This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ruling Gives Kamehameha Time

I found this letter to the editor from 2003 in the Star Bulletin. It was written by Na 'Ahu 'Ula, a hui of The Queen Lili'uokalani Trust, the William Charles Lunalilo Trust Estate and the Kamehameha Schools.

It's a reminder that what's at stake in the KSBE case is not just the admission policies of KSBE, but the health and future of the Lunalilo Home and the Queen Liliuokalani Children's Home as well.

"...King William Charles Lunalilo took care of the kupuna, establishing the Lunalilo Home. Queen Lili'uokalani provided for the needs of orphaned and indigent children, and Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop established the Kamehameha Schools. Between them, these ali'i took responsibility for the elderly, children and education. Separately, each trust improves well-being in one way; together, they improve the well-being of the whole person. That was the vision of the ali'i.

All of us are nonprofits. All of us have policies of preference for Hawaiians. One of us, Kamehameha Schools, is defending its preference policy in court. We view this attack on one of us as an attack on us all. All of us were created to restore the well-being of Hawaiians that was so badly damaged at the time our ali'i made their bequests. All of us have been working toward that for more than a century. And all of us have more work to do...."

Funny how times change and yet some things remain the same...

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; August 11, 2005, 01:08 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

"...King William Charles Lunalilo took care of the kupuna, establishing the Lunalilo Home. Queen Lili'uokalani provided for the needs of orphaned and indigent children, and Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop established the Kamehameha Schools. Between them, these ali'i took responsibility for the elderly, children and education. Separately, each trust improves well-being in one way; together, they improve the well-being of the whole person. That was the vision of the ali'i.

All of us are nonprofits. All of us have policies of preference for Hawaiians. One of us, Kamehameha Schools, is defending its preference policy in court. We view this attack on one of us as an attack on us all. All of us were created to restore the well-being of Hawaiians that was so badly damaged at the time our ali'i made their bequests. All of us have been working toward that for more than a century. And all of us have more work to do...."
      Wow, I wasn't aware of that. If that's all true, then that information needs to be somehow shared and made more known to the general public and supporters of KSBE to help them appreciate just how much deeper the higher courts' decisions will impact the other two legs of the three-legged stool, which I'm sure just a letter to the editor would fall far short of doing.

Comment

Yeah, imagine da pilikia...one non-kanaka maoli makule kine person going sue to get into da Lunalilo Home and one non-kanaka maoli orphan going want to live in da Queen Liliu'okalani Children's Home!

Little by little...chipchipchipchip...

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Kamehameha Admission Suit Will Not Return to Lower Court
          The non-Hawaiian boy who has challenged Kamehameha Schools' "Hawaiians-only" admission policy has lost another legal shot at attending the private school for his senior year.

Comment

Re: Kamehameha Admission Suit Will Not Return to Lower Court

All I'm gonna do is pray that the early return of the kolea to Hawai'i really did signal that everything is going to be made pono for KSBE.

Miulang

Comment

At least one Honolulu resident is planning to be in San Francisco next Saturday for the big KSBE rally.

Miulang

Comment

KSBE was granted an extension on its time to prepare for an appeal to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Onipa'a!
                Miulang

Comment

Native hawaiians battle in the courts and in congress
                  This is like a 1996 - 8/6/2005 recap of events.

Comment

Now the kanaka maoli battle to preserve what little they have left is going to get even more interesting with the Grassroot Institute and Aloha for All entering the fray. Both factions oppose the Akaka Bill, but for different reasons.

Miulang
                    Last edited by Miulang; August 14, 2005, 08:16 AM.

Comment

For critics of KSBE who say that the Trust is not doing enough outreach to the kanaka maoli community, please read the following story and be pleasantly surprised. Even though the Trustees admit what they've done so far is still far less than what needs to be done, they have exceeded the goals established in 2001 to provide services to underprivileged kanaka maoli keiki in the community.

Miulang

Comment

Here's an interesting editorial in the SB

http://starbulletin.com/2005/08/15/e...xspecial3.html

I'd have to say there's definitely some credence to the writer's viewpoints.

Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen
                          Here's an interesting editorial in the SB

http://starbulletin.com/2005/08/15/e...xspecial3.html

I'd have to say there's definitely some credence to the writer's viewpoints.
                          On the one hand, I agree with Walter Schoettle, the writer of that editorial, that the Kamehameha Schools have been picking the low-hanging fruit, so to speak, in choosing to admit only the best and brightest Hawaiian students. It's the easy thing to do. The far harder task is to reach out to poor and poorly-educated Hawaiian kids, the ones who are more likely to end up on the police blotter than the honor roll. KS has acknowledged this and they're working to move in that direction.

But I was taken aback by Schoettle's "phony native Hawaiians" comment. Yes, full-blooded Hawaiians are often the ones who need the most help, but does it invalidate one's identity as a Hawaiian if you are only 1/8 or 1/16 or 1/32 Hawaiian? Using words like "phony" seems hurtful and divisive.

Comment

Glen,
                            I had to read that a few times myself. I'm not sure what his intent was - was he inferring that someone who is 1/64 Hawaiian is a phony or is he referring to people who actually have no Hawaiian blood yet claim it is their ancestry? I'm not sure. When I read the article, I interpreted it as the latter. I do hope that this lawsuit will lead to a refocusing on the Hawaiian keiki - not just the smart ones - it's unwise to write off "less intelligent" students. Think Einstein.
                            Ragin Cajun

Comment

This articule above from the Honolulu Star-Bulletin today says it all . This is how KSBE should take care of the Kanaka Maoli .....then things can become Pono
                              Last edited by alohabear; August 15, 2005, 12:46 PM.
                              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                              Flickr

Comment

One of the larger events being staged on the Mainland in support of KSBE will be held in San Francisco tomorrow. There's a candlelight vigil tonight also. We'll be in Kalama, WA today and tomorrow celebrating the 175th anniversary of the arrival of John Kalama in the Pacific NW and picking up some Ku I Ka Pono t-shirts to wear at tonight's John Keawe ki ho'alu concert.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X