Kamehameha Schools Admissions Policy - Chapter 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kamehameha Schools Admissions Policy - Chapter 3

And believe it or not, most indigenous people are VERY spiritual.
    Absolutely true. I'm not sure the Hawaiians count as indigenous people, but I would consider them to have been very spiritual. Not so much currently, I think, but in the past without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by brianca View Post
      Absolutely true. I'm not sure the Hawaiians count as indigenous people, but I would consider them to have been very spiritual. Not so much currently, I think, but in the past without a doubt.
      Yes, the kanaka maoli are indigenous to Hawai'i. The United Nations also recognized Hawai'i as a sovereign nation during the 1990s. Maybe not all kanaka maoli today are as spiritual as they were a long time ago, but the people who are keeping the traditions alive--the kumu hula, kahunas and kupuna--most certainly are spiritual.

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; November 23, 2006, 06:04 PM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

that's but one interpretation of the word. It also implies not coming from somewhere else which I think we can all agree that the kanaka maoli did, or at least being the first people to settle in a location which there is pretty good evidence that they were not even if you ignore the Kamehameha unification as most people do. I wouldn't use the UN as my guide for just about anything.

I also completely agree that they are many kanaka maoli who are keeping their traditions alive, and there are many of non-hawaiian decent that are doing the same, and I applaud that as well. Like I said earlier, remembering the past is very important. Identity in a community is also important for many people, and that's good as well.

Sorry for the sidetrack. I hope that the school is able to continue to run the admission process the way the want as a private entity. Lawsuits like this do far more damage than good. If it's not being run in a way consistent with the creation of the trust, that's unfortunate and something should be done about that.

I know that there are big changes coming to the way the school works overall, so maybe they will address some of those issue as well.

Comment

Brianca's posts are logical and well thought. Good on ya.

So let's see. Kamehameha conquered Oahu, and overthrew the government there, and that was good. White men overthrew the government that Kamehameha had created, and that was bad. Do you ever wonder if any conqueror had guilt, or if any conquered peoples were relieved?

Now I get it.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Native American activism - an alternative Thanksgiving story

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            Do you ever wonder if any conqueror had guilt, or if any conquered peoples were relieved?
            http://www.unobserver.com/printen.php?id=2848

Funny how the same Big Four companies, (Bechtel, Halliburton, Chevron, McDonnel-Douglas) with record numbers of "ex"-employees in the Bushed Administration, keep showing up in these Human Interest stories.

Comment

Re: then it won't. And justUS wins , Re: Kamehameha Schools Admissions Policy - Chapter 3

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

SO GO AHEAD AND BLAST KSBE all you want. Your efforts will probably tear down this fine institution and the net effect will be the demise for all Hawaiians when funding stops. ....

So go ahead and undermine KSBE see what good will come out of that. Nothing that's all!

IMUA Kamehameha!!
              Craig, you quoted from a piece I wrote, so I take it your admonitions are directed at me. Obviously I failed to avert the possibility that something (in that particular case, everything) could be lost in translation.

I read what you write about KSBE and when I am not totally behind what you have to say I only hope that I can be in front with as much enthusiasm and conviction (even when/if not as much writing talent) as you on this topic.

Comment

Brianca's posts are logical and well thought...
                Unlike timkona, who still hasn’t answered post #22.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Reply to Post #22....Sorry TunnL...didnt even see it

If there is ANY federal funding involved, then Title IX applies, which prohibits gender restriction.

The Idiot wrote a law called NCLB, that technically allows for gender exclusive education, which would be contradictory to Title IX.

The ACLU is fighting this battle on several fronts in the courts right now. And of course, they are strictly against any kind of "exclusions", or separations.

Separate but equal. Is it possible?
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

The case has been settled out of court (and the student in question has since graduated from high school), but I have no doubt that another suit will be fortcoming soon. Here is the official press release from KSBE regarding the case. The settlement details will not be disclosed.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

More harm than good will come out of this for KSBE. In trying to protect their admissions policy, they actually open it up to more scrutiny with this settlement. It would have been better to play they hand they were dealt at the SCOTUS than allow themselves to be extorted from.

This case was about money from the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                        This case was about money from the beginning.
                        Most lawsuits are. That's also why a majority of lawsuits are settled out-of-court.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                          The case has been settled out of court (and the student in question has since graduated from high school), but I have no doubt that another suit will be fortcoming soon.
                          Is your guess based on info from unnamed "friends" again?
                          And yes, we all know how to read links on the Advertiser's website, and many of us also subscribe to having Breaking News items e-mailed to us by the Advertiser, Star-Bulletin, Maui News, and other local papers. No need for you there in Seattle to tell us in Hawai`i what is happening in our own back yard, unless of course you really are just trying to pad your message count here, already the highest by a huge margin, as others have pointed out repeatedly.
                          And are you ever going to answer the questions in this HT post or apologize to the Ho family?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Settling out of court is by far the safest thing KS can do in this situation. If they honestly thought they could win, they would not have settled. That is the rule in lawyering.

Racism, racial separatism, and race based decision making are under attack in many parts of the country today. KS knows this. The publicity to be had at the SCOTUS due to the terrible nature of this issue is the kind of bad press that cannot possibly reflect well on KS.

After all, it was 8-7 in the 9th Circuit, and we all know that is the most liberal court in America, with the most decisions reversed by the SCOTUS. I would guess that KS doesn't stand a chance in the SCOTUS. It is ironic that a liberal court would defend a race based decision, while at the same time liberals would tell you that they favor equality under programs like Aff. Action, et al.

In fact, I will go so far as to say that by settling out of court, KS has now set a precedent that could be very lucrative for any enterprising young high schooler of non-Hawaiian descent. You pressure KS, and they cave. Money flows your way, and KS doesn't have to have the curtain opened. I betcha there's a dozen lawyers in the State of Hawaii who are preparing similar suits as we speak. After all, KS has plenty of money. And not a leg to stand on in terms of the race issue. It's a cash cow, with a small nick on it's head. And sharks can never resist the smell of blood.

And yet, if so many Hawaiians are suffering economically, then all KS has to do is follow the letter of the will, and open admission to the poorest in the State, which is tantamount to restricting admissions to a given race.

Settling is a crushing defeat. LOL.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

If they honestly thought they could win, they would not have settled. That is the rule in lawyering.
                              Not so; it depends on whether they are representing plaintiff or defendant. In the majority of cases, if defendant's attorneys feel they have a strong enough case, they will try for dismissal first. Since the defendant does not stand to make money, they will try a number of steps to keep a case out of court. Actually going to court to defend yourself is expensive.

Plaintiffs are the ones seeking restitution, so they will push hardest for getting to court. If they feel that the settlement is pretty damn good, they will often recommend settlement. Going to court to try a case is also expensive. The higher the court, the higher the costs. With a settlement, the lawyers know they will get paid; that's a very motivating factor.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                Is your guess based on info from unnamed "friends" again?
                                And yes, we all know how to read links on the Advertiser's website, and many of us also subscribe to having Breaking News items e-mailed to us by the Advertiser, Star-Bulletin, Maui News, and other local papers. No need for you there in Seattle to tell us in Hawai`i what is happening in our own back yard, unless of course you really are just trying to pad your message count here, already the highest by a huge margin, as others have pointed out repeatedly.
                                And are you ever going to answer the questions in this HT post or apologize to the Ho family?

Why are you always bitter for no reason? If you are going to be bitter...be bitter for a cause. Grumpy!

Have a nice day!

------

My cousin didn't get in. He doesn't have nice things to say about that.

Comment

Working...
                                X