Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bare feet in schools

Originally posted by mauiwahine05
    i can't stand when some of my mainland friends jump on their beds with their shoes on!!! gross!!
    Oh Yeah! Those mainland friends jumping on their beds is ok, but they better take off their zapatos! (How old are these friends, anyway??)

Comment

I gots me a 6 yr. old Melanie and can attest to the fact that footwear is required at her school. Sandals or slippahs okay, but gotta wear "covered" shoes for excursions and P.E. day. Didn't know they had "open" shoes.

This is pretty much the norm at all the public and private schools.

We have a bunch of mainland friends who've lived here at one time or another. They all now remove their shoes before going into the house. Sometimes, we have to be reminded when we visit them.

Comment

Originally posted by mauiwahine05
        isn't the dirt from the shoes worse though?

i can't stand when some of my mainland friends jump on their beds with their shoes on!!! gross!!

as for the shoes in schools thing, I'm pretty sure they require it, but sometimes it (barefeet) jus happens. LIke at recess, how are u supposed to run fast with slippers on (they always end up breakin) ? and then once their off, sometimes u forget where u put them or someone steals them cuz u can't always put them on your hands (like when playing dodgeball etc.) and then ur stuck the rest of the day without anything to wear. I think I went through a pair of slippers every 3 weeks when I was in elementary school (my mom wasn't too happy about that...thank goodness for longs $1.99 sale)

Now that I'm on the mainland, I wear shoes a lot and sometimes I can't stand it. Even in the winter I'll brave it and wear slippers.
        Eh get da terminology straight!! Da slippah nevah wen breakin up...da correct way is: blow out!!! My slippah wen have one blow out wen I was bookin it from dat gunfunnit pit bull!

Oh and regarding mainlanders wearing shoes in the house. I was told it was because the floors are so dirty they didn't want to dirty their feet. Ummm if the never wore their shoes in the house in the first place their floors wouldn't get that bad.

But then again we in Hawaii do things backwards according to them. We take a bath before going to bed. Silly local folk...floors are for getting dirty just like the bed sheets
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          But then again we in Hawaii do things backwards according to them. We take a bath before going to bed.
          Now, this is a habit I picked up only after living with the Alpha Female from Kane`ohe - and it makes perfect sense to me now! Your bed stays cleaner, and you have more time to sleep in the next morning, or linger over breakfast.

Just an example of what we do wrong on the Mainland...

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            But then again we in Hawaii do things backwards according to them. We take a bath before going to bed. Silly local folk...
            Comes from the Japanese, who take it even one step further, and wash up before they even get into the tub.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              Comes from the Japanese, who take it even one step further, and wash up before they even get into the tub.
              Is this the same Japanese wisdom that has people wearing slippahs in the snow? Btw the Japanese used to only bathe weekly so washing up before entering a communal tub was simply good manners. The Japanese are of course all about manners, even if it kills you. I'm rather fond of them for that.
              Last edited by sinjin; February 14, 2006, 10:33 AM.
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
                they better take off their zapatos! (How old are these friends, anyway??)
                whats a zappot? am i jus that outta the loop that i dunno what that is? it was in college so early 20's.

Comment

I'm also proud to claim that after all these years of wearing slippers and growing out of my tomboy phase I can say that I am still able to fix a slipper after "bustin out" of um (thanks for keepin me in check with the vocab...if you read my intro, u'll see that I was losing my pidgin and am happy to be kept in check) by sticking my shirt through the puka and pulling the bugga through! haha! (guess I still got a little tomboy in me).

Comment

During high school, everyone wore slippers or shoes. Well except for some of the drama students. Not sure why.

Comment

As a drama major in college, I will give my unprofessional opinion as to why drama students wear shoes in school.

By nature, drama students are drawn to costumes and outrageous styles of clothing. Going without shoes leaves the whole "look" incomplete. Nice clothes without shoes? Only if your "character" calls for it.

DizzyTaylor
                      :-}
                      Feed the world's hungry, visit: www.thehungersite.com

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                        There was a bathhouse right across the street from my apartment in Yokosuka, so I got that habit for a while. Makes a lot of sense. I never have figured out why we fill the tub with clean water, get in, soap up, splash around in the dirty water, and expect to come out spanking clean.

'Course, in Japan I was the only gaijin using that place, which got me a lot of very strange looks.
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                          Aren't you suppose to run faster when wear your slippers on your hands... at least I thought so when I was a kid.
                          The fastest kid would make choo-choo train noise while they ran....

Comment

Kamuela went bare foot until about 6th grade. Finally started wearing slippahz cuz da Japanese kids kept teasing me. Remember hating footwear but appreciating that using slippers would shut the pie holes of the other kids.

Maybe that was the original source of my psychological damage??

Comment

Working...
                            X