Kamehameha Schools Admissions Policy - Chapter 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kamehameha Schools Admissions Policy - Chapter 3

I was surprised they settled. On the other hand, if SCOTUS had overturned the lower court, there would be no recourse for KS. Perhaps it was decided that it was better to fend off potential future lawsuits rather than roll the dice on how the court as it is currently composed would rule.

Comment

Glossy nailed it. And Lawyers will be lined up around the block to milk KS for all the cash they got.

HEY WHITE KIDS !! Listen up. An opportunity like this doesn't come along all that often. Now you can apply to KS, and if you don't get in, you can opt for the money. It's a no-lose situation. If I was a lawyer I would be on this like white on rice.

Methinks the settlements will be as painful as an appearance in the SCOTUS in the long run. This is funny stuff maynard. And I betcha this case is on the radar at the SCOTUS.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
        Methinks the settlements will be as painful as an appearance in the SCOTUS in the long run. This is funny stuff maynard. And I betcha this case is on the radar at the SCOTUS.
        Seems to me the kid didn't really have the courage of his convictions. Afterall, the kid was trying to make a point. He was never "wronged" by KSBE. He went after KSBE based upon his "superior moral compass."

Funny how money can make a kid like this say, "Ah, nevah mine, I take da kala".

Far from a "civil rights hero", this kid is just now another prostitute.

Imua KSBE.

By the way timkona, hows the 10% per year gains in Big Island real estate until 2016 because of the baby boomers going? Talk about LOL.

Comment

It's off topic, sorry admin. But I'm blaming it on Kam. You can move it to that other housing thread of you like. In fact, please do.

Hmmmmm....lets see. For homes under 2500 sf, and < 15,000 sf land, and Fee Simple, the lowest price home sold in Kona between 2/1/07 and 5/1/07 was $412,000. In 2006, during the same period, the lowest price home was $415,000. And just for the sake of edification, the avg price was $559,000, while the average listing is for sale at $685,000.

So yes, Kam. Technically speaking YOU WIN. But you better drink the champagne as quickly as possible. There has been a 1% drop in the market. YIKES, the sky is falling.

And for the sake of math and logic, the same parameters to compare 2001 and 2007 would show a 122% increase in the avg price, or about 17% per year. Even after this little 8 month "mini-correction", I'm gonna stick with my prediction.

How must life be when desperate hope for doom and gloom is the overriding concern???
          FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            Reply to Post #22....Sorry TunnL...didnt even see it

If there is ANY federal funding involved, then Title IX applies, which prohibits gender restriction.

Separate but equal. Is it possible?
            Now back on topic.

You really need to study your history. I know American education stinks but since you shoot your mouth off, you should know your history.

The Princess's last will and testament was written within a Nation called Hawaii. It was not written in a country called the United States.

I know it's hard but see the difference Timmy?

Comment

Originally posted by brianca View Post
              that's but one interpretation of the word. It also implies not coming from somewhere else which I think we can all agree that the kanaka maoli did, or at least being the first people to settle in a location which there is pretty good evidence that they were not even if you ignore the Kamehameha unification as most people do. I wouldn't use the UN as my guide for just about anything.
              Hawaiians do not speak Marquesan or Tahitian. Hawaiian language is distinct, Hawaiian culture is distinct, Hawaiian physical features are distinct.

Please name me another similar people to the Hawaiian people if Hawaiians are not indigenous.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                The Princess's last will and testament was written within a Nation called Hawaii. It was not written in a country called the United States.
                That really should have been the angle KSBE should have argued. The will was drafted just before the overthrow of the monarchy. It was as if Bernice Pauahi Bishop knew the overthrow was imminent and crafted the will while under the auspices of the Hawaiian Monarchy which allowed bias towards Hawaiians.

When the overthrow occured (illegally) all documents protected by the Hawaiian Monarchy should have been nulled and voided. However history has come to pass that the overthrow was in fact illegal making all official monarchy documents still valid to this date, including the bias wording of Pauahi's will.

I honestly believe the will mandating some level of bias at KSBE is still a valid government document by the Hawaiian Monarchy. Bucket of worms if validated? Oh man talk about a Pandora's box once argued.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Huh. Can't believe Kam School Board would sell out.

Think we need to call a Secession forum. Of course, that would hinder Inouye's clever pork scheme he's manipulating on Capitol Hill.
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

It may be pork but even I as a Republican, understands that Inouye does know how to bring in much needed federal dollars to our local economy.

It may be a sell-out but remember the party that brought on the lawsuit was satisfied with the settlement. The kid graduated already and probably got some chunk of money. If it weren't for the money the suit would have continued to the US Supreme Court.

In the end it was all about money after all, nothing to do with civil rights. Amazing that the majority wrote that the civil liberty laws were written to allow non-discrimination for blacks against white people and that it didn't apply to native Hawaiian issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                      Can't believe Kam School Board would sell out.
                      Give me a little help here, if you would. How does settling out of court equate to selling out? From a legal perspective, it looks like a very wise maneuver.

Comment

In the end loser pays all and in this case the 9th ruled in favor of KSBE so the odds of losing would have been a monumental expense for the kid but merely a write off for KSBE.

Yep a wise move.

Comment

Plus, the 9th Circuit en banc ruling (a rarity in itself, which gives it added weight) now stands as the "final" word - unless and until someone wants to take the huge risk and financial burden of battling it once again - and their chances of making it to the U.S. Supreme Court are harder than they were before, as now there is precedent.

The kid stood to gain nothing from an educational perspective now, only financial (and even that argument may have collapsed as moot, in the court's eyes.) Going before the SCOTUS would have been a total crap-shoot for either side. My guess is that Kamehameha Schools offered to pay out some small token sum, enough to cover the plaintiff's legal costs to date, in order to make the case go away.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            My guess is that Kamehameha Schools offered to pay out some small token sum, enough to cover the plaintiff's legal costs to date, in order to make the case go away.
                            I'm sure there are many (including myself) who'd really like to know how much they did pay. I wonder how long it will be until the info leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                              I wonder how long it will be until the info leaks.
                              I wouldn't hold my breath. If either side reveals the info, it jeopardizes the entire settlement - and there are usually hefty "contempt of court" penalties attached to doing so.

Rampant speculation, however, has no regulatory oversight, so...

Comment

Googling is a good thing.

The SCOTUS has already decided, in Runyon vs. McCrary, that private schools cannot deny admissions using race as criteria. That is what makes the 9th Circuit look like such a laughing stock.

Guarantee you KS knows this one, and may have prompted them to settle.

A little bird told me today that a particular, high profile, HNL lawyer has about 15 plaintiffs lined up and ready to go down this same road again. Deep pockets make great targets when said pockets are full of logical holes. I predict this will get to the SCOTUS in the next 4-5 years.

Since I was not around in the 60's to watch racists try to resist MLK's efforts at removing racial barriers, I feel quite lucky to watch history repeating itself. Most of the arguments are so similar. Weird.

Imagine the commonality between Southern Rednecks of the 60's and Modern Hawaiians today. Politics does indeed make for strange bedfellows.
                                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Working...
                                X