Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Private school tuition

Originally posted by Supercub View Post
    Also, in terms of salaries, I would assume that an entry-level investment banker at Morgan Stanley would get roughly the same salary, whether he/she attended Pomona or Princeton.
    Actually, most investment banks only recruit from certain universities, so maybe they would not have even visited Pomona (although Pomona is a great school). Goldman Sachs only had an allotment for one undergraduate from the top 20 East Coast university I attended, yet for schools like Columbia and Harvard, they had many slots open to hire new recruits. I wanted to go to one of the Ivy's even though my University was a very good one, I wish I could have attended Yale or Princeton partly because of what Miulang said. Miulang, thanks for the help and saving me the time to post something similar.

I want my son to have the options to do whatever he wants to do in life. I am not pushing anything on him, I only want to do what I can to help him achieve whatever he wants to achieve. As others said, education starts in the home and I spend loads of time teaching things him things, because my wife and I run our business from home. BTW: I would never send him away to a boarding school, I would have to move there and he would attend as a day student. Anyway, I think I was kept from the top schools because I went to a really crappy public high school in rural Virginia, even though I was something of a prodigy to those bumpkins and I had stellar SATs, etc., I had to find a retired college Latin professor to teach me Latin because that public school didn't have it. I really think my high school kept me back somewhat. It just wasn't competitive. I had to volunteer for loads of extra credit readings and educate myself, I graduated at the top of my class, but I am not a genius, they just didn't apply themsevles and were not expected to.

Thanks for your post too Supercub, makes feel confident to send my son Punahou, but I can't help but say, you might have gotten your job due to your educational background. Maybe, if you had been a public school kid and attended a so so non-selective university, you might not have gotten your job or not have gotten as much salary.

BTW, I do agree with others you can achieve anything in life no matter if you went to a public or private high school or Top 10 University, it just helps make it a lot easier to succeed or do what you want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart View Post
      Thanks for your post too Supercub, makes feel confident to send my son Punahou, but I can't help but say, you might have gotten your job due to your educational background. Maybe, if you had been a public school kid and attended a so so non-selective university, you might not have gotten your job or not have gotten as much salary.
      Haha. Yeah, that's probably true.

You seem like a good dad and person, Hobart. Good luck with everything!

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
        You got it figured out Hobart.
        Punahou was described as mostly Haole because that's what it used to be. Then the Asians decided they didn't actually hate Punahou after all and many decided that they wanted to go there and now it is a school that reflects Hawaii's diversity fairly well.
        correction: Punahou had a policy of limiting non-white enrollment until 1968.

Iolani is completely lacking in diversity. In modern Hawaii terms, Iolani is a sad example. It's been a mostly Asian school for many decades. While very successful in terms of academics, athletics etc., it’s a shameful as it exists within modern Hawaii's racial mosaic.
        I was there in the early 70's. My 1st grade pic was 40% haole. Didn't remember that many haole's and not sure what happened from then till graduation because it wasn't 40% when I grad. Seemed like a lot of them left because their parents were transients.

Funny how when Punahou was an all Haole school, everybody else complained. Since Kamehameha is an all "Hawaiian" school, everbody continues to complain. Anyone of any significant age who is born and raised in Hawaii knows what I mean here.

But Iolani being a mostly Asian school? No problem. Never heard a single complaint about that one.

Funny kine No?
        Punahou had a racial discrimination policy till 1968.

Kamehameha has a racial discrimination policy till today.

Today Punahou and Iolani and I would suspect Midpac all have a large % of asians because of the high prices. Not saying that asians are rich but a lot of asian families value education highly and will sacrifice a lot for their kids.

Most of my buddies parents were regular people who sacrificed a lot to pay the tuition there. Second mortgages, not buying new cars, bringing home lunch every day.

I got kids now and the thing that freaks me out is the effort you need to put out to get your kids into a good private school. They gotta be pretty bright for kindergarten. That takes a lot of effort and planning by the parents. If getting your kid into private school isn't a real focus, they won't make it.

(by the way - thanks for the stats on the ethnicity breakdowns. how'd you get those numbers? this is an interesting topic.)

Comment

I found this thread while searching for the cost of transportation to different private schools on Oahu. First I would like to say I attended public school in California and Hawaii. I ultimately graduated from an Oahu private school. For the comparision regarding mainland and Hawaii, from my exprience, I remembered starting my first day of school in Hawaii and found that the school work compared to my school in the mainland was about two years behind. I also noticed that my English teacher did not speak in perfect English but in Pidgen English. In a matter of fact my classes in that first and only semester in Hawaii public school was so easy I cruised through with all A's and became lazy. When I started my freshmen year in private school I had a difficult time because of my experience in the Hawaii public system. I was lazy and had to change again. It took me awhile but I finally got the cob webs out and ultimately did well.

I feel that the Hawaii government has dropped the ball when it comes to educating our children. First of all I have heard that it takes about $15,000 a year to educate one child. Now that is more then Punahou and the end result is still sad. Our public system has so much money but still the public school has sad results. Everyone says that the tests are unfair or biased. This is just an excuse that promotes laziness and no accountablity.

My answer is to send my son and daughter to the best school they can get into even if it means I have to work 24 hours a day. The reason, opportunity. I know when I sleep at night that I have done everything to give my son and daughter enough to open every opportunity they can take. If my son decides to be a waiter I would not fret because he choose to be a waiter. My son or daughter will have the opportunity to do anything they want and I feel Punahou or Iolani will help me do this.

Comment

Originally posted by agmataa003 View Post
            My answer is to send my son and daughter to the best school they can get into even if it means I have to work 24 hours a day. The reason, opportunity. I know when I sleep at night that I have done everything to give my son and daughter enough to open every opportunity they can take.
            How in the heck you going to sleep at night if you working 24 hours a day?

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
              That takes a lot of effort and planning by the parents. If getting your kid into private school isn't a real focus, they won't make it.

private schmrivate. Who fricken cares? Brah, I am born and raised in Hawaii. Kanaka Maoli. My great grandparents, grandparents and parents went to punahou, kamehameha, public or no school at all. You know what I see when I look at private school grads in Hawaii today? Not much different than I see when I look at public school grads. In fact, my theory is that Hawaii's primary and secondary private schools actually do damage by making kids feel entitled to success. That includes Kamehameha.

So let the Asians work 3 jobs, take home lunch. I can afford to send my kids to those schools but I won't. That includes Kamehameha which is cheap. I want my kids to know that they have to fight to survive. Weah dey wen grad no mattah. What they do and how hard they work does. Going to public school ensures that.

The one thing going to Punahou and Iolani does increase the odds of is that the graduate will live on the mainland for the rest of their lives. That statistic seems to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                How in the heck you going to sleep at night if you working 24 hours a day?
                Well, if he's a pilot, he could flip the autopilot switch and catch a few Zs.

Comment

private schmrivate. Who fricken cares? Brah, I am born and raised in Hawaii. Kanaka Maoli. My great grandparents, grandparents and parents went to punahou, kamehameha, public or no school at all. You know what I see when I look at private school grads in Hawaii today? Not much different than I see when I look at public school grads. In fact, my theory is that Hawaii's primary and secondary private schools actually do damage by making kids feel entitled to success. That includes Kamehameha.

So let the Asians work 3 jobs, take home lunch. I can afford to send my kids to those schools but I won't. That includes Kamehameha which is cheap. I want my kids to know that they have to fight to survive. Weah dey wen grad no mattah. What they do and how hard they work does. Going to public school ensures that.

The one thing going to Punahou and Iolani does increase the odds of is that the graduate will live on the mainland for the rest of their lives. That statistic seems to be true.
                  Going to public or private schools shouldn't matter but unfortunately, public schools seem to be slipping further and further. LA Unified has such a horrible track record. About half of each year's graduating seniors can't even pass the exit exam, which is only at the ninth grade level. People complained that it was biased to these students so they removed the exam so the seniors can graduate. That is not good, it's not about putting down the student, but it's about giving them the essential knowledge to "fight to survive" as you put it.

Statistics may indicate a higher percentage of Punahou and Iolani grads end up living on the mainland but has it ever occurred to you that perhaps these folks pursued career paths that Hawaii just doesn't quite have the ability to provide? Not everyone wants to pursue a career in tourism or medicine.

Comment

know what k? you're right. 90% of punahou and iolani grads go away to mainland colleges. the majority never come home. that is sad. that is a fact.

Personally I don't look down on public school grads. I only work with public school grads. We're all the same. I know a bunch of folks that went public school, make more money than most of my high school buddies. It's not about money, it's about choices.

If I want my girls to go private school, it almost guarantees them the chance to go to college. 99+% go to college if not 100%. And guess what, if my mom sent me to private school as a single mom, how can't I do at least the same for my kids? If you choose to do something different with your 14K a year, that's up to you. I'll be hopefully be spending it on private school tuition. And probably driving my '97 Explorer till the odometer turns over :-)

Comment

NO DOUBT! As an elementary public school teacher and Punahou grad, born and raised here, I can honestly say that Kamuelakea has the most accurate perspective. Let me tell you, going to private school doesn't guarantee anything, period. Education starts in the home, with parents taking an active role--regardless if your kids go public or private, trust me.

The only real benefit I see is that private school "pushes" and motivates middle-of-the-road and lower kids (kids who rank in the bottom to middle of their class.) I was one of those kids, and believe me, the pressure of knowing that your parents are paying thousands of dollars forces you to study. And don't forget, unlike public school, if your grades slip, you're expelled. (On the flip side, there were tons of super smart rich kids who never studied, fooled around all the time, and didn't care whatsoever if they were kicked out.)

I also didn't care for the social climate--too "white" for me. After school was over, I couldn't wait to get home to talk pidgen and play with all my local, public school friends.

In the future, my kids are definitely going to a public school. And if they start slacking, I'll give them more things to do myself, rather than rely on the school for everything. Aloha

Comment

I'm looking at an ad in the Advertiser right now. "Private School Prep, Part 1" airs on the KHNL news tonight at 10:00. I'm going to try go get home in time to catch it, but could someone tape it if I don't make it? I think it'll be interesting to see what angle the reporter takes.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          I'm looking at an ad in the Advertiser right now. "Private School Prep, Part 1" airs on the KHNL news tonight at 10:00. I'm going to try go get home in time to catch it, but could someone tape it if I don't make it? I think it'll be interesting to see what angle the reporter takes.
                          Does it mention how many parts? Is it a weekly "mini segment" or will it air daily.
                          Please keep me updated if you hear of anything else on it. I'll be DVRing it.

Comment

And if the reporter is Gina Mangieri, then are we talking about preschools as preparation for private schools, and hers in particular?

Nah! I can't believe they'd do that. No way. Unethical. I'm just letting my cynical side do the talking.
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                              And if the reporter is Gina Mangieri, then are we talking about preschools as preparation for private schools, and hers in particular?

Nah! I can't believe they'd do that. No way. Unethical. I'm just letting my cynical side do the talking.
                              Have you been out of the news game for so long that you don't know Mangieri is at KHON? You're just playin', right?

Anyway, although nothing any of the stations do surprises me anymore, I wouldn't put it past any of them to angle a story to their benefit. Name of the game.

And, Scriv, I've got all local newscasts going back years if you ever need something current or archival. I'm sure we'll capture the KHNL special report as a special para-newscast segment. Jus' lemme know if you need it.
                              Last edited by jdub; November 27, 2006, 10:25 PM. Reason: OCD of the Editor
                              Don't be mean,
                              try to help.

Comment

That was definitely a brain fuht for me, Jdub. I don't know what I was thinking! Or, maybe I wasn't thinking! My bad! apologies to the Divine Ms. Gina.
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X