Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: please help...I'm doing bad in school

Posted by Tutusue:
    Honest to God...that makes me sick. If you were 17 I'd personally call the authorities.
    Age doesn't matter when it's domestic abuse. If you were a 19 year old lady getting slapped around by your parents in my back yard... you bettah bet this braddah would be calling the cops....

This still seems like abuse in some form or another and braddah needs to leave before it gets worse.

Pua'i's mention of the military I like much more... let him at least get slapped around by the government!
    Last edited by damontucker; August 14, 2006, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I can't believe some of you. The guy is right around C-level; that's not failing, you know. Chances are he just needs to make a few changes. Why are some of you encouraging the guy to join the military, especially not really knowing anything else about him? The guy says he studies. A lot. His problem is not in his commitment, it's probably in how he studies, or how he's approaching his semesterly sechedules, or even whether or not he's got some kind of learning difference.

You want to ship the guy off to war. Some of you are opposed to this war and you still recommend Shredder enlisting, possibly to get his head blown off. Yeah, I guess that'll fix the problem.
      Last edited by scrivener; August 14, 2006, 08:46 PM. Reason: "i can't believe the news today; i can't close my eyes and make it go away..."
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scriv.. would you prefer he gets abused by his parents or sent to the streets of Honolulu?

Comment

Would I prefer that to his getting his head blown off? Uh...yeah?
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
            Ok...Shredder's parents are supporting him. It appears that's in exchange for a college edumacation! Nothing wrong with that. AND, nothing wrong with Shredder trying his damnedest and still having a tough time with his grades.

What is NOT ok...AT ALL...is physical, emotional or verbal abuse on the part of ANY parent. And over grades when one is really trying? Gimme a break. Shredder...here is what you wrote:

Honest to God...that makes me sick. If you were 17 I'd personally call the authorities. Get out. Make it on your own. Go back to college when you feel ready. Abuse plays tricks on ones heart, soul and brain. Mend those and I bet you have an easier time with school.
            I'm 19 right now.... and just forget it. It's my fault that they get pissed off and stuff. And I'm going to see a advisor soon to figure out a way to get to UH quickly somehow. I don't know how I'm gonna do that with low gpa I have. I better make it to UH right after this semester 'cause I don't wanna hear their complain about when I'm gonna get into UH yadi yadi yada crap.
            After I graduate from high school and told em that I'm gona have to go community college first then transfer. They were really pissed off hearing that. And I asked em why is that bad? And they don't answer.

And I don't see how a student can go to school full time and work full or part time to pay everything for rent, food, school fee and other stuff to live alone. My friend does that and it's not even enough to pay the rent. Just think, who would pay like $2000 or more a month to a student who got out of high school and still in college that amount of cash. BS

Comment

The percentage of soldiers getting their heads blown off... I'm sure is much smaller than the domestic abuse cases here on Oahu Nightly!

I think he has more chances of surviving the military then going through this depression and possibly blowing his own head off because he cannot succeed in his parents eye.
              He's sounding seriously depressed about this... in all honesty... it seems to stem from his relationship with his parents.... it doesn't seem like he has any financial way to break away from the abusers... Kind of how an abusive husband keeps their wife trapped... follow my orders or face the consequences.... at least the military will give him some freedom from his parents.

Comment

I have taught hundreds of students with demanding parents, and they all lived. I have one student who went to Iraq, and he got his head blown off.
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shredder
                  Ok I wasn't so clear in the first place I guess. Basically my parents are mad because I couldn't get in UH after 2 years in community college. Yea..it's my fault. But I did my best. And I cared about my grades. And it wasn't enough. There's nothing I can do excpet keep trying harder. That's it. I couldn't transfer because of low GPA and not enough credit to get liberal arts degree which is my major(still haven't decided) So is it really really bad and such a big deal because I couldn't get all those credits within 2 years?
                  During those 2 years did you attend college as a full time student (12 or more credits a semester) or a part time student (less than 12 credits)?

And people ask me what I really wanna do. Well I don't know. And yea...studying isn't my thing. And most of people around my age don't like to study either but they HAVE TO. I know that because most kids my age(I'm 19 by the way) like to go to beach, party and enjoy themselves. Who actually likes to study? No one does. But you have to do it. There's no choice dudes.
                  There must be some subject that peaks your interest, something that you enjoy doing.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                    During those 2 years did you attend college as a full time student (12 or more credits a semester) or a part time student (less than 12 credits)?

There must be some subject that peaks your interest, something that you enjoy doing.
                    I took 3 classes in first two semester in KCC. After that I was a full time student, taking 12 credits.

Comment

I'm 19 right now.... and just forget it. It's my fault that they get pissed off and stuff. And I'm going to see a advisor soon to figure out a way to get to UH quickly somehow. I don't know how I'm gonna do that with low gpa I have. I better make it to UH right after this semester 'cause I don't wanna hear their complain about when I'm gonna get into UH yadi yadi yada crap.
                      After I graduate from high school and told em that I'm gona have to go community college first then transfer. They were really pissed off hearing that. And I asked em why is that bad? And they don't answer.

And I don't see how a student can go to school full time and work full or part time to pay everything for rent, food, school fee and other stuff to live alone. My friend does that and it's not even enough to pay the rent. Just think, who would pay like $2000 or more a month to a student who got out of high school and still in college that amount of cash. BS
                      I'll tell you something, Shredder, when you're forced to live without a financial safety net, you WILL do it, however you have to. No, I don't want anyone to enlist in the Army, not right now, anyway. But there was a time when I worked TWO jobs (a full time one and one on weekends) PLUS went to school full time (18 credits) for 2 years, had rent and car payments, too.

Like I initially said, it's probably that you're not studying in the most efficient way and that's what's frustrating you and frustrating your parents and the constant digging from your parents is getting you depressed. You've got to break that cycle somehow. The fastest way, I think, is to deal with the frustration and depression. I'm glad you're going to see that academic counselor soon. I think that will get you on the road to feeling better about things.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

No one should join the Military if their heart is not in it.

Life in the Military is not for all.

Scriv, my heartfelt condolences to you.

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

In case your parents don't know about this, the community colleges in the state of Hawaii are part of the UH system, so in a way you are a UH student already (but not a UH Manoa student). Keep in mind that UH Manoa is not the only 4 year campus in the system. You could consider UH West Oahu or even UH Hilo (which a few of us here at HawaiiThreads have attended).

And if your parents ever get on your case that you going to school is costing them money, gentlely remind them going to a community college is way cheaper than going to UH Manoa.

Comment

I took 3 classes in first two semester in KCC. After that I was a full time student, taking 12 credits.
                            here lies your answers.. you took 3 classes in two semesters...if they were only 3 credit classes...then you accumulated a total of 9 credits in a year.
                            (two semesters equals a year!)
                            most people tend to take on average about 12 credits per semester and accumulate at least 24 their first year.... I understand you might not be able to handle it... but perhaps your low credit load is attritubiting?... maybe you can add some basket weaving 101 classes or weight lifting... or Ball room dancing... or something that maybe you can increase your credit load while taking a straing off your brain by taking some artsy type classes that you can also learn and possibly pick up a new hobby from?

Get plenty easy classes to help increase GPA...(some also will fall into your G.U.R.s)

dunno brah... wish you the best though...

Comment

All right thanks people. I got the message now let's end this. As far as my parents being mad and stuff..it's my fault and I blame no one but myself. Seeing an advisor is the best way for me now. I just hope that I don't get D or F in that chemistry class.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                                here lies your answers.. you took 3 classes in two semesters...if they were only 3 credit classes...then you accumulated a total of 9 credits in a year.
                                (two semesters equals a year!)
                                most people tend to take on average about 12 credits per semester and accumulate at least 24 their first year.... I understand you might not be able to handle it... but perhaps your low credit load is attritubiting?... maybe you can add some basket weaving 101 classes or weight lifting... or Ball room dancing... or something that maybe you can increase your credit load while taking a straing off your brain by taking some artsy type classes that you can also learn and possibly pick up a new hobby from?

Get plenty easy classes to help increase GPA...(some also will fall into your G.U.R.s)

dunno brah... wish you the best though...
                                Those classes I took in KCC were not lvl 100 classes. So it doesn't count as credits

Comment

Working...
                                X