Best preschools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best preschools

When I mean sacrifice I mean personal ones where you put off your own agendas like college or career to fund your children's education. My wife dropped out of college to raise five out of six of our boys. I quit my highly paid, secured job of 22-years to raise number 6,that's sacrifice. We rented so we could live in safe neighborhoods conducive to good schools and we paid high rent as a result. We bought used cars instead of new, ate Hamburger Helper not once but many times a week. I would eat after the kids ate so I knew they would have enough to eat. Sometimes their hungry appetites left nothing so I'm raiding the cereal box for a late night dinner. We were and still are frequent shoppers at the Salvation Army instead of the Gap. We fundraise for our kids events not simply pay for the entire box of Worlds Finest chocolates, hitting all of my co workers.

That's sacrifice. Sacrifice also included working two sometimes three jobs so my wife could stay home and raise the kids and eventually use that time to go back to school to complete her degree program. I never saw my kids anymore working 14-hour days seven days a week. My mantra was always, I'm doing this for my family. That's sacrifice.

So how do you ask did I balance this workload and still maintain a healthy family lifestyle? Yes the workday was 14-hours long but there's still ten of those that you can use, so on weekend nights when the kids don't have to go to school, they'd stay up late when I got home and we'd spend the evening outside counting stars, roasting marshmellows over a cheap hibachi from Longs Drugs, going to the evening walks at the zoo. Staying up late even though I had to wake up at 4am Saturday morning to go to job number 3 knowing that I wouldn't come home until 8pm the following evening for another round of marshmellows.

Investment is when you take something beneficial and apply it. But when your financial resources are strained, it takes sacrifice to afford the capacity to invest. The problem with middle-class people like myself is that there are very little programs out there to assist us financially for things like food, shelter, transportation and education. We are the gap group yet we make those sacrifices to ensure our kids get the best we can offer with what we have.

Rich people don't have to worry about investment, poor people have subsidies to fall onto when they cannot make those ends meet. Middle class renters like myself at that time had no opportunity except to keep treading water. You can't pay that rent, sorry there's no section 8 to bail you out.

But we put ourselves into that position not because we couldn't afford the luxuries of a better lifestyle, we did it because we focused our finances on our kids education. The thought of home ownership was always fleeting. The thought of buying a new car always crossed my mind everytime I was under the hood of my Buick stationwagon fixing the fuel pump.

But thru it all we managed to send our children to Oahu's best preschool so they could get the best pre-ed we could afford and we afforded the best simply thru hard work and lots of sacrifice. The reward was the investment, the path was thru sacrifice.

Anyone can invest in their children's education, but with limited resources one has to sacrifice a lifestyle to fund another. We put our kids future ahead of our own materialistic wants and yes it has paid off.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      When I mean sacrifice I mean personal ones where you put off your own agendas like college or career to fund your children's education.[...] The reward was the investment, the path was thru sacrifice.

Anyone can invest in their children's education, but with limited resources one has to sacrifice a lifestyle to fund another. We put our kids future ahead of our own materialistic wants and yes it has paid off.
      Oh, I completely understand, Craig, and won't refute a word of what you wrote. No disrespect was intended. I was a single mom with 2 kids (one with medical problems); both on scholarship at a private school. It was tough so I consciously chose to not use the word "sacrifice" and always use the word "investment". For me, psychologically, it was the difference between the glass is half empty or the glass is half full approach. It was just a different way to think about it. I think we're just talking semantics here!

Now that my kids are out of the nest and older than I am I'm back to using the word "sacrifice". That's what I did when I moved to Makaha. I "sacrificed" living close to my work, friends, social life and having more interior space in order to live oceanfront; my dream. That was affordable for me in Makaha and the Waianae Coast wasn't considered a good investment. Oddly enough it didn't turn out to be a sacrifice at all. It was the best decision I've ever made! And now, after living here for over 13 years, it's even a good investment!

Comment

Originally posted by BuzzBunny
        I'm looking into preschools for my daughter. Any suggestions on best and worst? I'm looking in Honolulu, preferably close to downtown.
        Our kid did very well after attending Kawaiaha'o School, behind Kawaiaha'o Church. The go from preschool through third or fourth grade, I think. They may have expanded to sixth grade.

Our son was accepted at Kamehameha for kindergarten.

Good luck.

Blaine
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
          Our kid did very well after attending Kawaiaha'o School, behind Kawaiaha'o Church. The go from preschool through third or fourth grade, I think. They may have expanded to sixth grade.

Good luck.

Blaine

i think they are up to 6th grade now. Was your son in Aunty Deeanna's class? and what are the current tuition rates?

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
            i think they are up to 6th grade now. Was your son in Aunty Deeanna's class? and what are the current tuition rates?
            No, when we were there the Kindergarten teacher was Marie.

I do know that the current principal, (Auntie Sherri?) was one of the 2-4 grade teachers back then. She was really good.

I don't know what the tuition is now. It's been quite a few years since then. But we felt we were getting a good value back then.

Blaine

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

We will obviously disagree on "localism" but I like you craigwatanabe. You're a good man. Smat too. I enjoy your posts.

Comment

Thank you for all your insights. I have been looking into Kawaiahao preschool and just called them to try to set up a tour, but the woman who answered was curt and rude. I'd hate to judge the school based on one person, but it really turned me off. I'm sure everyone else at the school are great... It's unfortunate that person is the one dealing with the public.

Comment

hi buzz, i had a similar experience when i called the preschool at central union church. i had the distinct impression that she felt that they were hot stuff and that if our daughter were deemed worthy, then maybe she'd be considered! our daughter's too young for me to submit an application now so that phone conversation is as far as i've ventured but i do want to resist the temptation to overgeneralize. that is, i hope her attitude is not typical of the workers there.

anyway, have you decided to go ahead and schedule a tour or are you cooling off before considering your options?
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

That's great news, Blaine! I hope Kamehameha Schools will not be destroyed by all the present-day legal attacks against it; it serves a valuable purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                      That's great news, Blaine! I hope Kamehameha Schools will not be destroyed by all the present-day legal attacks against it; it serves a valuable purpose.
                      Aloha Leo,

This was several years ago. He's in 5th grade now, been there ever since. A couple of his classmates at Kawaiaha'o also made it to Kamehameha, so we figure it wasn't a fluke.

Buzz, I don't know who you talked to down there or what happened. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with them. All I can tell you is that we found the environment at Kawaiaha'o to be warm and welcoming, always. I suggest you tour the school and judge the facilities, teachers and the atmosphere for yourself.

Blaine

Comment

Sonshine Preschool at the Central Kona Union Church on Big Island.

I did my homework extensively in Kona 3 years ago. Checked out every preschool....religious, montessori, hongwanji, playcorner, creative day, etc etc

No doubt i made the right choice. My daughter is a "senior" this year. Every kid in her class is reading and writing and ready for kindergarten. The teacher is Aunty Susan. She is so good at what she does, you would think she had magical power.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                          Sonshine Preschool at the Central Kona Union Church on Big Island.

I did my homework extensively in Kona 3 years ago. Checked out every preschool....religious, montessori, hongwanji, playcorner, creative day, etc etc

No doubt i made the right choice. My daughter is a "senior" this year. Every kid in her class is reading and writing and ready for kindergarten. The teacher is Aunty Susan. She is so good at what she does, you would think she had magical power.
                          That is cool to hear. I have worked with quite a few teachers over the years and I just LOVE "magical" teachers like that!

Comment

This was several years ago. He's in 5th grade now, been there ever since.
                            Oop. Just call me Rip Van Leo.

Comment

Has anyone heard anything about The Cole Academy in downtown? Is it worth its price?

Comment

Originally posted by BuzzBunny
                                Has anyone heard anything about The Cole Academy in downtown? Is it worth its price?
                                It's owned by KHON2's Gina Mangiari (sp?) and she started it while she was still editor at PBN. It's certainly state of the art and you won't get a single person who is paying the tuition to say they aren't getting their money's worth, right? But I would ask to take a tour and really scrutinize that they provide a service you are happy to pay big bucks for. No doubt, security for children is a huge deal, and in the heart of downtown, imperative. Be sure to ask about the staff, too. Are background checks made before new hires are placed on staff? Who is in charge of security? What is the method of education? Gina didn't skimp, and I'm sure it's a great school. Just be sure it's what you want.
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X