"You Learn Something Every Day"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "You Learn Something Every Day"

well I learned one thing today and that is the lower gas cap hasn't changed the $3.88.9 per gallon of premium gasoline here in Hilo yet as of 12noon Monday.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Today, I learned that no matter how hard you try, you can't please everyone!

Comment

That I am stronger than I thought I was.
        Aloha,
        Mokihana

Comment

I believe the full quote is, " Learn something new every day, want to or not".
          Today I learned that you'd best not need a HMSA participating dermatologist in Kona, as our only one is booked until January. That's four months away. We really struggle here for medical/dental care, there just aren't enough doctors/dentists.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            So, what have you learned so far today?
            I learned that I affect my students more than I know. One of my students has been coming to school for a few days now, having crying fits in the morning (4th gr.). This is unlike her. Come to find out, my flaring temper at a handful of students has really affected her and now I feel this incredible guilt. She has been feeling uncomfortable, is feeling totally stressed out, and doesn't want to come to school---partially because of me. Her mom even told me she's been having nightmares about school and her teacher (me)! I feel horrible.

I've also learned that initially "difficult" parents can turn out to be some of the nicest people. As a beginning teacher, I am constantly learning. It's a good thing to remember, Scrivener! I think this will be a new activity for my students---to reflect on what they've learned every day. What a great thread this is.
            Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

gutsy post tiptoe,you gonna be fine don't be too hard on yourself.Remember the lesson and forget the experience!!<-----I get this stuff from AA "I got a million of em!!"

Comment

Re: &quot;You Learn Something Every Day&quot;

I learned that there is a town in Pennsylvania called Loyalsockville.

Comment

I learned the names of some of my classmates in my graduate classes.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Always label your backup discs with proper names or else a planned hour's worth of reformatting and reinstalling will soon make you cranky in the morning. (and no matter how good you are, never reformat your computer at night.)
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                      Always label your backup discs with proper names or else a planned hour's worth of reformatting and reinstalling will soon make you cranky in the morning. (and no matter how good you are, never reformat your computer at night.)
                      good advice
                      most awsome backup tool I ever used was "Drive Image" basicaly it takes a snapshot of your drive so from a virus to a hard drive failure restoring an Image includes all programs,drivers,files everything.Used it in my overclocking days to save time with drive corruption from the oc's heat

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo
                        good advice
                        most awsome backup tool I ever used was "Drive Image" basicaly it takes a snapshot of your drive so from a virus to a hard drive failure restoring an Image includes all programs,drivers,files everything.Used it in my overclocking days to save time with drive corruption from the oc's heat
                        Your discussion has led me to start a new thread "Harddrive Backup Needed?".

Comment

Today i learned that i can help a friend come to grips with hidden sin. i fumbled & bumbled but was forced forward to confront her. When i finally did (days later) i felt like God gave me compassion, since i knew i had the same sin lurking in my forgiven past. IT WAS TOUGH. But she, me & JC got through it.

I gotta say, it's the first time i tried confrontation (major direct confrontation phobe) & it really worked out.

Lesson: Compassion paired with confession = Release & Restoration.
                          Lesson: The light we'll shine through this will be longerlasting than any choice made in a moment(s) of weakness.

Thank you to the powers that be for this great confessional!

Comment

Today I learned that Yagura Restaurant closes half an hour earlier on Tuesdays than on other weeknights. I also learned that if you show up just minutes before closing, they still welcome you warmly and don't rush you through your meal.

That's two days in a row I've chosen a food-related lesson. This is not a good sign.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

According to www.plantithawaii.com, the acerola fruit was once grown commerically in Puna. The commercial plantings apparently ended when the vitamin manufacturers learned how to make synthetic vitamin C. I never knew this!

If your interested in reading about the acerola plant, go to the above site and follow the link to the acerola or "Barbados cherry". There are also links to just about any other tropical fruits and spices that can be grown in Hawai'i, including vanilla, cacoa, nutmeg, and cloves. Very neat site!
                              Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; September 21, 2005, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Tonight, on the way home from work, I learned that if you try to enlighten a teenage male driver as to the correct procedure for passing a motorcycle on a dark, wet downtown road by yelling into his car window as he blows past you *in your lane*, he and his equally butt-headed male friend are likely to then try to engage you in a shouting match. Then, when you end up next to each other at a red light and you smile and kindly observe, "If I borrowed my mom's Camry, I'd probably try to show off for my friends, too," the teenage male driver will roll up his window and get as far away from you as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X