Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Banning Religious Holidays

Originally posted by helen
    I can understand Easter and maybe Christmas being an issue but the other holidays like Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day and New Years Day being off the calendar as well? Since when those four are considered religious?
    Nobody said they were religious. The article said they were only going to have certain days off as holidays, and that there would be no religious holidays. Two separate statements. Read it again:

"Students in Hillsborough County, Florida will now have only three days off during the school year - Labor Day, President's Day and Martin Luther King Jr. Day. All religious holidays have been eliminated ..."

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
      Nobody said they were religious. The article said they were only going to have certain days off as holidays, and that there would be no religious holidays. Two separate statements. Read it again:

"Students in Hillsborough County, Florida will now have only three days off during the school year - Labor Day, President's Day and Martin Luther King Jr. Day. All religious holidays have been eliminated ..."
      If I was a student in Hillsborough County, FL, I would be upset at only having 3 days off during the school year, unless I also got time off for days that the teachers had to do class preparation or something like that.

Parents should be elated...no having to worry about what to do with the kids...except, what about Thanksgiving and Christmas? It would suck bigtime if kids didn't get those off (although the parents might like it because they wouldn't have to worry about the kids... )

Since I think there's a minimum number of days in a school year (I don't know who sets the standard in each school district), does that mean that the school year would start later and end earlier or start later and end on time in June?

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; October 29, 2005, 03:05 PM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I can understand Easter and maybe Christmas being an issue but the other holidays like Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day and New Years Day being off the calendar as well? Since when those four are considered religious?
        Memorial Day (sometimes) and New Year's Day (always) fall during times schools are not in session anyway.

Thanksgiving began as a Christian holiday - to whom do you think the (devoutly religious) Pilgrims were giving thanks, the natives?

Veteran's Day hasn't been a school holiday for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          when there is someday a non-Christian in the White House and when the majority of both houses of Congress are non-Christian?
          Wow. And I thought MadAzza was a "crazy dreamer." If I thought this was ever a distinct possibility, I would invest in cryogenics - just so I could be brought back someday to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
            Memorial Day (sometimes) and New Year's Day (always) fall during times schools are not in session anyway.

Thanksgiving began as a Christian holiday - to whom do you think the (devoutly religious) Pilgrims were giving thanks, the natives?

Veteran's Day hasn't been a school holiday for a long time.
            Well in Hawaii school is in session during Memorial Day and Veteran's Day is a holiday here as well.

Comment

Well in Hawaii ... Veteran's Day is a holiday here as well.
              Another reason to say "lucky you live Hawai`i"!

I recall Veteran's Day being a school holiday when I was a kid, but that support eroded over the years - glad to see that's NOT the case in at least one place.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                Another reason to say "lucky you live Hawai`i"!

I recall Veteran's Day being a school holiday when I was a kid, but that support eroded over the years - glad to see that's NOT the case in at least one place.
                I would think Veteran's day should be a day off for...well...Veterans! Not a sale to buy an underwire bra at Macy's for 50% off! Okay it'll work for female veterans.

But Memorial day is a day to remember our fallen comrades who died for our country. I don't see any religious connotation there.

Halloween, Thanksgiving and other religious days/holidays should be kept out of schools. Yes Halloween...you know them Wiccans?

Actually why should schools have any holidays off anyway? It seems this is more for the teachers unions than the kids. I say keep the kids in school during these holidays so the parents can have a day off and walk naked in their homes once in a while when they get the day off from work.

Teachers? Nah they already get Spring, Summer and Winter off to do what they want, not to mention the ever increasing Teacher Institute days that seem to be taking over the school calender every year.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  I say keep the kids in school during these holidays so the parents can have a day off and walk naked in their homes once in a while when they get the day off from work.
                  YAH!
                  Besides, if kids know that's what their parents are doing that day, I suspect they'd rather be in school than around the house.

Comment

Working...
                  X