Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Evan Dobelle: Fair "firing" ?

Originally posted by LikaNui
    Miulang wrote: >> If the intent is to "punish" Dobelle, then nah, Dobelle doesn't really lose much either way. <<

Here is what I wrote a while back, on page 3 of this thread:

Dobelle was forced to resign from his prestigious, highly visible and highly paid job after only 3 years of a 7-year contract. (The alternative was for the firing to stand; there was absolutely no discussion of him keeping the president's job.)
    Dobelle was forced to accept less than half of the severance package ($1.05 million instead of $2.26 million).
    Dobelle was forced to accept a 75% pay cut.
    Dobelle was forced to give up $1.51 million of salary. (For the 4 years remaining on his contract he would've earned $1.76 million; instead, he'll get $250,000 total for 2 years as a researcher.)
    Dobelle was forced to lose $496,000 in extra incentive pay.
    Dobelle (or his estate) was forced to have to repay $400,000 to the university for his life insurance policy.
    Dobelle was forced to lose tenure. (His 2-year research position is non-tenured.)
    Dobelle was forced to give up the right to the title "President Emeritus".
    Dobelle was forced to waive his right to privacy for all information regarding the dispute (except for confidential attorney documents). (Remember, it was Dobelle and not the regents who demanded that the last three meetings be closed to the public.)
    So, considering all that, how can one possibly claim it as a Dobelle "victory"? And if that's a victory, what the heck would comprise a loss?!?
    As for Dobelle's future, what other university will hire him now, given his track record here and before here? He's taken a major career hit. This cannot be considered a "victory" either.

So, do you still think "Dobelle doesn't really lose much"?

>> Dobelle is looking out for Dobelle, and the BOR obviously thinks full disclosure of its proceedings will result in embarrassment for some of its members. <<

Yes, there is "embarassment" for certain members of the BOR -- once the truth came out and the facts were published, we discovered that it was the Cayetano-appointed regents who wanted Dobelle fired over a year ago and that it was the Lingle appointees who talked them into giving Dobelle a chance! That took the wind straight out of the sails of those who claimed the firing was political.
    I never meant to imply that it was a "victory" for Dobelle. He can still probably find a decent paying tenured professor job anywhere in the country if he wanted one. Yes, he had to relinquish all the power, but that's what happens when someone takes what's given to him and exploits it for all its worth until someone catches him with his hand in the cookie jar (you know: "power corrupts"). Happens all the time, and not just in Hawaii. He will stand a much better chance of getting another job than someone who is a convicted felon who's served his sentence in jail.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Evan Dobelle: Fair &quot;firing&quot; ?

Today's Ilind.net has an extensive excerpt from Bob Jones's Midweek column on the Dobelle debacle.

Happy Labor Day.

Comment

Re: Evan Dobelle: Fair &quot;firing&quot; !!!

And today's Advertiser raises even more questions about Dobelle's practices of hiring his friends:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln01a.html

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

In today's Ilind.net, Ian notes that:

Former president Evan Dobelle made just two political contributions during this election cycle, $200 to Dan Inouye in July 2003 and $250 to Florida Senator Bob Graham's presidential campaign in October 2003.

His wife, Edith "Kit" Dobelle, reportedly contributed $1,000 to Republican Senator Judd Gregg of New Hampshire in October 2003. What's interesting here is that her employer is listed as "Cassidy & Associates", the Washington-based lobbying firm that has represented UH in Congress for years. It's an affiliation which, if correct, was not included on Dobelle's prior financial disclosure statements.

Comment

Re: Evan Dobelle: Fair &quot;firing&quot; !

I saw the same thing on Ian's website and was about to post it here, but BK, you beat me by just under two hours.
            However, I will add Ian's opening paragraph:
            "I've been sitting here in the dark querying the FEC's campaign contribution database via www.politicalmoneyline.com . You never can tell what interesting tidbits you'll find."
            Now, the question is whether or not the local news media will pick this story up and look into it. Anyone wanna make a bet on that?
            Last edited by LikaNui; September 24, 2004, 08:29 AM. Reason: Changed topic header from ? to !

Comment

Re: Evan Dobelle: Fair &quot;firing&quot; !

In the news last night, Dobelle asked for a second extension to give him more time to move out of the President's mansion and into a rented Manoa house.
              What, he can't afford to pay a moving company?

Comment

And lets not forget the legal bill to settle this whole mess has topped $1 million. The Regents say they saved big, versus what was in Dobelle's contract, but one of Dobelle's attorney says the potential cost of $4-$5 million is overstated.
                Rick Fried, Dobelle's lead attorney, said yesterday that the university should include Dobelle's life insurance death benefit of $1.6 million and other costs in its calculations and would have done better if it had simply paid off his contract.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  The Regents say they saved big, versus what was in Dobelle's contract
                  Actually, they did save big. I wrote a very long post earlier in this thread that itemized the savings: Dobelle has to repay the insurance coverage, the Board saved on his exorbitant salary, they also saved on getting rid of Dobelle's cronies who were hired at exorbitant salaries and who are not being replaced, etc etc. Bottom line is the Regents are paying less than half of what they would've paid had he stayed.

Comment

Nothing to do with Dobelle's firing but his wife Kit is quoted on presidents being isolated from the public.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=13278&rfi=6

Comment

• Re: Evan Dobelle: Fair &quot;firing&quot; ?

UH sees nothing wrong with public-relations contract.

http://starbulletin.com/2004/10/01/news/story6.html

Comment

Article on Dobelle moving out of College Hill.

http://starbulletin.com/2004/10/03/news/story3.html

Comment

Originally posted by BKHale2007
                          Article on Dobelle moving out of College Hill.
                          Or, "Article on Dobelle NOT moving out of College Hill."

Comment

I see that Dobelle has finally moved out of the President's house, and reporters were invited to tour the house and the grounds. Looks like the UH may have to resort to eBay to try to recoup some of the lavish costs Dobelle rang up during his reign:

Here: http://starbulletin.com/2004/10/14/news/index5.html

Miulang
                            Last edited by Miulang; October 14, 2004, 11:48 AM.
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

• Re: Evan Dobelle: Fair &quot;firing&quot; !

Originally posted by Miulang
                              I see that Dobelle has finally moved out of the President's house, and reporters were invited to tour the house and the grounds. Looks like the UH may have to resort to eBay to try to recoup some of the lavish costs Dobelle rang up during his reign:

Here: http://starbulletin.com/2004/10/14/news/index5.html

Miulang
                              YIKES! Part of it reads:
                              "The over-budget renovation of College Hill in 2001 and Dobelle's unfulfilled promise to raise $1 million to reimburse the state for the cost of project were factors in Dobelle's dismissal from the university this summer.
                              "The renovation of the century-old main house and an adjoining guest cottage was supposed to cost taxpayers about $328,000, but the bills shot up to about $1.2 million because of additional work, including about $147,000 to rebuild a historic greenhouse that is now too hot to grow plants in and $180,000 for landscape lighting that was later removed from the driveway."

Comment

ka-ching! and the money meter just keeps on ticking...add almost $90,000 to the bill for a PR firm hired by the UH to handle the publicity surrounding this sorry incident.

Miulang

http://starbulletin.com/2004/10/16/news/story7.html

Comment

Working...
                                X