamehameha is, it's resources are limited and must last an eternity for future students.

Fourth, Kamehameha has outreach programs that suppliment curricullum and material costs for public schools that 1) are in predominately Hawaiian communities and, 2) provide a curricullum reflective of Hawaiian culture.

Fifth, Kamehameha supports thru grants or runs satellite preschool programs across the state on all islands.

Sixth, Kamehameha provides college scholarships for all Hawaiians regardless if they're alumni or not. The only requirement outside of proving Hawaiian lineage down to three generations is to be a resident of the state of Hawaii.

Seventh, Kamehameha provides jobs for the teaching community regardless of their ethnicity. Being Hawaiian is not a requirement in this regard.

With all this spending going on within KSBE, it requires a huge amount of management resources to keep the trust active and financially solvent for future Hawaiians.

One of the things Kamehameha asks of it's students, alumni and college scholarship recipients is that with their education gained thru the virtues of Princess Pauahi's trust, is that they go out and teach the values of Hawaiian culture to their communities as well as to help educate Hawaiians less fortunate to have gone to Kamehameha schools so they too can in someway benefit from the trust.

My wife got her Masters with the subsidy support of KSBE and is now a Headstart manager out here in Hilo guiding Title I families, most of them Hawaiian, she never went to Kamehameha...she was a public school student graduating from Leileihua in Wahiawa. My eldest son is pursuing a teaching degree at UH/Manoa to give back to the community when he becomes a teacher.

My second eldest boy is working at Hawaii National Park informing tourists about the history and culture of Hawaii and how it relates to the volcano they came to visit.

Both of my kids are doing this thru the auspices of Kamehameha and both are alumni of the Kapalama campus. I'm proud of my boys for living the dreams of Pauahi.

And for that I volunteer my time for the school with my background in fundraising to help support the school that supported my entire family because we in turn support the people of Hawaii thru our efforts. This is what it's all about!

IMUA KAMEHAMEHA!
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; July 22, 2005, 11:01 AM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      Maybe because a good number of the students of Kamehameha come from low income families and attend on scholarships?

More importantly, maybe because trips are unique and special opportunities, and because planning and raising money for such trips are an important part of the entire experience?

What kind of education would it be if everything was given to you?
      The point I'm trying to make is that the RICH school should pay for it!
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

I think "rich" schools allow their kids to hold fundraisers for non-academic activities because they use their endowments for scholarships for kids who wouldn't otherwise be able to attend those schools. And it kinda sorta (in a perverse way) might even teach the kids a little about the value of money, since many don't learn that from their parents. Even kids on scholarships bug their parents for the latest greatest logowear in order to be "accepted" by their peers.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

For rich schools like Punahou, fundraising is a way for parents to stay involved with their children's school. As a matter of fact at Punahou, it is a requirement for parents to be involved.

It also teaches the value of earned money as opposed to having it served on a silver platter.

And fundraising as a private school's budget line item could never be justified as those financial resources could be better served in an academic way.

Fundraising helps students show that money doesn't grow on trees or in budgets in rich schools.

Whether a school is rich or poor, fundraising has no part in it's budget as there can never be "Too Much" monies for education.

Schools like Iolani and Punahou have sliding tuition scales and endowments as Miulang suggests to allow lower income families to take advantage of. It's not that well known but they are out there and all you have to do is to apply.

Fundraising helps parents and students work together for a common school goal. Schools aren't babysitters for parents to unload their kids onto. It's an educational organization that if be successful, requires parental involvement. That's what the education experts say and that's why my wife and I are active supporters of all the schools (both public and private) my children attend, and it shows in the attitude and desire to succeed in this world.

My kids know that their parents are active supporters of their schools and are proud of our desire to help their school. If every parent could help out their children's schools in some form of volunteering, schools could focus on educating their kids instead of reprimanding them. Teachers could focus on classroom curicullum instead of calling parents to schedule a meeting regarding their child's abusive behavior in class. And parents can feel like their actually doing something to help their child become model citizens in this world.

Everybody wins and it doesn't take monumental effort to do so.

Comment

My children are all adults now. I remember fundraising as being something my whole family took part in. Car washes, holding signs, selling port. sausages, sweet bread, Zippy's Chile, & Peanut Butter Brittle, just to name a few.

I went with my children house to house and instilled in them the importance of working hard for what you want to get. We shared the responsibilities as a team. When one needed help the others pitched in...mommy and daddy being the best buyers.

The rewards were trips to Space Camp, Camp Erdman, Kauai, Hilo and Disneyland. The face of a child that knows the value of how hard it took to finally go on a trip or excursion is PRICELESS!

Although I am no longer an active parent of any fundraisers for school or other activities, I buy and remember the memories of my own children being utterly happy.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hated it when it was a fund-raiser time when I was a kid. We sold "World Finest Chocolate" bars (remember those?...wish I had one now) and I have a vague memory of greeting cards at Christmas (you know, parochial school). And you NEVER wanted to return what you couldn't sell back to the nuns. My dad wouldn't let us go door-to-door and we couldn't hit up family members really (kinda embarrassed to ask and for some, not really an option even though the item was maybe a dollar.) So he ended up buying up all that we were supposed to sell. Boy, we had a nice stash of chocolate bars in the 'fridge!
              Last edited by btwnc2c; July 23, 2005, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Fundraising is always a challenge for a lot of us and in some cases intimidating to the point where parents are forced to buy up the allotment from their kids as in your case.

That's why alternatives to POS (Point Of Sale) fundraisers are important. It's actually amazing that people will openly give to a fundraising event such as a fun run more readily than selling candy, chicken, chili or other tangible items.

When tangible items are used as the fundraising vehicle, the focus is on the item instead of the cause. The buyer thinks I don't need candy so I don't want to buy any. But if the focus is on the cause then people will be more apt to give because the buyer is now thinking: That's good that the kids are enriching their lives thru this trip, yeah I'll donate, let me buy four bars!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  Fundraising is always a challenge for a lot of us and in some cases intimidating to the point where parents are forced to buy up the allotment from their kids as in your case.

That's why alternatives to POS (Point Of Sale) fundraisers are important. It's actually amazing that people will openly give to a fundraising event such as a fun run more readily than selling candy, chicken, chili or other tangible items.

When tangible items are used as the fundraising vehicle, the focus is on the item instead of the cause. The buyer thinks I don't need candy so I don't want to buy any. But if the focus is on the cause then people will be more apt to give because the buyer is now thinking: That's good that the kids are enriching their lives thru this trip, yeah I'll donate, let me buy four bars!
                  One of da private schools up here (da one Bill Gates went to) has an annual "yard" sale. Da parents and friends of students come up wit stuff from their houses to sell. Da ting so big now, it goes over 3 days and is held in one old Navy hangar! They make ucka piles money and about da oni cost dey get is to rent one place big enough to hold it (of course, took plenty time to price everyting, but I tink dey go make each donor price their own stuff). I went one year on da second day...by den, neva have too many tings left already but da place was still jammed. Dis kine fundraiser (or one auction) also good if you gotta raise lotsa kala.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    When tangible items are used as the fundraising vehicle, the focus is on the item instead of the cause.

small keed time, in kailua, the 60's, we would sell King's sweet bread door to door, ya know, those big round semiglossy loaves. errybody always needed an extra loaf o dat.
                    forgot what the cause was.... prolly was for different causes occasionally.
                    but I do remember it taught us keeds how to break outta our shy quiet selves through approaching neigbors we didnt know and talking with many people in one day from day to day. I think that is good for kids...

Comment

dang hanabata dayz i sold Boy Scout Makahiki tickets door to door in kalihi. peepz actually bought back den! lol

den we sold da worlds finest chocolate bars...

den M&Ms plain den with peanuts...

den zippy's benefit chili... portuguess sausage and sweetbread too...

now wen i tink of fundraising today... i tink of Koala Moa bbq chicken!! no can use da huli huli name coz trademarked eh! hehehe

whole split rotisserie fryers with keawe wood charcoal... mmmmm

my wife would be drooling now and i wud have to hunt down a Koala Moa stand to buy fo her!
                      Reggie aka pinakboy
                      Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                      Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                      Recipe Tube TV!
                      Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

My wife got her Masters with the subsidy support of KSBE

Made me think about something...
                        I am an alumni of Kamehameha and had some scholarship support during my undergrad years. Later on, when applying to graduate school, I got zip. No matter that I was going into education, wanting to stay and teach in Hawaii. Nope. Sorry, I'm peeved. If I had "gone away" to the mainland there might have been a better chance of having some financial support, but forget it with staying here. And I guess my being married didn't help. Sorry, I realize this has nothing to do with fundraising, though Zippy's chili is a sure winner, especially with the local crowd.
                        Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Working...
                        X